The One Thing I Don't Hate About You
"Now, you fellows have said some pretty mean things, some of which
were true...under that fiend, Boss Grissom. He
was a thief
and a terrorist. On the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice."
Alice has nothing but disdain for Bob and all that he stands for. Well, almost
everything. In spite of herself, Alice can't help but admire one attribute of Bob's. Not an important
attribute, mind, but something completely irrelevant: Bob is morally bankrupt and a complete ignoramus, but he has great taste in shoes. And he cooks the best chili you've ever tasted.
Compare with Worthy Opponent
, Actually Pretty Funny
, and Bad News, Irrelevant News
. Compare and
contrast with Sympathy for the Devil
and Sympathy for the Hero
- In ElfQuest, the Wolfriders and the trolls who live nearby get along fairly well as elf and troll tribes go - which is to say that they aren't trying to genocide each other and even engage in some trade. As it stands, they still have total contempt for each other's way of life, and no small amount of personal enmity. However, when one elf and his wolf-friend contract "the foaming sickness" (rabies), the elves (lacking a magical healer)take him to the trolls' tribal elder/herbalist to be treated. The treatment is arduous and likely to fail, and the troll herbalist believes that the elves' efforts "make no sense". When told it's not about sense, she responds: "Anything for family, eh? I can fault you elves in all ways but that."
- From The Spy Who Loved Me:
Bond: Mmm, maybe I misjudged Stromberg. Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
- Zoolander: Every time Mugatu mentions Hansel in a conversation, he immediately adds "He's so hot right now," to the extent that it borders on a Verbal Tic. This continues even after Hansel has joined the protagonists in exposing the Ancient Conspiracy that Mugatu works for.
Mugatu: It's that damned Hansel! He's so hot right now!
- Batman (1989). The Joker makes a TV broadcast to Gotham City.
Joker: Now you fellows have said some pretty mean things, some of which were true under that fiend, Boss Grissom. He was a thief and a terrorist. On the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice.
- In Out Cold the characters comment that the new company that's taking over the ski resort is "ruining our town" but their coffee shop sells delicious beverages.
- In Doctor Strangelove Mandrake laments his mistreatment by the Japanese as a POW, but admits they make bloody good cameras.
- From Top Secret!:
Deja Vu: You've got to hand it to the Germans, they make great cars.
- In Vertical Limit, the Pakistani military officer admits that despite the Indians being their mortal enemies, they make really good tea.
- In UHF, the Engineered Public Confession of the Affiliate Owner ends with "But, there is one good thing about broadcasting to a town full of mindless sheep: I always know I have them exactly where I want them!"
- Angel: Angel and Spike are bickering like five-year-olds as usual, but then...
Angel: There was one thing about you...
Angel: Yeah, I never told anybody this, but...I liked your poems.
- The Office
Jim: Say what you will about Michael Scott, but he would never do that.
- The West Wing has a memorable scene of President Bartlett and a prominent Republican opponent having a sitdown. While it's obvious there's a certain amount of respect between the two, it opens with each (in surprisingly good humour) going through a lengthy list of their disagreements with the other, before getting down to the one thing they see eye to eye on - campaign finance reform.
- City Face: Every time Magpie55 posts beneath the comic, he does nothing but insult City Face and pigeons in general. Then City Face starts doing the human businessman dance, and Magpie55 can only write "whoa he's actually pretty good at that..."
- Bobwhite: Marlene and Ivy frequently make fun of Cleo for her awkwardness and her CloudCuckoolanderishness. Then they visit Cleo in her metal shop class and are briefly impressed.
Marlene: Wow. I will never make fun of her again.
Ivy: Yes you will.
Marlene: Yes I will.
- Homestuck. Terezi confronts Vriska, who used to be a friend but has now gone too far and must be brought to justice (i.e. stabbity death).
Terezi: MUCH 4S 1T P41NS M3 TO 4DM1T 1T, YOUR FRUITY OR4NG3 F41RY SU1T SM3LLS... D3L1C1OUS.
- In The Last Days Of Fox Hound, Revolver Ocelot has one nice thing to say about The Patriots:
Ocelot:(After having Liquid's arm grafted onto him) Say what you like about The Patriots, but their health plan rocks.
- In The Simpsons episode "Colonel Homer", where Homer's new job as Lurleen Lumpkin's manager is driving him away from his family:
Marge: You've got a wonderful family, Homer. Please don't forget it when you walk out that door tonight.
Bart: Much as I hate that man right now, you gotta love that suit.
- In "Brush with Greatness", the teacher of Marge's art class blasts her high school art teacher for criticizing her work:
Teacher: The man was a fool! But one must admire the strength of his conviction.
- From South Park:
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), the one thing that the Turtles admire about the Foot is the Nice Hats worn by the Shredder's Elite Guard:
Raphael: Nice hats!
Michaelangelo: Yeah, we thought so, too.
Donatello: Say what you will about the Foot, but they do not skimp on the headgear.
- The finale of Cyber Six has Von Richter say one good thing about the titular character:
Von Richter: ...Cyber Six is my greatest failure, but she has courage and I admire that.