Willow Rosenberg: My egg is Jewish.
Xander: Then teach it that dreidel song.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever: Killer eggs!
- Auto Erotica: One of Cordelia's "negative consequences of sex" examples involves a Miata parked at the top of a hill.
- Badass Adorable: Tector re Buffy. "She's so cute. And little. Think we can keep her?"
- Battle Discretion Shot / Sound-Only Death: Buffy fighting the Mother Bezoar
- Beard of Evil: Lyle Gorch
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Taken Up to Eleven with Xander and Cordelia's Bizarro!World smoochies.
- Big Bad Ensemble: the Mother Bezoar and the Gorch brothers.
- Butt Monkey: Xander again.Willow: Did I really hit you?
Xander: You knocked me out.
Cordelia: Did I hit you?
Xander: Yes. Everyone hit me.
Cordelia: Good. Well, I don't mean good because I hit you, but I didn't wanna be left out.
- Calling Me a Logarithm:Giles: I suppose there is a sort of...Machiavellian ingenuity to your transgressions.Xander: I resent that. Or possibly thank you.
- Chronic Pet KillerBuffy: [about the egg experiment] I can't do this. I can't take care of things. I killed my Giga Pet. Literally. I sat on it and it broke.
- This was part of an arc that drew parallels between her and Drusilla, so probably an afterthought rather than normal characterization.
- Combat Tentacles
- Conversation Cut: Joyce finds Buffy in her bedroom fully dressed, having just got back from patrolling.Buffy: I had a bad dream?Joyce: Oh, no, you're about to have a bad dream! A dream that you are grounded for the rest of your natural life!(Cut to the next morning in their Jeep pulling to a stop in front of the school.)Joyce: Which means: no after school socializing, no Bronze, no nothing. Not until I say so. Do you understand?
- Covered in Gunge: Buffy crawls out of the crevice covered in the Mother's Bezoar's blood. Bad Ass vampire Lyle Gorch takes one look and runs.
- Creepy MonotoneWillow: Kill them.
- Dating Catwoman: The Gorches are puzzled as to why 'Angelus' is pashing the Slayer.
- Department of Redundancy Department: After Xander/Cordelia's I Need to Go Iron My Dog scene.Willow: Are they getting weirder? Have you noticed the weirdness of them?Buffy: They're weird.
- Distracted by the Sexy: What Joyce thinks Buffy's reason is for forgetting her dress. Played straight with Bangel kissage.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: After Lyle Gorch's first We Will Meet Again, Buffy mock-gripes, "Oh, sure. They say they'll call..."
- Egg Sitting
- Eldritch Abomination: the Mother Bezoar
- Enter Stage Window: Useful for Loophole Abuse.
- Failed a Spot Check: Buffy and Angel snog passionately, stop to take a quick glance around for Those Two Bad Guys they're supposed to be hunting, then return to snogging again. The camera pans to show the Gorches sitting up a tree, watching them.
- ForeshadowingAngel: You really don't care what happens a year from now? Five years from now?Buffy: Angel, when I look into the future, all I see is you! All I want is you.(camera pans to a gravestone marked IN LOVING MEMORY)
- Likewise the discussion in Teen Health on the "negative consequences" of having sex.
- Willow watches with a puzzled expression over how Xander and Cordelia are getting stuck into each other in Sex Ed class. When she finds out what's going on in "Innocence", Willow says she knew something was up because they were arguing far too much.
- Enemy Mine: Averted. It looks like Lyle Gorch is going to fight the Mother Bezoar alongside Buffy (especially after his brother gets swallowed) but he blames Buffy instead.
- Gas Leak Cover-Up: Spoofed when the Scoobies come up with this as a completely implausible explanation as to what happened.
- Generation Xerox: Buffy is dismayed to find she hasn't been partnered with someone for her Egg Sitting. "You mean I'm a single mother?"
- Giant Eye Of Doom
- Gilligan CutWillow: Maybe you could get Angel to help you find the Gorches.
Giles: Good idea. Strength in numbers.
Xander: Oh yeah. I see a lot of hunting getting done in that scenario.
Buffy: Please. Like Angel and I are just helpless slaves to passion. Grow up!
(Cut to Buffy and Angel making out in the cemetery)
Buffy: You know, this isn't hunting in the classical sense...
- Gratuitous ItalianCordelia: What is it?Xander: We don't know what it is, Cordelia, that's why we're here. Capisce?Cordelia: 'Capisce'? What are you, world traveler now?
- I Ate WHAT?: Barely averted by Xander when he nearly eats his hard-boiled demon egg.
- I Have This Friend: Cordelia has a friend, not her, who was involved in the Auto Erotica accident.
- Improvised Weapon: Lots of them, including Willow clocking Xander with a microscope, and Buffy killing the Mother Bezoar with a pickaxe.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Xander and Cordelia looking for an excuse to go make out.Cordelia: (about someone no-one else in the episode has registered as in danger) Well, his body could fall out of a closet somewhere. So we should check out some closets to see if he's in a closet?
Xander: You're right. There could be a closet. Let's go.
- It's a Long Story: Played straight for once.
- Indy Hat Roll: Lyle's hat falls off when Buffy knocks him down. He scoops it back onto his head before fleeing.
- Kill It Through Its Stomach: Though it's not clear if Buffy was actually eaten.
- The Law of Conservation of Detail: A surprising aversion is all the shots of the boiler room with its red lights and HIGH VOLTAGE signs, apparently setting up a Chekhov's Gun involving the Monster of the Week being killed by electricity. Doesn't happen.
- Make-Out Kids: Xander/Cordelia and Buffy/Angel can hardly keep their lips off each other; the latter foreshadowing Buffy's decision to sleep with Angel in the next episode.
- Mandatory MotherhoodBuffy: Oh, I told you, that faux parenting gig we're doing at school. Like I'm really planning to have kids anytime soon.Angel: I wouldn't know. I don't... Well, you know, I, I can't.Buffy: Oh. That's okay, um... I-I figured there were all sorts of things vampires couldn't do. You know, like work for the telephone company, or volunteer for The Red Cross, or... have little vampires.
- Mêlée à Trois
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: While riding an escalator, Buffy politely looks away from a couple kissing...and sees in the wall mirror that only the girl is visible.
- Mood Whiplash: Buffy and Xander hear Jonathan shrieking in terror "Get this thing off me!", but when they rush out he says in a Creepy Monotone, "I'm fine, I slipped" then walks off. Our heroes use the opportunity to follow him back to Mummy.
- Monster of the Aesop: Children take over your lives like some kind of mind-controlling Eldritch Abomination. Or was it mothers take over their children's minds?
- No, Except Yes: Joyce re children."They can be such a... oh, I don't wanna say burden, but, uh... actually, I kind of *do* wanna say burden."
"Cordelia! I don't wanna hurt you...some of the time."
- Xander fighting possessed Cordelia.
- No Ontological Inertia: Justified
- Not Cheating Unless You Get Caught: Xander avoids the problem of cracking his egg by hard-boiling it.Willow: You boiled your young?
Xander: Yeah! I know it sounds cruel, but sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind! I mean, you can bet that little Xander here is thick skinned now.
Giles: Technically that would be cheating, yes?
Xander: No! It's like a short cut. You know, when you run a race?
Buffy: That would also be cheating.
- Not Himself: Averted; everyone taken over by the eggs acts normal, until they start hitting people with blunt objects.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Cordelia and Xander using Teen Health class as a chance to snark at each other.
- Orifice Invasion: Buffy's egg sticks its tentacles in her ears and eyes. Gnyaah!
- Outlaw: The Gorches got their reputation by massacring a Mexican village. That was before they were vampires.
- Prat Fall: Xander urges Buffy to be careful when going into the dark scary cave, then promptly falls over.
- Pretend We're Dead: Xander pretending to be taken over.
- Puppeteer Parasite
- Rant Inducing Slight: Buffy encounters Cordelia wearing a teddy bear backpack.Buffy: Nice bear. Listen is your—
Cordelia: Hey, I'll have you know that my father brought this bear back from Gstaad years ago. Then all of a sudden these trendoids everywhere started sporting them. So I'm totally not wearing it. Then I thought, hey, I'm the one who started this nationwide craze! What am I ashamed of?
Buffy: Okay, Soliloquy Girl, I just wanted to ask about your egg.
- Red-Headed Stepchild:Lyle: I'm gonna beat you like a red-headed stepchild.
- Reduced to Ratburgers: The Gorches have to hide out in the sewers instead of a No Tell Motel until the Slayer is taken care of.
- Reveal Shot: Joyce grounds Buffy at the end of the episode, forbidding her even to leave her room. Cut to Buffy apparently kissing Angel outside, only it turns out Angel is leaning in her bedroom window and the trees are in the background.
- A more serious example is when Buffy rings Willow to warn her about the eggs, only to be told by Willow that she put hers in the fridge. Pan down to reveal the egg broken open in front of her.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: Mr Whitmore is lecturing his Teen Health class.The sex drive in the human animal is intense. How many of us have lost countless productive hours plagued by unwanted sexual thoughts and feelings?(Xander puts his hand up)That was a rhetorical question, Mr. Harris. Not a poll.
- Sarcastic ConfessionJoyce: Honestly, don't you ever think about anything besides boys and clothes?Buffy: Saving the world from vampires?Joyce: I swear, sometimes I don't know what goes on in your head.
- Saying Sound Effects Out LoudXander: Can I just say, 'gyegh!'.
Buffy: I see your 'gyegh!' and raise you a 'gnyaah!'.
- Saying Too Much: Possessed!Cordelia and Willow knock out Buffy and Xander and dump them in the closet, the same one Cordy and Xander were smooching in earlier.Xander: (groaning) Last time Cordy dragged me in here it was a lot nicer.Buffy: What?Xander: Uh... (fully awake now) Huh? Nothing. Uh, crazy talk. Head trauma.
- So Happy Together: Buffy and Angel. In fact, this happiness turns out to be an important plot point in the next episode.
- Schmuck Bait
Xander: Do we really wanna go in there?Buffy: We really don't. (they do)
- Tector can't resist leaning in for a close look at the Giant Eye Of Doom.
- Lampshaded when Xander and Buffy discover the dark tunnel that's been carved out of the back wall of the SHS power room.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:Joyce: (notices the books lying on the catalog) 'Bristow's Demon Index', 'Hell's Offspring'?Giles: (takes the books) A hobby of mine, uh, but, uh, having nothing to do with Buffy in any way.
- Swallowed Whole: Buffy fights her way out from inside the Mother Bezoar. Tector Gorch is not so lucky.
- Tap on the Head: Buffy and Xander, who gets annoyed when Possessed!Cordy hits him again on the same bump.
- Terse TalkerGiles: How did the, um... hunt go last night, Buffy?
Buffy: No go.
Giles: Uh, 'no', 'no' you didn't go, or you were unsuccessful?
Buffy: No Gorches.
Xander: Apparently Buffy has decided the problem with the English language is all those pesky words. (looks at her) You... Angel... big... smoochies?
Buffy: Shut... up.
- Those Two Bad Guys: The Gorch brothers.
- Verbal Backspace:
- Violence Really Is the AnswerGiles: But the good news is that [the Gorches are] not amongst the great thinkers of our time. I doubt that they're up to much, just drawn here by the Hellmouth's energy.Xander: 'Nuff said! I propose Buffy slays 'em. All in favour?Willow: [she and Xander raises their hands] Aye!
- Walk In Chime In: Lyle Gorch is about to munch on the girl he's picked up.Lyle: Well, ain't you just got the prettiest little neck I ever did see.Buffy: Boy, you guys really never come up with any new lines, do you?
- Wall of Weapons: A line of possessed students and teachers march into the groundskeeper's shed, each taking an axe, hoe or shovel off a rack.
- We Will Meet Again: Lyle Gorch keeps saying "This ain't over!" regarding his fight with the Slayer. After seeing Buffy take down the Mother Bezoar he says, "Alright, it's over!" and does a Villain Exit Stage Left.
- You Are Grounded: Joyce has finally had enough.
- You Got Spunk: Lyle Gorch fighting Buffy.Well, you're a rough one, ain't cha! I like that!