Something waiting there, beneath the sand
My metal detector is with me all of the time
I'm the inspector over the mine
Examples:Comic Books Fan Fic
- Calvin does this in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series in order to find an easter egg hidden within a treasure chest.
- Parodied in Spaceballs, where Dark Helmet has his men literally comb a desert planet with giant combs.
Col. Sandurz: Are we being too literal?Dark Helmet: No you fool, we're following orders — we were told to comb the desert, so we're combing it!
- "We ain't found shit!"
- In Revenge of the Nerds Part II: Nerds in Paradise Poindexter spent his time on the beach using one of these. I think he even found something that turned out to be plot-relevant.
- He found a buried metal detector at one point.
- Local Hero: Ben, the local beach comber, becomes a huge plot point.
- Pacific Rim had an old man and his grandson looking for treasure on a snowy beach. All they find is a toy robot, and a real robot: Gipsy Danger.
- How a young Louis is introduced in Kangaroo Jack.
- In one episode of The Adventures of Pete & Pete, Dad explains that he met Mom when he was beach-combing and his detector went off at the metal plate in her head. In the same episode he tells this story, he's still combing the beach looking for something else really good..... and finds an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme! He and his family dig it out of the sand and drive home in it.
- Heartbeat: Claude Greengrass finds some Roman coins in a garden of a Big Fancy House he'd been hired to look after. He spends a fortune on a dredger in an effort to find the rest of them, only to discover them just as the owner arrive home to claim the lot.
- The fourth case of the first Ace Attorney game has Phoenix use (and carry around) a metal detector lent to him by Detective Gumshoe. First he uses it to find a clue, at the end of the trial he uses it to prove that Von Karma has a bullet in his shoulder from when he murdered Edgeworth's father.
- In the Australia stage of Tony Hawk's Underground 2, there is a guy at the beach with a metal detector. From what he tells you when you talk to him, he's having no luck with his beachcombing. So, it's up to you to help him, by picking up cans from trashcans and giving them to him.
- Grim Fandango's protagonist Manny Calavera references this trope if you examine a handheld metal detector:
Manny: Next beach I see, I'm finding me a watch.
- Saints Row 2 has a few beachcombers. Because of the random generation of civilians, they attempt to beachcomb on the wooden pier containing a few stores.
- Jazz Punk has its own Metal Detector Puzzle which doesn't really motivate the plot in any way. But then again, neither does anything else in that game...
- In the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack", Hermes is seen combing the beach with a metal detector◊. It turns out that he was using it to play hide and seek with Bender though.
- On King of the Hill, Peggy and Bobby engage in some beachcombing when vacationing on the shore, and coming in conflict with local beachcombers who don't appreciate tourists horning in on their turf.
- A recent example is this guy. Who found the single largest stash of Roman coins in Britain.
- Similarly, a woman was prosecuted under the Treasure Act (which deals with finding and compensating artifacts with historical value) after failing to turn in a rare coin (1 of only 4 discovered to date). She was let off after it was revealed she had received it before the act came into law.