Recap: Avatar: The Last Airbender "The Desert"
"What are you doing?"
"Trying to keep everyone together."
Picking up from the events of the previous episode, the Gaang are forced to make their way out of the Si Wong Desert on foot. Aang is depressed and enraged over the loss of Appa, Toph is blind in sand, and Sokka and Momo end up on a Mushroom Samba
after drinking liquid from the inside of a cactus, leaving Katara to hold the team together singlehandedly. Eventually, they find one of the boat... ish craft the local Sandbenders use to get around, and are then confronted by the very Sandbenders who stole Appa. Toph recognizes this fact by their voices, which pushes Aang's Berserk Button
. While just about everyone flees the wrath of the Avatar State, Katara
advances into the gale and adminsters a Cooldown Hug
. The episode ends with the two of them weeping in each other's arms.
Meanwhile, Iroh and Zuko are ambushed by the Rough Rhinos last seen in "Avatar Day
." When Zuko asks Iroh if he has any friends that aren't
trying to kill him, Iroh leads them to the Misty Palms Oasis in search of an old friend. This man, Fung, is sitting at a pai sho table, and the two create the icon of a lotus blossom on the board. This is evidently a secret handshake of some sort for "The Order of the White Lotus," which Uncle Iroh is a high-ranking member of, and Fung helps smuggle the two to Ba Sing Se—right under the noses of Xin Fu and Master Yu, Toph's pursuers, who have decided to engage in a little bounty-hunting on the side.
- All Deserts Have Cacti: Sokka and Momo get high off of one, but it's the only one they see.
- Bad-Guy Bar: The bar at the Misty Palms Oasis.
- Bar Brawl: Incited by Fung to provide Iroh and Zuko with an escape from Yu and Xin Fu.
- Cooldown Hug: Katara gives one to Aang at the very end of the episode.
- Despair Event Horizon: Aang inches closer to it as the episode goes on, culminating in him going into the Avatar State when he finally finds the sandbenders. Katara brings him out of it before he can do them any serious harm.
- Everything Makes a Mushroom: Aang creates a mushroom cloud in the sand out of rage.
- Forgot I Could Fly: While Sokka is high on cactus juice, he forgets Katara is a waterbender.
- Genre Savvy: When Xin Fu wants to grab Zuko and Iroh for their bounties now, Master Yu points out that doing so in a Bad-Guy Bar would be difficult. Xin Fu, however, can't sit still for long.
"This place is full of desperate characters. If they find out we're collecting a bounty, we might have to fight them all just to keep our prize."
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Double subverted. "Si Wong Desert" doesn't sound so bad at first, until you realize "Si Wong" is Chinese for "death", or "to die".
- Informed Ability: Iroh says the Rough Rhinos are a very capable singing group.
- Intoxication Ensues: For Sokka.
- Large Ham: Sokka. Jack DeSena was having a LOT of fun with this episode.
- Mushroom Samba: Sokka (and Momo) spend most of the episode having one.
- Oh, Crap: The sandbenders when they realize that they stole the Avatar's bison, and they have no way of getting it back. Even more so when Aang goes into the Avatar State and they realize that a Physical God has it in for them. Yeah, he calms down, but those guys must have had nightmares.
- OoC Is Serious Business: Aang is clearly not himself due to his rage over losing Appa. After recovering Momo from the Buzzard Wasp that had snatched him away, he kills it as it's retreating. For Aang, that's a pretty big deal.
- Open the Iris: Sokka in his Mushroom Samba.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The chief of the sand benders seemed to have no part of the theft, and while figuring out what had happened mentions they should offer the Gaang hospitality. Unfortunately Aang is too far gone and he does little good.
- Sand Is Water
- Shown Their Work: The star map? Matches the night sky from "The Waterbending Master".
- Sniff Sniff Nom: Sokka does this to the slime covering the walls of the Buzzard Wasps' cave.
Katara: You've been hallucinating on cactus juice all day, and then you just lick something you find stuck to the wall of a cave?!
Sokka: I have a natural curiosity.
- Team Mom: The Episode.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Master Yu and Xin Fu take a detour from their job of finding Toph for her father to try to collect the bounty on Zuko and Iroh.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: The Gaang trying to make their way out of the desert is paralleled with Zuko and Iroh trying to elude the Rough Rhinos and Master Yu and Xin Fu. No interaction.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Toph recognized the voice of the sandbender who captured Appa and mentioned how he put a muzzle on him, causing Aang to go into the Avatar State out of rage, with only Katara stopping him. Justified she didn't know about or witness Aang getting enraged and entering the Avatar State prior to the episode.
- Visual Pun: During his Mushroom Samba, Sokka is able to flap his arms in an unnatural manner; in short, he's an armbender.
- Also, the animals that attack them are called Buzzard Wasps, a hybrid of Buzzards and Bees.
- Voice of the Legion: Aang does this at the end, while in the Avatar State. It's really creepy, both for the audience and for the sandbenders his rage is currently directed towards (see Oh, Crap).
- What the Hell, Hero?: The first scene has Aang chastise Toph for letting the Sandbenders capture Appa. Though it's actually a subversion of sorts, as Toph did the best she could to save Appa, and Aang lashing out at her is unjustified.