(School Of Water Business
) is a 22-volume manga by Inokuma Shinobu, based on a story by Murozumi Hikaru. In the sleepless town of Kabuki-cho stands a high school unique in Japan, where students are taught the ways of the "water trade". The story follows the lessons and tribulations of its students and staff, from the inauguration of Mizushou to the graduation of its very first generation, three years down the road. It is Slice of Life
, school drama, and romantic comedy, with all the Fanservice
one might expect from the premise while still focusing on plot and characterization.
A sequel manga exists, as does a live-action TV special.
This manga provides examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: At least until the end, for some.
- Badass Mustache: Principal Yagura.
- Blank White Eyes: A frequent occurrence. Also the default expression of Izumi's younger siblings.
- Buttmonkey: Tanabe-sensei. Nagasawa also gets his share of abuse.
- Camp Gay: Ono-sensei and pretty much everyone else in the Gay Bar course, with one noted exception.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Tanabe-sensei's drunken rampages become infamous throughout the school (and probably throughout the town, too).
- Caught in the Rain: Happens to Tanabe-sensei and Yoshioka-sensei in Volume 10. Nothing much happens in the physical sense (aside from him stripping off her wet clothes so her fever doesn't worsen), but we do find out something significant to their relationship.
- The Chikan: Played with. Teppei is elated to have encountered one, the Fuuzoku class simulates the situation as an exercise, and one appears during the baseball tournament arc as part of a plot to discredit the Mizushou team.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Takigawa is one of the more openly perverted characters in the story, but still a good man who goes to great lengths to help those who need it. He also works at the Japanese Ministry of Education and is a key person behind the founding of Mizushou.
- Class Trip: To either Hokkaido or Kyushu, though only the Hokkaido trip is shown.
- Comical Angry Face: Usually Mari and Nagasawa at each other, or Kurosawa-sensei towards some unfortunate victim
- A Date with Rosie Palms
- Defeat Means Friendship: A slightly stronger version, after Teppei-chan defeats Rikimaru in the judo tournament, the latter shows up outside Mizushou's front gate...with flowers.
- And even before that, Nagasawa begins to fall for Mari after provoking her to a fight and suffering a humiliating defeat at her hands.
- Evil Gloating: Sakuma indulges in this.
- Foreshadowing: As early as Volume 1, we are shown Tanabe-sensei's reason for leaving his previous school was due to a student falling in love with him and the subsequent fallout. The resolution of this event is the last major arc of the manga.
- Gag Penis: Not so much in terms of size, but as an actual gag. One class exercise involved a "customer costume" consisting of swim trunks with a fair-sized kokeshi attached. Tanabe-sensei seemed crestfallen.
- Important Haircut: Teppei-chan cuts his hair as part of his resolve to make it to Koushien with Ooigawa.
- Love Dodecahedron: A fairly tangled mass centered around the main couple.
- Luminescent Blush: Most characters get this at some point.
- Megaton Punch: Inflicted on Nagasawa by Mari after most of their arguments.
- Naked Apron: Susie does it, but her roommate is not very appreciative.
- Nosebleed: Often, of the high-pressure variety.
- Not What It Looks Like: Though Tanabe later averts an I Can Explain, due to events in the preceding arc.
- Older Than They Look: Koizumi Chika.
- Ordered to Cheat: Ooigawa is told to do this by his abusive coach Kinoshita. He rebels in the end and transfers to Mizushou afterwards.
- Pants-Free: After getting into a fight after some sex on the school roof, Susie wanders back into the school without skirt or panties.
- Panty Shot: One of the milder forms of Fanservice used, really.
- Parental Abandonment: Many of the students suffer from this. Abusive Parents show up as well.
- Punny Name: Oda Mari. Odamari means "Please be quiet!" She is fully aware of and much annoyed by this.
- She later meets a woman whose name can be read as "stuffy nose".
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Most of the school's staff are this, being as much the focus of the story as the students.
- School Festival: Being set in a high school, both this and an athletics festival show up. Don't expect any of the usual events, though.
- School Idol: Reira thinks she should be this, but Teppei-chan is quite evidently the real idol of the school.
- School of Seduction: Mizushou is a straight example, and located in a Red Light District to boot.
- Smug Snake: Sakuma, oh so much.
- Their First Time: The lead-up to Mari and Nagasawa's first time is played fairly seriously, after much angst on both sides. Then it makes it into the school newspaper.
- Those Two Girls: Ryouko and Izumi are this to Mari for much of the story.
- Virgin Tension: Subverted. Mari is actually a virgin despite have engaged in enjou-kousai prior to enrolling at Mizushou. However, the Fuuzoku course does not accept virgins, due to the sexual nature of the career and the school's reluctance in leading to a student's first time being with a complete stranger as a customer. Ultimately the problem is solved, but not without first causing a good amount of angst.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Teppei-chan, who is adored by his male and female classmates.