Battling leukemia, young Eli Cabral-Macedo makes her own personal "bucket" list. What will be left for her to conquer if she completes the final hurdle – climbing Mt. Corcovado?It can be read or downloaded here.
Eli's List provides examples of:
- Bald Woman: When she's not wearing something to cover it Eli's head is bald, heavily implied to be the result of chemotherapy.
- Disappeared Dad: Eli and Iria's father is mentioned as having climbed mountains with Iria before, but he never appears and he no longer appears to be a part of his family's life.
- Do Not Go Gentle: Eli's decision at the end of the story, that she's not going to give up trying to beat her cancer and that she's going to do more things in her life than the stuff on her bucket list.
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Eli has acute lympyhoblastic leukemia.
- Never Bareheaded: Eli takes off her Botafoga snow cap only when she goes to bed. She takes it off before she climbs Mt. Corcovado, but she replaces it with a helmet.
- No Antagonist: No human antagonist, anyway; the main conflict is Iria and Eli trying to climb a mountain while Eli battles cancer.
- Passed in Their Sleep: At the beginning of the story Iria checks to make sure that Eli didn't die in her sleep, and is relived to find that she's still breathing.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Eli gives this look to Iria to persuade her to take her up Mt. Corcovado.