The things one does for love.
A one shot, three chapter horror manga by Yoshitomi Akihito
about two Japanese school girls who really want boyfriends. But rather than going through the trouble of getting the attention of a boy, talking to them and just being themselves, they decide on a much quicker way to do so... By hunting mermaids in their school and eating their flesh.
No, really. That's the premise. If you're still skeptical, see for yourself
. A warning - the ending is pretty disturbing and definitely scary. View at your own risk.
- And Then John Was a Zombie
- Author Appeal: There's only one reason behind the mermaids being portrayed as cute (but creepy) teenagers in classic Japanese school swimsuit...
- The Bad Guy Wins: Haruko wins, but the ending brings up the possibility that one day she will screw up and lose in the worst possible way.
- Batman Gambit: Haruko pulls one on Yoshiko - helped along by the fact that the latter had more than one flaw that fed into it
- Cute Mute: All the mermaids. Obviously cute, and can only make screech sounds.
- Dissonant Serenity: The mermaids don't seem the least bit bothered by being stalked by girls trying to kill them, until one gets brought down. Also seen when Haruko watches them drag Yoshiko away.
- Downer Ending: Haruko got Yoshiko turned into a mermaid because Yoshiko is easy prey, and Haruko will move on to the next person - boyfriend, victim, somebody. There is the possibility that she will screw up at some point, and get turned into a mermaid herself, though.
- Evil Plan: Brilliantly masterminded by Haruko on the unathletic, weak-hearted Yoshiko from the beginning.
- Eviler than Thou: Haruko happily pulls the trigger and eats the mermaid while Yoshiko is going through her Heroic BSOD / Villainous Breakdown and is doomed by it.
- Et Tu, Brute??
- False Friend
- Flaw Exploitation: Why Haruko chose to partner up with Yoshiko in the first place.
- Heroic BSOD / Villainous Breakdown — depending on how you view Yoshiko, her loss of composure in the last chapter spells her doom.
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Love Makes You Evil: Haruko is so obsessed over Tanaka that she's not only killed and eaten several mermaids, but sets up another girl to be transformed so she can eat her, too.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Most obviously, they look like schoolgirls in swimsuits, able to "swim" through walls like they were water.
- Race Against the Clock: You'd better be finished by the time sun comes up...
- The Reveal: Let's just say there's a reason those mermaids are there in the first place...
- Slasher Smile: That creepy-ass grin of Haruko as Yoshiko is turned into a mermaid. You'll know it when you see it.
- Squee: Creepy mermaid sound.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Journal detailing the mermaids and how to hunt them. It obviously contains Things Man Was Not Meant to Know.
- Unwitting Pawn: Yoshiko can't bring herself to eat Ohara, and that attack of conscience dooms her when Haruko's subsequent Eviler than Thou Batman Gambit comes to fruition.
- Villain Protagonist: Both girls but Haruko's Eviler than Thou Gambit turns Yoshiko into the hapless victim