BONK!!! Ouch. A character who is stranded on a Deserted Island
will often fall victim to getting hit on the head with a coconut, if the island has one or two coconut trees. This can take place in any location you're likely to find coconut trees in, such as the jungle.
In Hawaii and other tropical areas there are 'Do not stand under the coconuts!' signs for this very reason. In real life, having a 10-pound nut fall 20 feet onto your head is quite likely to kill you.
Of course, coconuts are not the only fruits that can hit you on the head, apples are also most likely to bean you on the head in an homage to Sir Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity.
Bowling balls can also have a tendency to hit people on the head, even if they are not actually fruit.
Should be a note that this supposes a Hard Head
Subtrope of Amusing Injuries
. Compare Piano Drop
, Anvil On Head
, Drop the Washtub
, Flower Pot Drop
, and Tap on the Head
Not to be confused with The Coconut Effect
- In the 1966 Disney film Lt Robin Crusoe USN, the title character (played by Dick Van Dyke) gets hit by a bunch of coconuts during a rainstorm.
- In the Abbott and Costello film, "Pardon My Sarong" Lou Costello gets hit repeatedly by cocoanuts while sitting under the "Tree of Truth" (a cocoanut tree lie detector)
- Jack Sparrow throws a coconut at the head of one of Davy Jones' crew in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
- In The Incredibles, Mr. Incredible takes out a guard with a perfect head shot from over a hundred yards away.
- Help! - in the Bahamas, one of Clang's mooks waits up in a tree and hurls a coconut at Ringo (actually Paul in a Ringo mask), knocking him out.
- One hilarious example of the Bowling Ball variety happens in The Adventures of Milo and Otis when a Bear is trying to catch and eat Milo in an abandoned shack by the beach.
- Happened a bunch of times on Gilligan's Island.
- Lee Mack on Would I Lie to You? claims that he was nearly killed when a coconut fell on his shoulder. It's a lie.
- In The Mighty Boosh, Howard and Vince are trapped on a desert island and have no food. As Howard chases Vince in an attempt to eat him, Vince backs into a coconut tree, knocking a coconut down onto Howard's head. He knocks several more down in his delight, all of which hit Howard.
- Bloom County. Opus is watching an episode of Gilligan's Island. The Skipper says "Gilligan! Drop those coconuts!" Gilligan does so and they bonk the Skipper on the head.
- Jolly Rover even has an achievement for dispatching the guard with a coconut three times.
- Papa Doc in Ghost Pirates Of Vooju Island throws coconuts at two zombie workers to manipulate them into fighting each other.
- In Escape from Monkey Island, Herman Toothrot suffers this and loses his memory for a while. You have to hit him with another coconut (along with other items he mentions) in order to get him to recover his memory.
- In Sonic Unleashed, in an exclusive cutscene of Sonic and Chip at Adabat, Sonic gets clocked in the head by a bunch of Coconuts due a mishaps by Chip's appetite.
Examples of the apple variant
- In the Arthur episode "Francine Frensky, Superstar", when Arthur is recounting all of the difficult roles that Francine had when in a play, one of the roles mentioned was when she played Sir Isaac Newton. The results were predictable.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Fall-Weather Friends", after Applejack shows up Rainbow Dash in a test of strength, AJ kicks the tree Dash is standing under, causing some apples to fall out of the tree and land on Dash's head (to the tune of Shave And A Hair Cut, no less).