Anime: Oruchuban Ebichu
"That's the wrong hole!" — Ebichua.k.a. Ebichu Minds the House; Ebichu the Housekeeping HamsterEbichu is the talking pet hamster of a woman identified only as "Owner", "O.L.", or "Office Lady", a 25 year old, technically single woman facing Christmas Cake status. O.L.'s life consists of trying to get by, negotiating the hazards of dating her philandering boyfriend "Kaishounachi" — a nickname literally meaning "useless" — and beating Ebichu like an ugly redheaded stepchild on Sunday for minor infractions and major insults. Ebichu's life consists of thankless housework, cheese, an astonishing lack of anything remotely resembling tact, an unfortunate tendency to interrupt O.L. and Kaishounachi in flagrante delicto, and getting beaten violently. Around this core swims a sea of perverts, private moments made public, illicit liasons, promiscuity, and the odd side character who finds Ebichu sexually attractive.Kid's fare, this is not.The show was originally part of an anthology series (Ai no Awa-awa Hour) and each episode is approximately eight minutes apiece. While the other two components were reputedly much tamer (and forgotten by the fanbase) the good people at Studio Gainax apparently took advantage of the late-night time slot to push the envelope as to what Japanese censors would allow. The result was a frequently hilarious, incredibly irreverent show whose short format perfectly suited the rapid-fire verbal and visual zingers.According to one source, the origin of the anime stems from the production of Neon Genesis Evangelion; Kotono Mitsuishi would read the manga between takes to lighten the mood, often showing others why she was laughing. The decision was eventually made to animate it for Ai no Awa-awa, and the lead role was promptly offered to Mitsuishi.For those not easily offended, it is an enjoyable series which would not require a huge investment of time to see. The whole shebang is on youtube if you dare. (Warning: Extremely NSFW.)Absolutely no relation to Hamtaro!
- Bastard Boyfriend: Kaishounachi is incredibly neglectful and indifferent to his girlfriend, and seems to only be interested in her for sex. He does arrive in a flash when he thinks she's in trouble, which suggests he does genuinely care about her to some degree.
- Bedtime Brainwashing: (3:15 to 4:15. NSFW) Ebichu does both Pleasant and Troubling. She does Pleasant to her beloved master (normally a depressed and desperate Christmas Cake) who ends up waking up the next morning feeling completely refreshed and in good spirit. Soon after, she tries to do Troubling to said master's undesirable boyfriend by pretending to be the boyfriend's boss at work and calling him useless and all that. This attempt is subverted by the fact that the target was actually awake the entire time and hilariously beats Ebichu bloody.
- Big Eater: For something her size, Ebichu is a surprisingly big eater.
- Black Comedy: Dead, and thrown in a blender.
- Blank White Eyes: Occasionally happens whenever something horrifies Ebichu.
- Brand X: Several renamed popular products. (Zabu detergent = "Zabubu". Donna Karan New York (DKNY) = "DINKY". Yebisu beer = "Yebichu", a joke carried over from Evangelion.)
- Christmas Cake
- Cute but Cacophonic: Ebichu; the cute part is open to question.
- Does This Remind You of Anything? and Lampshaded Double Entendre in equally hefty portions.
- Dream Within a Dream: Maa-kun dreaming about Ebichu.
- Easily Forgiven: All it takes is a few kind words from Kaishonachi, and Office Lady will immediately forget his neglectful nature.
- It also helps that Ebichu frequently does something even more infuriating — instead of O.L. being mad at Kaishonachi, they both wind up being so angry with Ebichu that they forget they were just arguing.
- Fanservice: Subverted. O.L. is shown naked or in revealing clothing frequently, but the art style isn't exactly titillating. The fact that Ebichu frequently delivers some Squick alongside this only further removes the possibility.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: Not that the show in general is family friendly, but you don't expect a tiny rodent to have so much blood...
- From the Mouths of Babes: Nearly all of Ebichu's lines, and the main reason she gets beaten up so much.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Inverted. O.L. and Kaishounachi are both jerks but their sex life is suggested to be the only healthy thing about their relationship.
- Gratuitous English: The opening sequence of "Ebichuman".
- Hentai: Generally averted. Characters do have sex onscreen, but the prevailing art style is so primitive as to obviate any prurient interest. The sex is secondary to the jokes about sex.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: O.L. once drugged Kaishonachi's drink to make him stay. Unfortunately, she drank out of the same glass and wound up passing out next to him.Ebichu: Morons.
- Interspecies Romance: Maa-kun and Ebichu.
- Jerkass: Office Lady and Kaishonachi. The former is usually only mean because of Ebichu's antics, but the latter has no excuse.
- Nosebleed: Maa-kun is extremely susceptible to this.
- Mahjong: Maa-kun first meets Ebichu over a game of Mahjong. Ebichu wins.note
- Office Lady
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The protagonist is simply known as O.L. (Office Lady) or Goshujin-chama; her sexual partner as Kaishonachi (useless bum).
- Pun: The "manko" (pussy) puns will surely get on your nerves by episode 15 or so.Ebichu: (in Engrish) LADIEZU AND GENTLEMANKO!
- Punched Across the Room: Happens to Ebichu at least Once an Episode.
- Refuge in Audacity: The show's sexual escapades are done in deliberately crude style to keep them humorous and unappealing.
- Running Gag: Many of them, run straight into the ground, through it, and out the other side.
- Satchel Switcheroo: In "Ebichuman 3", Ebichu mixes up two packages she is supposed to deliver.
- Smoking Hot Sex: Sometimes, after Ebichu's owner and her boyfriend finished making love.
- Stalker with a Crush: Maa-kun's crush on Ebichu eventually crosses over into this territory; in his last appearance, we find him surreptitiously taking photos of Ebichu through the window of the apartment.
- Superhero Episode: Ebichuman
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: This is exactly why Ebichu is a Bad Liar."I don't know anything! I didn't do anything to you in the middle of the night!"
"I didn't break your pearl necklace."
"While you were out, I didn't touch your Camembert, and I definitely didn't eat all of it because it was delicious!"
- Talking Animal
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ebichu loves camembert cheese and ice cream, and to a lesser extent, syrup.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: A talking hamster who does chores? Nothing weird about that, no siree!
- Verbal Tic: Ebichu tends to replace "s" and "sh" with "ch" toward the end of her sentences, leading to words like arimachen, kudachai, and most commonly dechu.
- Combined with Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode's name, except for the appearances of Ebichuman, ends with "dechu".
- Your Cheating Heart: Although he has a girlfriend, Maa-kun lusts over Ebichu.