Film: Summer School
Summer School is a 1987 comedy film about, well, summer school. The film stars Mark Harmon as a slacker teacher prepared for a summer in Hawaii...Until the school administration forces him to teach a class in remedial English or lose his tenure. When he discovers the students have no more interest in the class than he does, he strikes a bargain with them. Hilarity Ensues. Better known now for its young cast, many of whom went on to bigger roles.
Some tropes associated with the film include:
- Apathetic Teacher: Shoop, a PE teacher who took a job in order to have summers off.
- Big Bad: Vice Principal Gillis, of the non-villainous, Jerk Ass Has A Point type common to high school movies in The '80s. Sure, it's a disappointment that Shoop can't go on vacation, but all the Jerk Ass really wants Shoop to do is what he's supposed to do, and that's teach a class.
- Book Dumb : All the kids in Remedial English, who have varying reasons to be there.
- Creator Cameo : Director Carl Reiner as the teacher who wins a lottery and quits, leaving the school in the lurch and Shoop on the hook.
- Foreign Exchange Student : Beautiful Anna-Maria, from Italy.
- Hot Teacher: Shoop, to the girls in the class, especially Pam, who ultimately fails at a Teacher/Student Romance. Justified, as it's Mark Harmon, who had been voted People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive a year before. Ms. Bishop counts, too.
- Lovable Jock : Kevin, an all-around Nice Guy who helps Rhonda with her Lamaze.
- Nerd : Alan. An unusual example of the Hollywood Nerd, in that he's average looking (not attractive and geeked-down) and a poor academic achiever.
- No Periods, Period : Played with. When Pam ditches school to go surfing, she blames her absence on a "woman thing." Chainsaw then gripes that women have it made, causing Denise to go on a rant about how much the "woman thing" sucks.
- Wild Teen Party : The class holds one at Shoop's apartment, resulting in a couch fire.