"That guy got hit in the head with a coconut!"
BONK!!! Ouch. A character who is stranded on a Deserted Island
will often fall victim to getting hit on the head with a coconut, if the island has one or two coconut trees. This can take place in any location you're likely to find coconut trees in, such as the jungle.
In Hawaii and other tropical areas there are 'Do not stand under the coconuts!' signs for this very reason. In real life, having a 10-pound nut fall 20 feet onto your head is quite likely to kill you.
Of course, coconuts are not the only fruits that can hit you on the head, apples are also most likely to bean you on the head in an homage to Sir Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity.
Bowling balls can also have a tendency to hit people on the head, even if they are not actually fruit.
Should be a note that this supposes a Hard Head
Subtrope of Amusing Injuries
. Compare Piano Drop
, Anvil on Head
, Drop the Washtub
, Flower Pot Drop
, and Tap on the Head
Not to be confused with The Coconut Effect
. See also Put Their Heads Together
, which often has a similar sound effect.
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- In The Incredibles, Mr. Incredible takes out a guard with a perfect head shot from over a hundred yards away.
- In the 1966 Disney film Lt Robin Crusoe USN, the title character (played by Dick Van Dyke) gets hit by a bunch of coconuts during a rainstorm.
- In the Abbott and Costello film, "Pardon My Sarong" Lou Costello gets hit repeatedly by cocoanuts while sitting under the "Tree of Truth" (a cocoanut tree lie detector)
- Jack Sparrow throws a coconut at the head of one of Davy Jones' crew in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
- Help! - in the Bahamas, one of Clang's mooks waits up in a tree and hurls a coconut at Ringo (actually Paul in a Ringo mask), knocking him out.
- One hilarious example of the Bowling Ball variety happens in The Adventures of Milo and Otis when a Bear is trying to catch and eat Milo in an abandoned shack by the beach.
- Happened a bunch of times on Gilligan's Island.
- Lee Mack on Would I Lie to You? claims that he was nearly killed when a coconut fell on his shoulder. It's a lie.
- In The Mighty Boosh, Howard and Vince are trapped on a desert island and have no food. As Howard chases Vince in an attempt to eat him, Vince backs into a coconut tree, knocking a coconut down onto Howard's head. He knocks several more down in his delight, all of which hit Howard.
- Bloom County. Opus is watching an episode of Gilligan's Island. The Skipper says "Gilligan! Drop those coconuts!" Gilligan does so and they bonk the Skipper on the head.
- Referenced by the page quote in the Spongebob Squarepants episode "Rock-A-Bye Bivalve", on a TV show that Patrick was watching. In the end, Patrick himself falls victim to this.
- This gag also shows up in the Mr. Bogus episode "Totally Bogus Video", during a sequence that parodied Casablanca. Ratty is the poor victim of this trope.
- Mouser got hit with a coconut in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode "The Ten Koopmandments".
- Happened to Yoshi in the Super Mario World cartoon.
- This was Sappy Stanley's schtick in his Show Within a Show cartoons from Tiny Toon Adventures.
- Both Tom and Jerry got hit by coconuts in the short "Surf-Bored Cat".
- Happened to Debbie in an episode of The Wild Thornberrys.
- In the Looney Tunes short "Gorilla My Dreams", a gorilla gets hit by a coconut after Bugs Bunny shakes it loose, the shell forming a football helmet on his head.
- In the Pac-Man short "The Abominable Pac-Man", this happens to Inky, but with a bowling ball: "I didn't think they bloomed in winter."
- Happens occasionally to Zig.
- Darkwing Duck gets hit with five in a row. And a sixth for good measure. Diplomacy is definitely not Gosalyn's string suit.
- In the Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers episode "Chipwrecked Shipmunks", Chip gets coconuts to the head. Now add to this the fact that one coconut is both bigger and heavier than a chipmunk, and that Chip is standing on sand.
- In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode, "Big Daddy", when Coconuts first meets Boom-Boom, the son of the titular ape, he tosses a coconut at his head, much like his video game counterpart does to Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Examples of the apple variant
- In Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, if Buster isn't careful, a raven enemy can drop an apple on his head. This is also played straight in the Game Over screen, where Montana Max throws an apple at Buster, hitting him in the back of the head.
- In the Arthur episode "Francine Frensky, Superstar", when Arthur is recounting all of the difficult roles that Francine had when in a play, one of the roles mentioned was when she played Sir Isaac Newton. The results were predictable.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Fall-Weather Friends", after Applejack shows up Rainbow Dash in a test of strength, AJ kicks the tree Dash is standing under, causing some apples to fall out of the tree and land on Dash's head (to the tune of Shave and a Haircut, no less).