"You shed the city and lots of other things during the drive. By the time I see that water, I'm good."Skinny Dipping is swimming, but without the swimsuit. In the nude. Usually, this is used in fiction for several reasons:
— Newsanchor Wendy Rieger on skinny dipping in the Chesapeake Bay.
- Fanservice, of course. Because nothing turns people on more than water! Sometimes it's a way to get away with a nude scene without being too erotic.
- Naked People Are Funny and Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen, the latter of which is a sub-trope of this. Together, they can make a humorous situation.
- Sometimes a common element in Slasher Movies, where a female skinny dipper is usually killed by the murderer.
- Samus is a Girl. A great way to reveal her secret, right?
- To be Truth in Television.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In the first episode of Turn A Gundam, Loran Cehak goes skinny dipping in a river and gets swept away by the current. He's rescued by the Heim sisters, Sochie and Kihel, who also happen to be skinny dipping downstream.
- In Gundam X, Tiffa Adill goes skinny dipping with some dolphins. Super intelligent Newtype Dolphins.
- A Gundam Wing artbook has a picture of Relena waist-deep in a spring in the forest, with no clothes on.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Colonel Badass Natasha Zabikov goes skinny dipping in the Highlands. Sai Saici peeps on her and almost gets shot for his "trouble".
- Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho
- Kagome from InuYasha. Usually, Hilarity Ensues. It should be noticed that she later starts using a modern swimsuit when she bathes/swims in rivers and the like, only fully stripping if she's in hot springs/baths. (It'd be pretty unpractical to wear one in such hot water, anyway.)
- In El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, the lesbian couple Alielle and Fatora go skinny-dipping for Fanservice.
- In Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (part of Robotech), Marlene at one point dives nude into the lake. This is unexpected since she is normally very shy.
- Naturally for a swimming-based anime, Free!'s first episode sees Nagisa gleefully strip his clothes to join Haruka in the pool.
- In Freezing, Elizabeth Mably always swims or relaxes in the third year dorm's private pool naked, in contrast with the other girls.
- In The Familiar of Zero, Luctiana is shown swimming naked in an oasis. Later, Saito suggests he and Tiffania cool off in the oasis. He takes off his shirt and jumps in, then gets flustered when she completely strips down to join him.
- This trope could have happened in episode 35 of Axis Powers Hetalia (the World Series). Italy asks Germany and Japan to strip so they could do something while they are stuck on an island. Germany begins to strangle him, cutting him off. Italy was talking about swimming. . . but he worded his words strangely.
- The manga adaptation of Lunar: Silver Star Story includes a scene of Luna bathing nude in a forest spring. Alex accidentally discovers where she's wandered off to and simply gapes silently until Nall gives him away. Cue the fireworks.
- In episode 7 of Rinne no Lagrange, Madoka, Lan, and Muginami reconcile their misunderstandings of Muginami's older brother that occurred in the previous episode by bathing together in the ocean completely in the buff. This comes just after the Furo Scene between Madoka and Muginami concerning about the latter's Dark and Troubled Past and Lan didn't decide to bathe with them until Muginami took a walk alongside the shore.
- ElfQuest has had one or two scenes where the elves swim and sunbathe in various states of undress, including total of course.
- Happens a couple of times in Bone, once off-screen with Fone Bone and Thorn, and once on-screen with Smiley Bone. Humorously, Thorn doesn't care if Fone Bone sees her naked (telling him that he never wears clothes anyway), but when Fone walks in on Smiley skinny dipping, Smiley embarrassedly tells him to turn around until he's put his vest on.
- In an issue of Teen Titans, Ravager goes skinny dipping in the pool in Titans Tower. In Teen Titans #50 (4th or 5th volume) Ravager invites Kid Devil to come in with her.
- An issue of The Simpsons comicbook ends with the townspeople getting drenched in mud and going skinny dipping to wash off
- In Brazilian comic Chuck Billy, a bunch of hillbilly boys have this habit. A particular comic has the protagonist and his girlfriend swimming naked... and later, he gets blushed at her dress, saying it's too revealing.
- Harley and the roller derby girls go skinny dipping in Harley Quinn #10.
- Tallulah Black goes skinny dipping (complete with convenient Scenery Censor) in All Star Western #34. Jonah enjoys the view before hastening to join her.
- Sin City: Ava Lord does this in ''A Dame to Kill For", putting on a show for Dwight.
- One of the first casualties to the dinosaurs of Cavewoman was doing this. His girlfriend is found, naked and catatonic, on a later scene of the same issue. Meriem is pretty fond of it, as well.
- The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers would sometimes go skinny dipping with some girl freaks, having innocent fun and oblivious to voyeuristic police in helicopters or repressed peeping toms crowding the perimeter of a nude beach.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- The first victim of the Shark in Jaws is a woman skinny dipping.
- In 1941, a woman goes swimming naked off the California coast during World War II and winds up in a close encounter with a Japanese submarine. She's played by the same actress who was eaten while Skinny Dipping in Jaws (but she lives in 1941 happily if embarrassed).
- Forbidden Planet: Commander Adams visits Altaira while she's swimming by herself.
Altaira: Come on in!
Adams: Didn't bring my bathing suit.
Altaira: What's a bathing suit?
Adams: Oh, murder!
- Freddy vs. Jason begins with a girl skinny dipping at Camp Crystal Lake.
- Tommy Boy features a woman skinny dipping in a hotel pool while David Spade has A Date with Rosie Palms.
- National Lampoon's Family Vacation has Clark swimming naked with another woman in a hotel swimming pool, only to be caught by his family.
- In Wild Hogs, the four main characters do this but then are interrupted by a family with young children who don't realize this, and then things turn awkward really fast until the Straight Gay police officer shows up....
- In Dragonslayer, there is a skinny-dipping scene between Valerian and Galen, which also has a nice helping of Samus is a Girl for good measure.
- Tanya Roberts in the title role in Sheena, who has No Nudity Taboo.
- The infamous skinny dipping scene in Child Bride.
- Indulged in by the hero and heroine of Sssssss, leading the heroine's father to turn the hero into a snake. Yeah, you read that right.
- In Australian horror film Primal, the first character to catch The Virus gets it from skinny dipping.
- In Logan's Run, Logan 5 (Michael York) and Jessica 6 (Jenny Agutter) do this when they find a lake.
- Jenny Agutter (again) in the 1971 Australian film Walkabout. Quite a long scene.
- A German Film, Die Wolke ("The Cloud"), based on a book by Gudrun Pausewang, features two girls doing this. This is presented as carefree time, contrasted with what happens later when a nuclear plant explodes, making swimming in any natural water source extremely dangerous.
- In In Time, Will and Sylvia break away from her boring party to swim in the ocean (her mansion is next to the beach).
- In City of Angels, Nathaniel Messinger (an old, fat guy) does this. Seth follows him into the water, but keeps his clothes on.
- In Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne and two dates enter a fancy restaurant. The two air-headed bimbos almost immediately jump into the fountain and strip.
Maitre D: Sir, the pool is for decoration, and your friends do not have swimwear.
- Dana Delany and Stephanie Niznik are seen swimming nude in Exit to Eden.
- The 1998 version of The Parent Trap features twins Hallie and Annie playing a hand of Five Card Poker at summer camp, with the loser to skinny dip while the whole cabin watches. Hallie's Royal Flush beats Annie's Straight Flush. They steal Annie's clothes.
- In The Man with the Golden Gun, James Bond finds a woman swimming naked in a swimming pool. She invites him to join her, and he politely declines until she asks again. The people he was waiting to meet interrupt him before he can cast off his clothes.
- In Project X, Costa puts a "Naked Women Only" sign next to the pool. To the boys' surprise, several of the girls actually obey it.
- In A Single Man, George (Colin Firth) and Kenny (Nicholas Hoult) do this at the beach, in the middle of the night.
- In What's Your Number?, Colin and Ally do this in the Boston Harbor. Then they realize it was a stupid idea because the water is cold.
- In Alpha Dog, Alma (Amber Heard) and Julie (Amanda Seyfried) do this in a swimming pool, and don't mind when Zach walks in on them. And joins them.
- In the movie Cracks there is a somewhat creepy scene where a teacher takes the girls on her diving team for a midnight swim and they all go skinny dipping.
- One of girls in Death Screams decides to take break from the bonfire party and go swimming in nude. She's interrupted by the floating corpses of the two lovers from the film's opening, followed by the killer slashing her throat.
- The American. The protagonist takes his girlfriend to an isolated river spot, convinced she's a rival assassin send to kill him. Instead she strips down to her panties and gets in the water, but he's too tense to enjoy the sight.
- In The Price Of Milk, Rob (Karl Urban) skinny dips in a vat of milk with his girlfriend.
- In Now And Then, the four girls stumble upon the Wormer boys, who recently played a prank on them, doing this at a lake, and use the opportunity to get revenge on them by deploying the Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen trope.
- An elderly man in Florida had owned a large farm for years. He had a large pond in the back, fixed up nice; picnic tables, horseshoe courts, and some orange and peach trees. The pond was ideal for swimming , although he rarely did that anymore. One evening he decided to go down to the pond, as he hadn't been there for a while, and look it over. He grabbed a five gallon bucket with which to bring back some fruit. As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and laughing with glee. As he came closer he saw it was a bunch of young women skinny-dipping in his pond. He made the women aware of his presence and they all went to the deep end. One of the women shouted to him, "We're not coming out until you leave!" The old man frowned, "I didn't come down here to watch you ladies swim naked or to make you get out of the pond naked..." holding the bucket up he said, "...I'm here to feed the alligator."
- In The Great Brain, all the boys go skinny dipping in the local pond on a regular basis. One summer it was so hot even the grown men went, crowding the boys out. (Girls and women had to stay at home in their large heavy period dresses and sweat the summer out.)
- In Robert A. Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long, 2,000 years in the future, has to explain to his daughters / sisters / clones that people in the 20th century actually wore clothes while swimming. They don't understand why anyone would.
- Another Heinlein: Jubal's pool in Stranger in a Strange Land is swimsuit-free.
- The book series Soup: the narrator and the title character skinny dips in the book Soup and Me. However, their clothes are stolen and they are forced to "borrow" dresses to cover themselves up.
- In the Newbery book On My Honor, this is an important plot point, because the hero, Joel, loses his friend Tony, who drowns (since this is a Newbery book).
- In the story "The Echo" by J. Nagibin, a major plot point is that the girl the protagonist befriended does this. The protagonist is forced into a Sadistic Choice when a group of bullies he fears (while trying to be accepted by them) starts harassing the girl.
- In Trial by Journal, one character does this in the hotel pool at night.
- Bella and Edward in Breaking Dawn. Justified as they were 1) alone on a private island and 2) on their wedding night preparing to consumate their marriage.
- The Fountainhead starts with this.
- Fiddleback by Elisabeth Honey has a chapter named "Skinny Dipping or Free Willies II". The chapter is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- A minor plot point on When the Windman Comes by A. Michelis. The protagonist (an 11-year-old boy) discovers photos of a girl in a bathing suit and thinks the girl is Pareidolie, his friend (who is also 11 years old, just like on the photos). But Pareidolie replies that she doesn't even have a bathing suit. Her mother doesn't want her to swim together with other kids as this would be "unsafe" and to enforce this, Pareidolie is obliged to always swim in the nude. At this moment Patrick realizes that Pareidolie's mother is not completely sane.
- Happens very poignantly in Pictures of Adam, where Lisa (a girl from a rich family) challenges Adam (a boy from a poor family) to skinny dip in the nearby lake. When they do, she explains to him that "I am not my clothes, or my house... I am what is now in the pool... and so are You", bringing the point across that class differences aren't insurmountable. Being Genre Savvy, Lisa is aware of dangers (stranger-related or otherwise) in such undertaking, so as soon as they get out, she puts her clothes back on
- When Will escapes to a new world in The Subtle Knife, one of the first things he does is undress and go swimming in the ocean.
- In The Amber Spyglass Mary Malone takes her clothes to swim after some seed pods, much to the shock and gratefulness of the Mulefa. Also, both Lyra and Will skinny dip near the end of the book as a way to bathe.
- The Freshman Dorm series by Linda A. Cooney plays a more PG version of this in Freshman Schemes by having good girl Courtney Conner and her boyfriend go swimming in their underwear. When pictures emerge, it nearly ruins both of their reputations.
- Implied in To Kill a Mockingbird. The heroine's brother won't take her to a pond with him and Dill, because they prefer to skinny-dip.
- In Young Wizards Nita and Kit have to swim naked before they turn into whales in Deep Wizardry. Bathing suits don't fit on whales.
- In the book version of Dr. No, James Bond first meets Honey Ryder when she's seashell hunting while wearing only goggles, a snorkel, and a belt for her knife.
- Phryne Fisher and Simon go skinny dipping in Raisins and Almonds.
- In The Body, the book that was later adapted into the movie Stand by Me, the four boys go skinny dipping in a beaver pond, which turns out to be infested with leeches. This scene was altered for the movie, where they fall in with their clothes still on.
- In the fifth book of Venus Prime, Sparta spends the latter half of the book swimming nude in the world-ship of Amalthea.
- The Gates of Sleep: Marina goes skinny-dipping with undines once that we see, but it's clearly a common occurrence whenever the weather's warm enough.
- Little House on the Prairie: The 1977 episode "My Ellen," which actually involves young teen-agers (Melissa Sue Anderson was the only bonafide teen at 16, while Melissa Gilbert and the actress who played Ellen (Mia Bendixsen) were 13) skinny-dipping at the beginning of the episode. All that's seen are the girls' bare-shoulders, although several young boys who are classmates of Laura, Mary and Ellen hope to see more. The storyline follows the "accidental drowning" plotline when, upon discovery that they're being watched, the girls momentarily duck until the boys go away, but Ellen becomes entangled in some wooded brush and drowns.
- Veronica Mars: Veronica does it in one episode.
- White Collar has Alex making Neal skinny dip with her to prove that he wasn't wearing a wire. It should be noted, Neal is played by Matt Bomer.
- On Smallville, Clark has a fantasy about Lana and him skinny dipping in the episode "Slumber".
- In the episode "Heat", Jonathan Kent goes to Lex Luthor's swimming pool and finds a woman swimming naked in it.
- The opening of Petticoat Junction shows the girls skinny dipping in the water tank. In fact that's how that particular location gets its (unofficial) name, from the girls' petticoats draped over the side of the tank.
- In Modern Family, we learn that when she was a teenager, Claire was caught by the police skinny-dipping in a neighbor's pool.
- The Young Riders: Teaspoon discovered that Lou was really Louise, when he decided to join her in the pond she was bathing in, over "his" objections.
- Doogie Howser MD ep. “Look Ma, No Pants” has Doogie skinny dipping in the family pool with his mother’s new boss…until he gets caught by, guess who?
- That '70s Show ep "Hyde Moves In" had the gang skinny dipping in the Cold Open and lead to Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen situation. In "Graduation", Eric and Donna went skinny dipping, only to get lost and Eric seeing his sister Laurie naked and Fez to walk in on Donna.
- The CSI episode "Fracked" opens with three teenagers skinny dipping in a hot spring. They discover a dead body floating in it.
- Crazy old man Leonard does this in "Advanced Criminal Law" of Community.
- Canadian Eve Kelly made a six part miniseries, Skinny Dipping, were she got people to go skinny dipping in far off locations.
- In an episode of the beach documentary Bridget's Sexiest Beaches, Bridget Marquardt and Sara Jean Underwood tour Croatia and skinny dip in the Adriatic Sea. Amusingly, they completely ignore the unseen camera crew and expose their butts to the camera, but when some hikers stumble onto the scene, the girls freak out and order them to leave.
- In the first episode of Puberty Blues, Sue's parents insist on doing this while drunk, much to Sue's embarrassment.
- In the "Shark Island" episode of Baywatch Hawaii, Jessie takes up skinny dipping when Sean tells her about the Polynesian cleansing ritual and performs a rescue in the nude.
- Murdoch Mysteries: In "Houdini Whodunnit", we learn that Julia was arrested for skinny dipping as a student. This has an interesting effect on William.
- A frequent occurrence in Modesty Blaise.
- Implied on the backglass of Future Spa, where a man and woman are swimming in a pool without any clothing visible.
- Dungeons & Dragons Ed. 3.5 has the homebrewed flaw "Compulsive Skinny Dipper", which gives a character the compulsion to swim nude when encountering large enough bodies of water. Some circumstances (like cold, the likeness of monsters in the water, or onlookers) make it less likely to happen, though.
- One of the possible things to do as a teenager in the life simulation game Alter Ego is go skinny dipping. Depending on your choice, you either throw off your clothes and jump straight in (only to discover you're the only person who actually did it, and are thus naked in front of everyone), or, after taking your sweet time getting in, end up being the last person to get out, and are thus naked in front of everyone.
- As of Late Night, The Sims 3 has a skinny dip interaction with pools and hot tubs.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, Aversa implies that she likes to do this:
"I usually go for a swim in the lake. ... Sometimes even in proper attire."
- Hope from Alone in a Crowd does this here and somehow manages to persuade Faith to try it too. Plays up to Naked People Are Funny.
- In Fite!, Lucco and Guz go skinny dipping in a river together.
- In Flaws, a fan webcomic in the style of The Order of the Stick, a female barbarian has the aforementioned flaw "Compulsive Skinny Dipper" (as seen in this strip◊). Naturally, the party's Halfling has the flaw "Pervert".
- In Ménage à 3, Sandra and Senna get drunk together in Montreal, and decide to go skinny dipping, just because. Senna announces that she knows a perfect beach for the purpose. Which is how Sandra ends up stranded in Brazil.
- Further to the preceding — Sandra subsequently gets her own comic, Sandra on the Rocks. When she gets drunk and then dumped in a nightclub's pool in that, Her fondness for skinny dipping resurfaces and proves infectious.
- School Bites has a skinny dipping scene. Ironically, it only leads to an awkward moment for the one girl who is not done undressing.
- Magick Chicks: When Faith sees that Tiffany's tagged along for the student council's camping tripnote , she turns on the charm and suggests she keep her mask on later, for when they went skinny-dipping. The thing was, Faith was just kidding. So, when Tiff showed up naked, Faith got an unexpected, albeit very pleasant, surprise.
- In Alice, the titlular character goes skinny-dipping in the local pond with her friends Dot and Joanne, and the girls end up the victims of Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen when a dog carries off the platic bag they'd put their clothes in for safekeeping. Dot and Joanne manage to get home without getting spotted — Alice doesn't.
- From the Global Guardians PBEM Universe, aquatic superheroine Calypso, being from the undersea kingdom of Atlantis (a society with No Nudity Taboo), has a hard time figuring out why the surface dwellers insist on wearing clothing when above the water, much less when they are in it. Her default mode of dress when swimming is total nudity. This is her default mode of dress while out of the water 70% of the time, as well.
- The Cimbrean teenagers of The Jenkinsverse embrace Skinny Dipping with varying degrees of enthusiasm and innocence. Sara just sees it as the logical way to avoid having to carry home wet towels and swimsuits and finds it irritating when people get hung up on the nudity. Adam is willing to try, and decides that he enjoys it after a little initial awkwardness. Meanwhile it takes a near-death experience and an epiphany for Ava to finally join in.
- On The Ren & Stimpy Show, Stimpy invites Ren to go skinny dipping while camping. Since they were already naked, this involves taking off their furs. They are then joined (to their great horror) by a whithered old man who just loves skinny dipping. And then by the man's wife, to their even greater horror. The old man later appears through the episode, practicing such activities as skinny stomping and skinny slapping.
- One episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender has Katara taking a bath in the nude for really no important reason. She overhears a conversation held by Sokka and Toph, which, in theory, she could have done while doing some other, fully-clothed activity...
- Given that this is supposed to be a kid-friendly show, the "fanservice" doesn't amount to much more than some bare shoulder. And technically, you can't really tell even that much, since the (small) part of her that is above the opaque water and would normally be covered by her underwear/bathingsuit is instead covered by her hair.
- A right of privilege on Freedom Day in Futurama.
- In The Simpsons episode "500 Keys", Homer remembers going skinny dipping with Duff Man. This might be how he ended up with the key to the Duff brewery.
- This is the main plot of the Tiny Toon Adventures episode "A Bacon Strip", where Plucky dares Hampton into skinny dipping in Montana Max's pool, only for Hampton's clothes to be stolen.
- Before the 1960s, it was a common practice for boys in the YMCA to swim naked in the pools, because swimsuits were impractical back then.
- Similar to the above, it was a common practice for high school swimmers to swim nude during swimming practice, including Roman Catholic high schoolers.
- Even some U.S. presidents were avid skinny dippers. Some of them were John Quincy Adams, Theodore Roosevelt, and John F. Kennedy, the latter with naked girls in the pool too. He allowed the press to interview him while doing so on the condition they also swim naked.
- As the Religious Tolerance website states, "Nude swimming has probably been the rule rather than the exception during the history of mankind."
- A British tourist decided to swim in the moat of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. The police attempted to stop him but he chased them away and was finally caught two hours later.
Stop whining, Troper! Just take off your clothes already! Wee!!!
Oh no! Someone has stolen my clothes!!! Good thing no-one could see you on the Internet.
Oh no! Someone has stolen my clothes!!! Good thing no-one could see you on the Internet.