Film / Summer Rental
is a 1985 comedy film, directed by Carl Reiner
and starring John Candy
as an overworked air-traffic controller named Jack Chester who takes his family on a summer vacation from the Atlanta area to fictitious Citrus Cove, Florida, during which they are constantly beset by a never-ending barrage of problems.
This film provides examples of
- Bumbling Dad: Jack Chester.
- Buxom Is Better: Jack meets a neighbor at the resort town who has just had enlargement surgery, and feels the need to ask everyone's opinion of how they look. Her husband tells Candy she's been doing this for weeks since the surgery, much to his chagrin.
- Development Gag: After being told they have to leave, Jennifer shouts at Laurie to stop saying everything she says. Kerri Green (Jennifer) dubbed all the lines for Aubrey Jene (Laurie).
- Groin Attack/Instant Soprano: Jack gets socked in the groin and he starts singing the first line of "The Star-Spangled Banner", which has a rising high pitch.
- Hook Hand: Scully has one as part of his pirate gimmick. It is unclear exactly how he got it.
- Jerk Ass: Captain Al Pellet really has it in for Jack. When he takes over the property after Jack's original landlord dies, his first act is to tear up Jack's rent check in front of him and threaten to evict him unless he moves out.
- Nautical Knockout