open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Rosario + Vampire, Moka is eaten by a plant monster. Inner Moka then literally kicks her way out of the monster's stomach.
- Near the start of the 3×3 Eyes is a variation. Yakumo doesn't really have any powers yet, but manages to kill a monster (temporarily anyway) by shoving a summoning staff into its mouth and summoning Takuhi inside it to burst its stomach from within.
- Naruto was once swallowed by a gigantic snake summoned by the Big Bad. He escaped by making so many clones of himself that it burst.
- In YuYu Hakusho Three Kings Arc, Shishiwakamaru done this to a Giant Mook.
- In Attack on Titan, the first time Eren discovers his ability to transform into a Titan, he's inside the stomach of one. The Titan actually falls over and Eren bursts out from its back.
- Kinnikuman did this to defeat the Bottomless Alien in one of his few genuine victories before the Genre Shift.
- In The Seven Deadly Sins, Hawk the Pig gets swallowed by a dragon, then chews his way out.
- In the first Queen's Blade Grimoire OVA, Zara and her grandmother get swallowed by The Big Bad Wolf. Just as it's about to attack Alicia, Zara suddenly rams her fist right through the wolf's stomach and crawls out. Unfortunately, her grandmother was already dead.
- Multiple Man of the X-Men would do this by sticking his hand in an enemy's mouth and creating a bunch of duplicates of himself, effectively bursting the person from the inside out.
- Invoked in Nextwave, where the plan to defeat Fing Fang Foom involves Aaron Stack jumping into the monster's mouth specifically so he can cut it apart from the inside.
- In the series Demon Knights, Etrigan climbs inside a dragon's mouth to cast a spell and make it explode from the inside.
- In Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. Frankenstein is swallowed by a mountain-sized monster. A page later he bursts out of its body with his sword in one hand and its heart in the other. The "why didn't it chew him" factor is justified here as the creature is so gargantuan Frankenstein's not much more than a crumb to it.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Phyla-Vell gets fed to the Dragon of the Moon by Maelstrom. A few pages later, she slices her way out, holding her girlfriend Moondragon, and sporting a much darker look than she had going in (turns out she made a deal with Oblivion so she could live).
Films — Animation
- Hercules defeats the hydra this way in the Disney adaptation of the legend. Unfortunately, it comes back to life with three more heads ...
- The dragon scene from The Pagemaster. After Richard is eaten by a dragon, he makes a beanstalk appear by opening a book entitled Jack and the Beanstalk that was also inside the dragon's stomach, and uses it to escape.
- In the Planet Hulk animated film, the angry green giant himself jumps into the flaming mechanical jaws of a robot worm only to pop out minutes later through its chest, tearing out what could be assumed to be its intestines with it.
Films — Live-Action
- In the Hellboy movie, the titular hero kills the monster at the end by letting the monster grab him, and yanking the pins out of an entire belt of grenades just before the monster swallowed.
- K in Men in Black does this when he talks the giant alien cockroach—who had earlier eaten both his and J's guns — into swallowing him whole. His explanation to J prior to doing this was "I'm goin' to get my gun back." He does, and proceeds to blast said giant alien cockroach in two from the inside out.
J: You better ease up out of my face before something bad happen to you.
(A glow appears in Edgar's stomach as K's BFG warms up)
J: (smirking) Too late.
- The alien assassin from Men in Black II is tricked into flying down Jeff the giant worm-creature's gullet, but grows large enough to burst out of him for a final battle with J.
- Just before the climax of the first Live-Action Guyver film, while the Guyver is undergoing its regeneration, its Control Metal is accidentally swallowed by an unfortunate Zoanoid, who has his gut sliced open by the revived Guyver.
- Lampshaded and subverted in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 after Drax leaps into the many-toothed mouth of a Starfish Alien.
Gamora: He said the skin is too thick to be pierced from the outside, so—
Star-Lord: Wait, that doesn't make any sense!
Gamora: I tried telling him that!
Star-Lord: It's the same level of thickness from the inside as from the outside.
Gamora: I realize that.
- In "The Stranger" the group are morphed as cockroaches and get eaten by a Taxxon, after a brief conversation with The Ellimist they start demorphing inside the Taxxon's guts, causing it to burst open.
- Tobias and Rachel are swallowed whole by a Kronosaur in Megamorphs #2. Rachel proceeds to use her grizzly bear morph to rip her way out.
- In the Book of Swords novel Woundhealer's Story, Zoltan is swallowed whole by an enormous dragon. Fortunately, he happens to be carrying the magic sword Dragonslicer, and is able to cut his way out.
- Mordant's Need. How Space Marine Darsint kills a gigantic Sand Worm.
- In Starlight And Shadows, the berserker Fyodor is swallowed whole by a giant squid. He proceeds to cut his way out of it, killing it in the process.
- Piper and Grams were once eaten by the Big Bad Wolf. Piper uses her power to blow the fairy tale beast to smithereens while she was still inside of it.
- Earlier in the series, Piper's plan to defeat a demon was to let it eat both her and her sisters. Prue would then use her powers to blow it up. Fortunately, they didn't have to do it this way.
- While it's unclear whether Buffy was actually ingested by the monster, in one episode she defeats this mother of body snatching beasts by slicing it with a pickaxe, presumably from the inside out.
- In the Golden Legend, this is how Saint Margaret of Antioch survived her first martyrdom phase. She was to be eaten alive by a huge snake (for some, Satan in the form of a dragon), but her cross pendant irritated the dragon/snake's innards and it burst open, with an unharmed Margaret popping out of it.
- In Dungeons & Dragons, PCs that get eaten by huge monsters sometimes have to cut their way out. Sometimes it's actually a good idea, as its stomach does less damage than its outside. Savvy players will elect to attack the giant beast's heart or other internal organs while inside, and presumably after cutting through its stomach. Your GM will have to decide how well it works.
- This was completely and hilariously averted in 3.0 and 3.5, where any number of things (Tyrannosaurs, giant sharks, purple worms) could swallow you whole, requiring you to cut your way out... but slicing a giant hole in the critter didn't deal any actual damage to it, and "Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out."
- One Spelljammer module has a gammaroid (colossal turtle) who met a primary Witchlight Marauder. Which is the first stage of an artificial Horde of Alien Locusts—it's designed to spawn monsters that end up stripping a whole planet of everything organic. Gammaroids in average are five times bigger than this, so the turtle had a nice snack. Then secondaries hatched. All that remained is an enormous shell with bones inside.
- In Dante's Inferno, Dante finishes off Cerberus' last head by letting it grab him, then blasts it with his Cross before it has a chance to swallow.
- Kratos does this to Cronos in God of War 3 in probably the mother of all Colossus Climb battles.
- In NetHack this is in fact the safest way to kill some of the bosses.
- Halfway through the first boss fight in The New Zealand Story, the ice whale you're fighting swallows you. You have to shoot it while avoiding the drops of acid in order to destroy it from within.
- In Tales of Legendia, the largest monsters in the game are too big for Senel to throw, so instead of throwing them, he'll invoke the trope by jumping into their mouths and pummeling them from the inside while they're dazed from being knocked down.
- During one boss fight in Yoshi's Island, Yoshi and Baby Mario are shrunk and eaten by a frog. You then "defeat" the frog from within its stomach by throwing eggs at a uvula-like appendage.
- The Riftworm in Gears of War 2 meets its end after swallowing the protagonists, who return the favor by making their way through its body and cutting out its hearts.
- In The Visitor, the alien's first victim is a frog who thinks it looks tasty and slurps the little guy up with its tongue. The frog explodes a second later, and the alien is noticeably larger. The visitor later flies into a sleeping guy's open mouth. He doesn't fare any better than the frog.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Xi Wangmu has the terrible habit of eating people whole. This bites her back in the ass when the Ring of Gaea members she ate keep fighting from the inside, crippling her and destroying her once-flawless defense.
- Starfox Adventures: The first boss, Galdon, swallows the first Spellstone and Fox himself at the start of the boss fight, so Fox has to attack the Spellstone that is in his gut until he upchucks both of them.
- 8-Bit Theater:
- Red Mage does this to a dragon using frost magic. Interestingly, the dragon was only acting in self-defense and was perfectly happy to help the remaining Light Warriors when they didn't attack. Indeed RM killed him halfway through, making them some fireproof armour.
- Later, he defeated Kraken this way, bisecting him from the inside with his sword.
- In Chirault, Kiran gets swallowed by a demon, then hacks his way out with his Blade on a Stick.
- In The Order of the Stick, V gets eaten by a dragon, and uses a Shapechange spell to burst his/her way out... appropriately enough, by transforming into a dragon.
- Schlock Mercenary has a few incidents of this happening—
- An amphibious monster once chomped Tagon in the middle of his talk about security. The critter had just enough time to worry about the leg in Powered Armor it can't bite through before Tagon used his sidearm to make a new exit out of its mouth.
- Lieutenant Commander Der Trihs was once eaten by a giant shark. He perforated its stomach with his sidearm and then tore his way out.
- "The Pier" illustrates why it's always a good idea to chew your food.
- Adventure Time: Finn must slash his way out of the gullet of a... something, after Marceline tells him, "Use my axe bass."
- The titular character from Duck Dodgers employs a non-lethal version of this trope, Played for Laughs naturally. Daffy, unable to beat the enemy (played by Taz), decides the best answer is cooking himself, then serving himself up to his foe explicitly saying "Eat me!" After this, he proceeds to stand up fully inside Taz's stomach. Complete with obligatory Lampshade Hanging, but not in the usual manner.
- This happens in Generator Rex. Rex is Swallowed Whole by an E.V.O. but gets out by cutting a hole in her torso with his BFS.
- Heavily implied in the Timon & Pumbaa episode "Washington Applesauce". The titular duo end up getting Swallowed Whole by a giant worm, but they prepare to dine while inside the worm's stomach. The next scene has the duo, now fat and gigantic, declaring to the townsfolk that they have gotten rid of the worm.
- Wander over Yonder: In 'The Bounty', Peepers realizes the bounty hunter that swallowed him, Wander, and Sylvia will get all the credit for capturing them and take Peepers' place among Lord Hater's army. So he uses the lightning-bolt on the top of his helmet to slice through the bounty hunter all the way around its body and throttle it, which ironically allows Wander and Sylvia to escape capture.
- A toad was once poisoned to death after swallowing a poisonous salamander, who then proceeds to climb out of its mouth.
- A poisonous cane toad was once swallowed whole by an over-eager dog who thought it was a pastry. Both survived, though.
- A centipede managed to eat its way out of a small snake, though it died in the process. The original scientific paper on the subject (titled "Two Fangs Good, One Hundred Legs Better"), can be found here (warning: potentially disturbing images).
- Some species of pufferfish are covered with spikes which bristle in all directions when the fish puffs up, making it nigh impossible to take a bite of. Larger predators, however, can swallow it whole... after which it will try to gnaw its way out with its sharp beak, usually successfully. Notably, critters who manage to digest the pufferfish before it gives them a Torso with a View don't fare well either, as pufferfish are among the most poisonous creatures in the world.