When a man loves a woman, one way they'll show their love is an intimate, passionate kiss on a beach, often with ocean waves splashing over them. Often done in homage or parody of From Here To Eternity
's Signature Scene
, which is the Trope Codifier
Usually a subtrope of The Big Damn Kiss
. Not to be confused with kissing the beach, that'd be Kissing The Ground
- From Here To Eternity, as stated above. When watching it, you may be surprised to see that it's only three seconds long.
- Appears in an Imagine Spot in The Seven Year Itch, spoofing From Here to Eternity (probably the earliest example of that, only two years later).
- The scene is so famous that when it was spoofed in Airplane!, the filmmakers didn't know what exactly they were spoofing.
- In Shrek 2, Shrek and Fiona do this on their honeymoon, and are interrupted by a mermaid.
- In the Eddie Murphy remake of The Nutty Professor, Sherman is watching From Here To Eternity as he dozes off and has a nightmare where, while doing the scene with Carla Purdy, he unwittingly buries her into the sand because of his enormous weight.
- Homage in the beginning of the film of Grease.
- Mamma Mia! has Sophie and Sky do this during "Lay All Your Love on Me"... not too long before Sky's groomsmen come out of the water and pull him away for his bachelor party.
- Katiss and Peeta share one in Catching Fire. Actually they're at it for quite a while before they are interrupted.
- Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca did a rather lengthy one on Your Show of Shows. (The beach scene itself starts 5 minutes into the 2nd link. Too bad the audio doesn't sync up with the video.)
- Sonny and Brenda from General Hospital had a completely unironic one of these. It's probably one of the most famous moments in the show's 40+ year history.
- Carol Burnett and Steve Lawrence did it on The Carol Burnett Show in a film parody called "From Here to Maternity," featuring one huge wave.
- Not on the beach but Angel kisses Buffy by the seaside after becoming human again in "I Will Remember You".
- Chuck has it's final shot with Sarah and Chuck kissing on a beach, and fading out to the title.
- Homer and Marge parody the famous "From Here To Eternity"-kiss in The Simpsons episode "And Maggie Makes Three", with Homer adding a little more sand in his swim short afterwards.
- Also done by Itchy and Scratchy in the episode "HOMR", after which Itchy puts a shark in his place while Scratchy closed his eyes.