We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Someone just said or did something stupid, kinky or childish, and someone else feels they have to correct them and punish them. However, instead of doing it with words or with a Dope Slap
, they decide to administer a good, old-fashioned spanking, a comedy goldmine. Hilarity Ensues
. May be accompanied by Punctuated Pounding
The comedy may lie in the situation of who is spanking whom (for instance, a child may spank a parent or another authority figure) or a person may be spanked with a rather humorous implement such as a rolled-up newspaper. Or the spanker may take off his belt
— and his pants fall down.
It may cause some serious Values Dissonance
in modern audiences as Corporal Punishment
is becoming more and more frowned upon and spanking women or children can come off as Dude, Not Funny!
It's a subtrope of Corporal Punishment and Slapstick
, and sister trope to other spanking tropes Kinky Spanking
and Don't Make Me Take My Belt Off
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ranma ½:
- In the manga, when Female!Ranma disguises as Ryōga's (non-existent) little sister Yoiko, she once falls out of character and makes a rude comment to her "brother" before Akane. Ryōga doesn't approve of such language for a young lady, and thus give his "sister" a spanking. Note that Ryōga is super-strong, and as tough Ranma is, the ass-warming clearly hurts.
- In another chapter, Ranma and Ryōga are age-regressed due to magical mushrooms. Ranma, the older at the moment, pushes Ryōga, and gets a spanking from Akane.
- Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu: Hare and the island doctor switch bodies thanks to Guu. When they return to normal, after Hare finds out the Doctor actually is very hard-working, he finds the nasty surprise that he has abused being a kid with some of the island woman, who promptly take Hare away. We hear some smacking sounds and then we see Hare lying on the ground, with his pants pulled down to reveal his red butt.
- When Punie's sisters attempt to kill her with a pair of giant scissors in Dai Mahou Touge, they get a spanking for running in the street with sharp objects. Happens again a few episodes later when they double cross her during a school sports competition-turned-battlefield re-enactment.
- In the first Sailor Moon anime, Chibi-Usa spikes the Inner Senshi's drinks to make them fall asleep and look for the Silver Crystal. Usagi, however, had been Genre Savvy enough to not take her drink, so she pretends to be drugged; when Chibi-Usa gets close she suddenly gets up, tucks Chibi under her arm and begins spanking her as punishment. It's a plot point: Chibi-Usa starts crying and releases an odd Pillar of Light, which tips off the Black Moon Clan...
- Don Rosa has let Donald Duck be the receiver of spanking at least twice. Once in the story A Letter From Home, wherein he gets spanked by his aunt Matilda. Donald is already an adult in this story. The other occasion is in the story Escape from Forbidden Valley wherein he gets spanked by a dinosaur.
- Archie Comics has a particularly bizarre example. Veronica wants to take her father to a father-daughter dance, but he's unavailable. Hilarity Ensues when she gets Archie to fill in for him (in a surprisingly good disguise), and he overacts the part, annoying Veronica all evening. Towards the end Mr. Lodge shows up at the dance, replacing Archie without Veronica's knowledge. She acts disrespectful towards him, thinking he's still Archie. So he spanks her. She thinks it's her peer Archie spanking her, but it's actually her father. In reprint, this was changed to putting her in a corner for time out.
Films — Live-Action
- In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Zoot (also known as Dingo) and all the other maidens of Castle Anthrax beg Galahad to spank them as punishment for being naughty, trying to invoke Kinky Spanking trope, but nope, it's too perilous. He's Galahad the Chaste, after all.
- Kill Bill: "This — is — what — you — get — for — fucking — around — with — yakuzas! GO HOME TO YOUR MOTHER!" The Bride spanks a teenage guy with her sword.
- In the Soviet comedy gold Operation "Y", one segment deals with Fedya, a huge 40-something bully sentenced to community service at the same construction site where the hero, Shurik, works part-time. After a slapstick-filled wild goose chase around the site, Shurik finally traps Fedya in a wallpaper roll. He then sets the roll with Fedya inside upright, soaks the birch, makes an appropriately shaped cutout, while increasingly distressed Fedya asks whether that's really necessary. Shurik's answer "Really, Fedya, really", as he swings the rod and Fedya mutters "Mama!" into the fadeout, has since became a go-to answer for justifying something unpleasant, but really necessary.
- Elvis Presley's character spanks to a girl who tries to commit suicide in the movie Blue Hawaii. The next morning she was at the table... sitting on a pillow.
- In Carry On at Your Convenience, the strike is ultimately resolved by the union leader's mother.
- Scrubs has a whole lot of spanking going on. J.D. spanking Turk. Turk spanking J.D. Turk spanking Elliot. Elliot spanking J.D. Various characters spanking themselves. You name it. In fact, the only main character who hasn't been a spanker or a spankee is The Janitor.
Elliot: Harder, dammit! I've been bad.
- In one episode of The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon spanks Amy for Playing Sick for longer than she actually was just so he'd take care of her. Sheldon, being Sheldon, is completely oblivious to the sexual undertones of it, while Amy is completely enjoying it.
- The pilot of How I Met Your Mother reveals that Marshall and Lily engage in spank play, though he's reluctant while she eagerly eggs him on.
) Hit me? Please! This guy can barely spank me in bed for fun. He's all like "Oh honey did that hurt?" and I'm all like "C'mon let me have it ya pansy!" (beat
) Wow, complete stranger.
- On The Kids in the Hall, when Buddy Cole gets a male slave, he acts like a not-yet-housebroken puppy and this is how he is "disciplined".
- In The Two Ronnies serial "Stop! You're Killing Me", Piggy thinks he sees an intruder lurking under the hay, and hits them over the head with a piece of wood — only to find it's Lucy Lee, and it was her bottom he hit. Annoyed, she hypnotises him, makes him get onto all fours, and takes her revenge.
Lucy: When you awake, you will remember nothing... except this. [Whack!]
- An episode of Community has Britta inadvertently offend Troy's grandmother and be ordered to go get a switch. Britta complies but was apparently expecting a little rap on the knuckles and is surprised to be ordered to lower her pants and lie over Grandma's lap. Troy tells her she doesn't have to, but she defies him to prove her point— and is quickly dismayed to realize that Granny packs quite a wallop.
- Ménage à 3: During a disagreement about access to passive male lust-object Gary, the somewhat deranged Yuki hogties DiDi with NES controller cords and tells her she'll only be released when she admits that Gary is Yuki's boyfriend; DiDi doesn't, so Yuki spanks her. When DiDi seems to be getting into this, it perhaps becomes more Kinky Spanking. (See strip #612, June 12, 2012, onwards — NSFW).
- The Simpsons has been known to mine humor out of Bart being spanked by Homer — or, rather, being threatened with a spanking by Homer. He has been spanked by other people.
- One scene had Homer gleefully telling his son: "It's spanking season — and I've got a hankerin' for some spankerin'!"
- Bart was spanked by Otto after he steals the School Bus while he was trying to give Metallica a ride. This forces Principal Skinner to temporarily suspend him... with pay!
- Especially funny in an early episode when Homer called Bart over for a father-son talk: Bart, assuming he was in trouble, immediately pulled down his shorts and underpants and threw himself across Homer's knees! Subverted.
- Bart was spanked by ex-president Bush sr. for destroying his memoirs. He made a talk about how somebody should have spanked him before, took him over his lap... and gave him just one or two light smack.
- Meanwhile Grandpa claims to have been spanked by many presidents—"Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non-consecutive occasions."
- There sure seemed to be a lot of spanking in Tom and Jerry:
- Usually as a result of the cat getting his head or torso caught in something and waiting oh so helplessly for the mouse to swaggeringly walk behind him, pick up a conveniently placed piece of wood, take a few practice swings...
- At the end of the short "Touche Pussy Cat", Nibbles accidentally pokes Jerry in the rear end with his sword. Nibbles shrugs nonchalently to the audience as Jerry spanks him stupid.
- Popeye the Sailor:
- Classic Disney Shorts:
- In Bellboy Donald, the temperamental duck is forced to tend to a sadistic little brat staying at the hotel, with threats of unemployment if he lashes out so much as once. Eventually after being put through hell, he drags the child kicking and screaming to reception, enquiring whether he's fired yet, which is immediately confirmed. Content, he takes the child offscreen and spanks him merciless, complete with an Evil Laugh.
- At the end of Practical Pig (the fourth Disney "Three Little Pigs" cartoon), the two younger pigs tell a lie. Practical Pig's lie-detecting and punishing invention begins spanking them for the lie. Practical Pig tells the others, "This hurts me more than it does you." The machine reaches out, grabs him by his throat, spanks him and washes his mouth out with soap.
- In the end of the Beany And Cecil episode: Beany and Cecil meets the Invisible Man, After the Invisible Man was attacking Cecil and being mean to Cecil, They escaped from Edgar Allen Po Shadow's Hunted House. Edgar Allen Po Shadow says to The Invisible Man that he was being so naughty and spanked his butt.
- In an episode of South Park, spanking of a child is played both for humour but it's sexualized as well, true to the show's Refuge in Audacity trademark. Cartman suffers from amnesia and thinks he's a Vietnamese prostitute. At the end of the episode, he's back to normal and tells his friends he had a dream where he was a Vietnamese prostitute, was forced to ride a rodeo bull and then Leonardo DiCaprio spanked him for a few hours. Then Leonardo passes in his limousine to thank "her" for the wonderful time..
- Tex Avery MGM Cartoons:
- Family Guy:
- In one episode, Tom Tucker is dating Peter's mom and acts like a father figure towards him. He even spanks Peter for eating ice cream at dinner. (It's never explicitly stated, but this scene is, line for line, a retread of a similar scene in Kramer Vs Kramer featuring Dustin Hoffman and Justin Henry.)
- Lois spanks Stewie once for misbehaving. He gets upset about it at first, then misbehaves even more so she will spank him again, only for Lois to be remorseful and vow to be more patient with him.
- Peter and Lois go out of town while Stewie and Brain act as the parents. Stewie has Chris over his knee and spanks him for being found with vodka by the principal.
- Count Spankulot in Codename: Kids Next Door is built around this trope, as should be apparent from his name. He's pretty much a vampire, except that his powers are based on spanking naughty children rather than sucking blood. (Note that Spankulot is the only villain in the series to get in actual legal trouble for what he does, as he has taken this too far more than once.)