Jane Kazmereck (Lois from Malcolm in the Middle
) guest stars as the voice of a new, harsher judge who punishes Bart (for joyriding in a police car) and Homer (for letting it happen) by tethering them together.
- Bait and Switch: Homer and Marge tried to nail a sign at Judge Harm's house, we see it starts with the letters "BI". Then we get to see it actually reads "Big Meanie"
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Bart and Homer are tethered to each other, then Homer and Marge are pilloried. And then, they are forced to stand by the curb so people driving by can spank them (as long as they don't use extension cords)
- Disproportionate Retribution: Okay, so you want to get even with the judge that sentenced you to the pillory. Sinking her houseboat is a bit much. And if it wasn't intentional, what did Homer intend with that cinder block?
- The implication is that he panicked and tried to hit the judge with the cinderblock when she was about to catch them, yes.
- Idiot Ball: Shouldn't Lisa have invoked the eighth amendment while in the courtroom during either sentence?
- Jerk Ass: Judge Harm. Up to Eleven, and then some.
- Hanging Judge: Although for personal gains since she does obey the law, Constance Harm is quick to let people know how she got that name.
- Punished for Sympathy: Bart would've gotten this for standing up for his parents had Judge Roy Snyder not arrived just in time. He even agrees with Lisa considering Bart, Homer, and Marge have been through enough.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: When it comes to Harm's punishment, this tropes makes sense even if she obeys the law.