Manga: Seishun Kouryakuhon
"If you want to reach a new tomorrow, you have to move towards it, right?"
When you're spending your days idly, you often don't realize how fast the end is approaching, and when it does come, you have to wonder—did you do everything you should have, and how will things be from now on?
At least, that's what Isezaki, Kurata, Uemura, and Nogami have to wonder.
By Akiduki Sorata, the author of Akagami no Shirayukihime
, Seishun Kouryakuhon is a short, two-volume Slice of Life
manga that anyone who's graduated from high school will likely relate to. Following the adventures of four friends at the all-boys school, Kamiyama High, it deals with the boys' struggles with crushes, exams, their friendship, and ultimately, their impending graduation and separation.
Tropes associated with Seishun Kouryakuhon:
- The Ace: Isezaki, somewhat—he's the sort of person who's friends with everyone and well-liked by the teachers, even being chosen to give the graduation speech.
- Adorkable: Aside from perhaps Nogami, who lacks the dork aspect, each of the boys at times—Isezaki with his dramatic tendencies, Uemura with his shyness around Haru, and Kurata with his social awkwardness in Chapter 2.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Nagise.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Isezaki to Nagise in the last chapter.
- Archer Archetype: Kurata, who's in the kyudo club. Averted with Isezaki, however, who's also in the club but doesn't fit the archetype at all.
- Bishōnen: All four, really.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Uemura's noted to be the kind of person who's only loud around other guys—and he's certainly shy enough around his crush, Haru.
- Cloudcuckoolander: All of them, save Kurata, have their moments, but Isezaki in particular.
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Dark and Troubled Past: Nogami was a Delinquent at his middle school, where he wasn't happy, which is why he's so glad now to be at Kamiyama.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kurata.
Uemura: "But I think our prayers are more likely to be heard when there are less people in the shrine."
Isezaki: "That really makes sense."
Nogami: "Yeah, if several hundred or thousands of people prayed at once, it'd be tough on the gods, too."
Kurata: "The number of people praying has nothing to do with the probability of having your wish granted."
- Defrosting Ice King: Kurata's not particularly icy, per se, but it takes him a while to adjust to being part of a social circle for once.
- Delinquent: Nogami used to be one.
- Determinator: Isezaki, ranging from his crazy stunts to writing a university entrance exam with a fever!
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Nogami was mistaken for a girl once back in middle school.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Isezaki is sanguine, Uemura is choleric, Kurata is melancholic, and Nogami is phlegmatic.
- Genki Girl: Haru. It's part of what Uemura likes about her.
- Hot-Blooded: Isezaki and Uemura.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nogami occasionally has shades of this, whether he's teasing the others or slightly pissed off.
- Last Name Basis: The four generally only refer to each other by last name, seeing as how this is Japan, though Kurata occasionally gets called by his first name—probably because they know he doesn't like it.
- Long Distance Relationship: Though they don't become official until the last chapter, Isezaki and Nagise, as the latter studies abroad.
- Love at First Sight: Isezaki, with Nagise.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Isezaki does some pretty wild things thanks to his crush on Nagise.
- Nice Guy: Isezaki, given that he was the only one in the class who didn't mind Kurata's attitude at all, and wasn't put off by Nagise's initially standoffish behaviour.
- Not So Above It All: Kurata, whenever he takes the initiative to help Isezaki with his zany schemes.
- Not So Stoic: The others are utterly amazed when they see Kurata laughing.
- Odd Couple: Isezaki and Kurata. Their classmates are, at first, surprised that Isezaki can even get along with the latter.
- One-Gender School: Kamiyama High, which is also next to the all-girls school, Sakurano.
- Only Sane Man: Kurata goes between this and the Straight Man, depending on just how silly the others are being.
- Oral Fixation: Nogami can sometimes be seen snacking on a lollipop.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Two pairs within the four: Isezaki and Kurata, and Uemura and Nogami.
- Second Year Protagonist: The four start off as this.
- The Stoic: Kurata and, even more so, Nagise.
- Student Council President: Kurata is rumoured to be this, but given that he makes no indication whatsoever of being part of the student council, it's likely false.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Kurata. He's initially somewhat unpopular among his classmates who fail to realize the 'sugar' part, aside from Isezaki.
- Tender Tears: Isezaki's not above getting teary over emotional events, such as leaving the kyudo club or when he realizes that they're all going to separate after graduation.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Kurata has this dynamic with the others, given his rather different personality.