Web Video / Young Justice Abridged
An ambitious project from leik777 which seeks to incorporate Young Justice
into the DC Universe Animated Original Movies
. So far, 9 episodes separated into 23 videos are out. The first 20 of these videos make up Season 1.http://www.thefedoraplayers.com/dc-abridged-universe/
Tropes used in this abridged series include:
- Accent Relapse: Artemis breaks out a version of her father's coarse hooligan vocabulary and inflection when Wally nearly gets them all killed in Fate's tower. Becomes a hilarious version of Ship Tease thanks to Anger Born of Worry.
- Adaptation Name Change: Bane is now "El Bane".
- The Alcoholic: Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
- All Animals Are Dogs: The bioship.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Green Arrow is an alcoholic, Batman is batshit insane, The Flash is "special", Martian Manhunter is having a bitch of a time getting a green card, Red Tornado is a janitor, etc...
- Alternate Universe: Robin is Tim Drake. Not that the viewers ever seem to remember this...
- Axe Crazy: Batman
- Bad Ass
- Black Comedy Rape: Klarion's description of what he was going to do to Kid Flash in the Call Forward. Red Hood threatens Ra's Al Ghul with this as well.
- Also, whatever M'Gann did to Superboy in episode 5, leaving him covered in what clearly is not cake ingredients. Red Arrow comments that he could still smell her on him.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:
- Brick Joke: The promise to show Superboy the classic Star Wars movies is fulfilled in episode 5.
- Butt Monkey: Flaming C. Black Mask makes fun at him because of this in a parody interview.
- Call Forward
- Camp Gay: Professor Ivo.
- Canon Welding: Somewhat. The show integrates themes and scenes from the DC Animated movies into Young Justice. Impressively, this is the first animated show to actually depict the first three Robins active at the same time, and even after having Jason die (possibly permanently, since the Red Hood has no other animated movies), there's still three Robins because they brought in Damian!
- Couch Gag: Whoever says "Young Justice, bitches!" in the opening.
- Depraved Bisexual / Depraved Homosexual: Klarion, if the call forward is any indication.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: Inverted. Everyone accidentally lets their dirty thoughts slip out over the psychic links. But it still happens a lot.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Let's just say Wally isn't as good at hiding his attraction to Artemis here as he is in the show and just leave it at that.
- Apparently, it's a trait shared by the other red-head; Roy gets played hard by Cheshire when she turns on the smoulder, and even funnier, he seems aware fo the trope and tries to warn himself about it, but still falls for her distraction.
- Eagleland: Superman's a mix of 1 and 2.
- Flanderization has slowly transformed him into an over-the-top parody of Type 2.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Aqualad calls Dubbilex as the "Demonic Fu Man Chu."
- Aqualad and Superboy call Chesire "Cat Lady".
- Superboy does this to everyone. M'Gann is "green girl", Robin is "small boy", etc.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Black Mask after hearing Flaming C's crush towards Artemis. It sickens him that he wants to punch him real good. He also doesn't want to get the Joker involved, but only because the Team is wrecking his operation.
- The rest of the Light is disgusted with Darkseid's adoration of Justin Beiber.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Explicitly averted in this show's version of Artemis and Sportsmaster. He actually supports her desire to become a super-hero, feeling she knows what's best for herself.
- For Science!: Dr. Desmond's catch phrase to what he does while rocking out and looking through a telescope.
- Gender-Blender Name: Superboy defends the use of the "civilian name" Sasha when he attends Happy Harbor High with Megan. Well, since he believes that he has Russian heritage...
- Gender Flip: The bioship is apparently male in this version.
- Godwin's Law: When Superboy mentioned that the only movie he had seen was Star Wars Episode I Robin said that it was "a regular Auschwitz in here."
- Gone Horribly Right: Here, Ra's Al Ghul resurrects Jason Todd as part of a strategy by the Light to kill Batman. Jason being Jason, it's clear he's targeting Ra's as well.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: M'gann
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Kid Flash
(Aqualad, Robin, and Kid Flash are currently strapped down to vertical tables in pods)
This is just like the last wet dream I had! Only you guys would be naked. (Beat
) And chicks.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: The Catwoman abridged short mentions something involving a chocolate fountain and a whip. Of course, since Batman apparently has the Question's knowledge of phone sex, Catwoman punishes him by making him do it alone. Alfred says "Whatever you say, sir. It's your coccyx."
- Hypocrite: In the first episode, Speedy criticizes the League for offering him drugs, but in episode 4 we find out he's a heroin addict.
- Hypocritical Humor
- If Its You Its Ok: Robin doesn't usually go for 3D girls, but he'll make an exception for M'gann.
- In Soviet Russia, Trope Mocks You: "In Soviet Russia, we have saying: capes are for pussies. Also, spandex wears you."
- Irony: The Alternate Character Interpretation that some of the cast suffer from has heavy shades of this. Characters such as Superman, Batman and the like have become much less kind while other characters with less favourable portrayals such as Sportsmaster and Red Hood are shown to have kinder attitudes and better relations with their enemies than they do in the source materiel.
- I Take Offense to That Last One: Kid Flash really likes Dr. Pepper...
Kid Flash (To Artemis): "How DARE you! I LOVE DR. PEPPER!"
- It Amused Me: The reason why Green Arrow wanted Red Arrow in his younger days to jump into a river full of crocodiles. He is still upset at his mentor.
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: Red Arrow hiding Dr. Roquette at the local high school. Because "who looks for a smart person at a high school?"
- Knight of Cerebus: The Joker. His scene in episode 6 showed that not only is he totally in-character from the comics, but he's not being Played for Laughs.
- Last Words: Jason's were Goodbye Dad
- Leave No Witnesses: Sportmaster claims this is why he isn't well known as the most dangerous psychopath.
- Literal-Minded: When Aqualad mentions that the gloves have to come off after nearly being beaten by Chesire.
Superboy: What gloves? You don't even wear shoes.
Aqualad: Robin, help me out here. I can't talk to him.
- Lzherusskie: Superboy
- May-December Romance: a running gag is everyone being squicked at M'Gann lusting after the technically 4-month-old Conner. Er, we mean Sasha.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Alfred sounds a LOT like Sean Connery.
- Only Sane Man: Roy. Usually.
- THE ENITRE LIGHT is this to Ra's on his really stupid plan regarding Red Hood.
- Overprotective Dad: How Sportsmaster treats Cheshire: she successfully distracts Roy so she can escape with his help, and the entire time, he's spouting off phrases you'd expect to hear from a paranoid father when his daughter returns past her curfew. Of course, given Cheshire's behaviour towards Roy...
- Papa Wolf: Batman may be crazy and show his approval by making someone's job harder than it has to be, but he also seems to care the most about the kids, even punching Superman in the Face for ignoring Superboy.
- His behavior towards Jason... isn't as warm though.
- Punctuated Pounding: "Now come and get me you DAMN! DIRTY! APES!"
- Robosexual: Robin. For added weirdness, all the computers in this universe are sentient making all instances of "hacking" synonymous with "having a quickie."
Kid Flash: Okay, I've heard of technophobe, but techno-PHILE? This is news to me.
- Shout-Out: Superboy singing "Daddy Wasn;t There"
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Black Mask.
- Something Else Also Rises
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Apparently, Batman, Red Arrow, and Red Hood both think Ra's looks like Jafar.
- Superdickery: As Robin puts it, "Superman is always being a dick-kovitch."
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
- Take That: See Godwin's Law
- Too Kinky to Torture: Joker. Jason took the crowbar to him and he was giving him advice on how to do it harder.
- Squick: Dr. Fate's reaction to what Klarion wanted to do to Kid Flash.
- Kid Flash's reaction to Robin's Robo Sexual tendencies.
- That Came Out Wrong: Artemis mentioning how she and Roy both "do arrows" let to her accidentally telling a story of one time when she masturbated with an arrow.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Batman and Superman seem to have a Type I relationship.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Jason boiled down to this, asking why Bruce didn't love him.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Roy points out that killing Icicle Jr. right then and there would save them some trouble later on. Ollie is too drunk/hungover to care about that.
- Your Mom: Inverted. Ra's accuses Batman of having a bad bed side manner. Batman's reply? "Your daughter didn't seem to mind."