Manga: Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho
Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho
— the title translates to "Healthy Naked Swimming Team Umisho
", which, besides being a Word Salad Title
, is a more than apt description of the show. Umisho
is a Sports Story
that revolves around the Umineko Shougyou Swimming Club and their highly unusual teammates as they make their way to the top of the tournaments and engage in wacky Day In The Life
moments in between.
Kaname Okiura ("Okky" to some) is the manager of the Umisho swimming team, except that he can't actually swim. The team is in need of members, and that's when newcomer Amuro Ninagawa and her floating house pulls up to shore. Amuro has a hobby for nude swimming, and turns out to be quite proficient at it, having lived her whole life on the sea. She joins the swimming club, and things start from there.
The show is fanservicey, but it feels innocent, and the cast is great. Worth checking out.
Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho provides examples of the following tropes:
- Alpha Bitch: The captain of the rival team.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Riru to Amuro.
- Babies Ever After: The epilogue shows Kaname and Amuro with a toddler son. Considering how the time skip only spanned five years, Amuro should have gotten pregnant before she turned 18
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Plenty of nudity, no sign of nipples (even when they're supposed to show), body hair or other anatomical details.
- Averted during the hot spring chapter, where is openly stated that everyone (minus Makio) have body hair and the girls even make a bet where the losers will have to shave their pubes.
- Beach Episode: Or rather, beach scenes in several episodes. Including the first episode, when Amuro's house arrives at the beach.
- Bland-Name Product: Googre. Also potentially lampshaded Engrish.
- Blue with Shock
- Captain Ersatz: Maaya, of Asuka Langley.
- Cat Smile: Amuro
- Censor Steam
- Childhood Friend Romance: The last volume of Umisho, which didn't get adapted reveals that Kaname & Amuro — the Official Couple — did meet each other once during their childhood.
- Covert Pervert: Shizuoka, and how...
- In the manga, it runs in the family. Okiura finds both of her parents in a Hadaka Apron at one point, and they're also apparently in the Furry Fandom.
- The manga also shows Shizuoka being WAY bolder and perverted, at the point of turning her obsession for Kaname's penis (don't ask...) into a running gag. The final volume shows her actively trying to feed him an aphrodisiac laced chocolate to have her way with him!
- Cute Little Fangs: Maaya Nanako
- Ecchi/Fanservice: Tons of it. Shizuoka's rear is fanservicey enough to break a camera.
- Evil Redheads: Maaya only brings back bad memories for Kaname.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Okiura. Admittedly, they are gay, but gay guys are guys nonetheless.
- Eyecatch: Specialized to each episode.
- Fan Disservice: Ikamasa, even in the OP. Everyone in the swim club finds him fan-disservicey too as he wears speedos all the time, likes to show off his speedos, has a custom speedo with his own face on the front that he likes to show off by putting his custom speedo's face in everyone else's face, takes his speedos off at the slightest provocation (sometimes so he can put on girls' swimsuits) and gets entirely too excited about shaving anyone and everyone, which he will also try to do with the slightest provocation (and he apparently keeps his razor in his speedos). However, it all manages to be so hilarious that it almost doesn't count as Fan Disservice.
- Fat and Proud: Ikamasa gets horribly fat after graduating high school and leaving the swimming club, but he couldn't care less. Later he recovers his original athletic bulid, though...
- Festival Episode
- Gag Boobs: Shizuoka and Nanjo, the captain of the rival Shinomiya swimming team.
- Genki Girl: Amuro; Makio
- Gonk: Takeda' head looks like a hybrid between an onigiri, a daruma doll, and a shark.
- Hair Colors
- Hand Behind Head: Amuro does this quite often.
- Hot for Student: If Sanae is to believed.
- Hot Springs Episode
- Idiot Hair: Makio
- Innocent Cohabitation: Amuro lives in Kaname's house after hers is damaged in a typhoon. Of course, being the persons they are, Amuro and her dad decide to live inside of a tent built inside of the guest bedroom...
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Amuro, who thinks nothing of using the garden hose at Kaname's house as an impromptu shower or inviting Momoko to swim in the buff with her.
- Innocent Innuendo
- Japanese School Club
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Shizuoka, especially in the manga, where her fantasies and antics keep her on the verge of orgasming more than once.
- Marshmallow Hell
- Mushroom Samba: With actual mushrooms. Momoko ends up stripping and jumping in the pool after ingesting one. It's a TV-friendly change made in the anime, because in the manga, it was sake mistaken for water and used for sports drink... by Amuro.
- Naked People Are Funny: Ikamasa's obsession with Speedos and indifference towards casual nudity is certainly Played for Laughs. It helps that he has elements of Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- New Transfer Student
- And later on Maaya Nanako.
- Official Couple
- The Ojou: Shizuoka
- Older Than They Look: Makio is supposed to be in high school, but looks much younger than she is.
- Opposing Sports Team: Shinomiya being the main one.
- Parental Abandonment: For some reason, Amuro and her hippie father has left behind her mother and a bunch of younger siblings in Okinawa in order to live in a flimsy houseboat near the Umisho school. Kaname apparently only has a mother, and, aside from the Captain's father, no other parents are ever seen.
- Raging Stiffie: The manga occasionally shows Takeda's reaction to the Fanservice surrounding him.
- The Rashomon: Sanae and Momoko each give varying versions on how the Umisho team was formed.
- Sacred First Kiss: Kaname's first is in the darků by Amuro's crossdressing brother.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: If Sanae is to be believed. Also, Nagi.
- Shorttank: Makio. the epilogue shows how, five years later, Makio still looks like a kid despite being on her early twenties.
- Shout-Out: To Code Geass and Initial D.
- Skinship Grope: Yet another fine Fanservice moment (or twelve) brought to you by this series. Shizuoka is, by far, the most frequent victim/recipient.
- Straight Gay: In the manga, Okiura ends up attracting one.
- Tag Team Twins: One of the rival teams is a group of quadruplets.
- Theme Music Power-Up: Both literal and to the trope. The team of quadruplets can only swim at peak efficiency in tune with their school's anthem. Amuro, in the finale, is able to win when the show's theme tune guides her to victory.
- Third-Person Person: Maaya Nanako
- Tournament Arc: The Kantou tournament
- Tsundere: Momoko
- Unknown Rival: Maaya, in regards to Amuro.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Riru on everyone outside his family.
- Verbal Tic: Takeda ends all his sentences in "da na".
- Villainous Crossdresser
- The Club Captain has rather disturbing inclination to wear female swimsuits and drop his pants at the slightest provocation. He also has a thing for shaving anyone and everyone...
- Amuro's brother as well, as he loves to dress like a girl just for the sake of being a pest.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: At the prefectural tournament in episode 8, Momoko gets coerced into making a bet with Nanjou that the loser of the 100-meter freestyle has to have a "nip slip" in front of the crowd. After Momoko wins, she's rubbing it in when the crotch of her swimsuit snaps.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The final manga chapter skips five years to the future to show us what happened to the original members of the swimming club. Everyone get to follow a career or open their own business, except for Kaname, who (after being cured of his swimming fears) marries Amuro, and leaves to happily live as nomads on the sea with her and their little son.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Riru Ninagawa