Not limited to actual puppies.
Be they cute little girls
, or perverted old men
, if they want to play on your sympathy, they'll turn eyes huge
and shining with unshed tears upon you.
Generally, the younger the character doing it is, the more effective.
Often a forerunner to Ocular Gushers
. Tareme Eyes
enhances the effect. Surprisingly, plays very well with a Cat Smile
. Occasionally, the "victim" will respond with something along the lines of "Don't try that trick on me, I invented that trick".
open/close all folders
- Empowered, in a meta-panel, begs the reader NOT to look at her bare butt in the next story.
- But it's the only time in six volumes we get to see it!
- It's said that the reason why Peter Parker attracts so many women is because he has big brown puppy dog eyes.
- In an old commercial for Kellogg's Corn Pops a teen has to resort to this because there's nothing else he can use against grandma to get the last bowl of cereal.
- A curiously literal version is performed by Kalix in Lonely Werewolf Girl when she transforms fully into her wolf form to look cute for Moonglow at one point.
- In the Last Olympian Annabeth does "her big pleading gray eyes thing" on Hermes to get him to give her her mother's message.
- In The Angel Experiment, Fang lets Angel keep Total when she gives him "the bambi eyes."
- Jacky Faber, heroine of the Bloody Jack series calls this technique "the big eyes" and employs it to subvert the Double Standard in her favor.
- In Elis List Eli gives this look to Iria to persuade her to take her up Mt. Corcovado.
- The Pillows released a song titled "Tokyo Bambi" that seems to imply this trope. Roughly translated, a line from the second verse is "Whatcha smiling about with those Bambi eyes?"