In The Beginning: The Bible Stories is an anime series that adapts the Old Testament (and Jesus' birth) of The Bible.It was directed by Osamu Tezuka as a request of the Vatican to create an anime based on the Bible. Since Tezuka died before ending the series, the direction was done by Osamu Dezaki.The most recurrent character is Roco, a fox which has many problems and misadventures.
- Accidental Murder: When Moses jumped on the abusive foreman, the decoration of the medal Moses was wearing cut the foreman's throat.
- Acrofatic: Potiphar is fat and the captain of the Guard. He is never seen in action, but he is in high rank.
- Adaptational Heroism: Potiphar's wife didn't cheat on her husband and didn't imprison Joseph.
- Adaptational Villainy: Judah encouraged Simeon to kill Joseph. In the Bible, he was against killing Joseph and suggested to sell him as a slave to save his life from the rest of brothers. Here, he still suggests that, but he is happy about it.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Mostly played straight, although there are aversions when Moses and the second Pharaoh were kids.
- Bare Your Midriff:
- Beauty Mark: Hagar has one on the right side of her chin, and is quite beautiful.
- Bowdlerise: The character Roco the Fox, who is very notable in the series, was almost completely removed from the English dubbed version for no known given reason. The only time he ever appears in the English version is in one brief scene in the first episode and that's it.
- Carpet of Virility: Potiphar has lots of hair in his chest.
- The Chew Toy: Roco. His clumsiness and lack of success are for comic relief.
- Friend to All Children: Moses shows shades of this when he talks about animals with the children. Tzipporah had told them to go, but Moses let them speak to him.
- Friend to All Living Things: Moses recognizes animals as creations of God, and even talked a few children about them.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Age was not kind to the second pharaoh. He looked fine when he was a teenager, but now, not. He became fat and has a rather mean face.
- Seldom-Seen Species: In the Creation episode, there's a bunch of relatively obscure prehistoric animals such a brontothere, a glyptodont and giant Archeopteryx, alongside with sabertooths and mammoths. The Noah's Ark episode had 3 pairs of 3 penguin species.
- Shirtless Scene: Frequently on men. Or Walking Shirtless Scene.
- Skinny Dipping:
- Adam and Eve did this in the first episode
- Moses and the second Pharaoh (in his youth) involved in this when they were young, and the latter saw the former was circumsized and thus a Hebrew.