And yet, things still seem to have got a bit ecchi.
is found in many anime, in many forms. When it appears to be a major focus of the show, then it's safe to assume you're watching Ecchi
"Ecchi" (pronounced EH-chee)
is used by English-speaking anime fans to refer to soft-core pornographic or sexually suggestive anime and manga, and that's the definition this page uses. It is a "milder" version of the word "hentai"
. However, this is entirely a western invention, as in Japanese, "ecchi" is a catch-all term for all things sexual, however slight or strong, and not really considered a "milder" term; on the other hand, in Japanese "hentai" need not be sexual at all.
The word "ecchi" arose from how Japanese speakers pronounce the letter "H". Transliterated back into English, we get "ecchi". The letter "H" comes from the word "Hentai
", but the term as currently used is not synonymous with Hentai
, as mentioned above.
The line between Ecchi and Hentai can be hard to draw at times. However, one good rule of thumb is, if it was aired on Japanese public TV at all
, it probably wasn't Hentai. Ecchi usually features Barbie Doll Anatomy
, or avoids nudity with lingering Panty Shots
, on the other hand, will usually show full frontal nudity in some explicit form, and full, intimate sex scenes. At its mildest, Ecchi is closer in spirit to shows like Three's Company
and Are You Being Served?,
full of Double Entendres
, big misunderstandings
, and sexual farce
. At its most explicit, it is still more in the realm of HBO Presents than Vivid Video. Another good way to distinguish the two are if there are any animated sex scenes. If so, you have left this genre entirely.
To borrow an old saying, when it comes to sexual content, Ecchi is the sizzle; Hentai is the steak.
Due to its dependency on fanservice and sex-orientated-humor: the focus is generally the females, which leaves the protagonist to be a stale, faceless camera
to capture all of the escapades and shenanigans
going around him.
Possibly because sex is inherently funny
, a large number of Ecchi series are comedies
. Many start out as softer versions
of actual hentai content (such as video games), while others may revert/graduate back to such if an OVA
Note that display of nipples alone is not sufficient to be considered Ecchi. Shows exist that aren't focused on sexuality, but will show the occasional bare breast. Like Europe, Japan is also a bit more relaxed about displaying breasts on regulated tv then in America, but typically does not show such content in most of its shows. In America, display of nipples means you are either watching something on pay TV such as HBO, or something completely off TV altogether.
- 12 Beast from the same author as Daily Life with Monster Girl and Deadline Summonner has this in spades, with the twist that they are (mostly) cute monster girls
- Ah My Buddha
- Air Gear: Very few authors would go for ecchi in a series about roller-blading, but Oh! Great is the proud exception.
- An Angels Marshmallow
- B Gata H Kei
- Battle Programmer Shirase
- Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts
- Bikini Warriors
- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
- Cahe Detective Club
- Cat Planet Cuties
- Change 123
- Chrono Crusade,
- Cosplay Complex
- Cross Ange
- Cube×Cursed×Curious makes it very obvious as you get a Panty Shot of the main character before seeing her face.
- Daily Life with Monster Girl - a.k.a. Monster Musume has this in spades with cute monster girls.
- Deadline Summonner from the same author as the above continues the trend.
- DearS (Magical Girlfriend? Not necessarily ecchi. Magical sex slave? Ecchi.)
- Dragons Rioting
- Empowered, the Animesque comic. Sex scenes galore, but Godiva Hair and Scenery Censor are flat-out abused.
- Elfen Lied: A subversion, the story as a whole is a drama/horror. Much of nudity is Fan Disservice and misleads the audience quite a lot.
- The Familiar of Zero
- Freezing: The anime tears clothing off every female in every episode, often leaving them with only a shaded/whiteout bar for modesty.
- Futari Ecchi: Although it does straddle the line between this and Hentai.
- Gacha Gacha features plenty of boobs, panties and other lighthearted fetish material, there's even some nudity, although only limited to nipples.
- Ghost in the Shell — Man-Machine Interface specifically.
- Girls Bravo
- Golden Boy
- Green Green: While the 12-episode anime is ecchi, an OVA which is considered by some to be episode 13 is straight-up hentai.
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai
- Hand Maid May
- Heaven's Lost Property
- He Is My Master
- Highschool of the Dead features Gainaxing on girls being torn apart by zombies, a girl cracking open human skulls with a wooden sword while wearing nothing but an apron and a thong, and one particular gratuitous sequence of bouncing in Bullet Time.
- High School Dx D: If you've gone more than one episode without seeing a nipple or one of the girls in an advanced state of undress (Or nothing at all) then something is amiss.
- Higurashi: When They Cry: these OVAs are much more fanservice centered than the original series.
- Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere: Its use of the World of Buxom trope is enough to land it in this genre. Even without having the biggest breasts many of the woman are still well endowed.
- Idol Pretender
- I Dream of Mimi could be considered a borderline case for either Ecchi or Hentai, though it is marketed primarily as the latter. It stands more or less in the same position as Ebichu — there's a lot of risque material, but it's too funny to be a straightforward Hentai.
- Ikki Tousen
- I"s: Manga about a guy who would really like to date a certain girl.
- Is This a Zombie?
- Jungle de Ikou!
- Kanokon. So much hypersexuality in one half hour.
- Kill la Kill: Nudity is mostly the whole point of the show and there's lots of it with almost all characters.
- kiss×sis tells the story of two girls' attempts to date, and especially sleep with, their step-brother, while dealing with a horny teacher, a classmate with continence problems, and an Older Than She Looks kouhai who are all aiming for the exact same thing.
- Koe de Oshigoto!
- Koihime†Musou jumps between shameless pantyshotting and contriving to get the girls into as many compromising positions as possible, often lampshading it and complementing it with surprisingly classy dialogue and references.
- Kyo Kara Maoh!
- Ladies Versus Butlers!
- Love Hina: Less risque than the manga it was based on. Manga features lots of naked female flesh, albeit with absence of nipples and barbie-doll crotches, anime has them wrapped in towels or shown from behind)
- Mahou Sensei Negima!, by the same author as Love Hina.
- Maicchingu Machiko Sensei is one of the Ur Examples — being a kids show that revolves around new and creative ways for the title Machiko to lose her clothing and/or be sexually molested by her elementary school students.
- Mai-Otome Zwei. The rest of the Mai Hi ME franchise is fairly heavy on the Fanservice but doesn't focus nearly as much on it.
- Maken-ki! is a harem series (with a conspiracy plot!) set at a school where the student body is predominantly female; most of whom have D-Cup breasts and above. Art by former hentai/doujinshi artist, Takeda Hiromitsu.
- Mashiro-iro Symphony
- Masou Gakuen HXH - The girls literally get a power-up from sexual intercourse.
- Master of Martial Hearts
- My Lovely Ghost Kana
- Nagasarete Airantou
- Nana to Kaoru
- Need a Girl!
- Ninin Ga Shinobuden (Simultaneously parodies this and plays it straight.)
- Nozomu Nozomi
- Okusama Ga Seito Kaichou - Another 'how far can we push this before being labeled hentai' type of series.
- Omamori Himari.
- Please Teacher!, Please Twins!, although these shows have a bit more serious content than most, especially the latter.
- Oruchuban Ebichu (While the show featured material that could be considered explicit, the simplistic art style and goofy premise kept it from being taken seriously as Hentai.)
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, though the majority of the fanservice is played for parody.
- Princess Lover! - The twelve-episode anime; not to be confused with the OVAs, which are hentai.
- Prison School
- Queen's Blade has no objection to showing nipples, and the proportions of the female characters cover every trope applicable to breasts.
- Ranma ½
- Rio -Rainbow Gate!-
- Rising X Rydeen
- Rosario + Vampire (the anime; died off in the manga)
- Sekirei is a pretty ecchi manga and anime series... including giant breasts, nearly naked scenes and lots of nosebleeds from the main male character.
- The Seven Deadly Sins
- Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!
- SHUFFLE!, one of the best examples of Cerebus Syndrome in the genre (harem comedy turns dramatic halfway into the series. Let's not even get started on Kaede Fuyou snapping on Asa Shigure.
- Soul Eater Not! - While the original manga and anime had occasional fanservice, this spinoff series takes it up a notch.
- Steel Angel Kurumi
- Strike Witches
- Sundome. Another borderline case.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Guren Gakuenhen (The high school AU manga).
- Tenjho Tenge
- A Certain Magical Index
- They Are My Noble Masters.
- To Love-Ru. While certainly not the first manga to incorporate loads of fanservice and interesting shots of semi-naked to naked young women, To Love-Ru takes the trope to a whole 'nother level to put it bluntly! The sequel "Darkness" somehow manages to crank things up to where you'd swear at times you were looking at a Hentai work, not a fanservicey rom-com!
- Triage X
- Trinity Seven
- Ultimate Girls
- Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid takes this as far as it can before becoming straight up hentai.
- Variable Geo is about a womens only MMA competition for combat waitresses, where the loser of each match has to strip for the audience.
- Video Girl Ai
- Wagaya no Oinari-sama.
- The Witchblade anime surely delights in showing Masane's... ample assets with VERY LITTLE covering them. However, it's in many ways a subversion — as the actual appearance is quite sexy, what's she doing is absolutely not.