Tycho and Gabe unleash their inner fangirls.
"Yeah, but I'm a girl. I'm supposed to swoon over gods of rock!"
A squee is the sound made by excited fangirls
). The exact nature of what makes someone squee depends on the type of fan. Shippers
squee when something happens with their favourite pairing. Comic
fans when they get a new comic or model. Video Game
fans squee at the announcement of a game in their favourite series. It can even be caused by meeting a favourite actor, actress, or other celebrity.
It is an excited expression of desire for the object that caused the squee, though not necessarily sexual desire. Can be triggered by Cuteness Proximity
or And the Fandom Rejoiced
In writing, it is often followed immediately by the emote *dies*
, to imply that the user in question has suddenly fainted from euphoric overload. In Japanese, "Squee!" often translates to "Kyaa!".
Most likely a mutation of or derivation from "squeal". Possibly a Portmanteau
of "squeal" and "glee". Any resemblance to Squick
is (mostly) purely coincidental, but it is worth mentioning here that one person's Squee can be another person's Squick
For the comic book, see Squee
. Or, if it's the other guy named Squee
, see Magic: The Gathering
. For the rodent, see Myst III: Exile
. And if you want the game company, add a "nix" to make Squeenix
Compare The Knights Who Say Squee
. A common result of a Shirtless Scene
, Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
or even Guy-on-Guy Is Hot
: This page is for In-Universe
examples only. Real Life
squeeing goes to Gushing About Shows You Like
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- This is the standard, frequently-used reaction to the female customers whenever the main characters entertain them in Ouran High School Host Club. In episode 23, the eponymous club's female patrons unleash mass quantities of Squee when they see the innocent Haruhi acting friendly with the Jerk with a Heart of Gold Casanoda. Of course, since the girls don't know the truth about Haruhi, they assume the whole thing is ripe with Ho Yay.
- Kaorin from Azumanga Daioh, regarding Miss Sakaki.
- Sakaki, regarding cats. When she's first approached by Yamamaya, she squees so hard she starts to lag.
- In the fourth episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Nanoha's classmates give a slightly subdued squee when Fate is introduced. Perhaps Fate is just a Squee-Magnet...
- In the English translation of the Strawberry Panic! manga, Shizuma's fangirls react to her by going literal "Squee".
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Judai summons his Winged Kuriboh in a public match and the female half of the audience immediately starts fawning over the cute lil' fuzzball.
- The female audience does this again when Judai pours a bag of fleas down a guy's pants, forcing him to discard them.
- Another non-erotic example: Binbou Shimai Monogatari appears to be constructed around the squee-laden interaction between the two sisters Kyou and Asu.
- in Kamichu!, Yurie's schoolmates watch and squee their heads off when she finally tells her love interest how she feels for him. To be fair, the whole school has worked darned hard to help her make this happen, since Yurie is one hell of a shy god.
- Rena from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni does this whenever she sees something she perceives as "cute". Hauu~
- Used, and not in a good way in School Mermaid by the eponymous mermaids. Not out of joy. It's all they can say. The effect is absolutely disturbing, considering their faces always have the same blank, eerie smile on them. Only when the 'O' mermaid gets stabbed in the arm, and, a few moments later, beaten to death with a crowbar, does her expression change.
- Fullmetal Alchemist's Winry in response to the automail center of the universe.
- K-On! leader Ritsu does a high-pitched squee twice in the first episode, when the other two main characters join her club.
- The other students in the main characters' class squee over Mio being voted into the role of Romeo (by a huge margin, naturally).
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: The entire class does this when introduced to their 10-year-old teacher.
- Haruhi-chan. When Haruhi sees Santa (well, actually Taniguchi dressed as Santa), her squee results in a Distant Reaction Shot showing entire galaxies.
- In Infinite Stratos anime, this trope described the formerly-all-girls-school students' reaction when they saw Ichika Orimura (their first male student) holding the hand of Charles Dunois (they were hurrying to the gym changing room) perfectly.
- Usopp and Chopper from One Piece do this when they see Franky's features after the timeskip.
- Inami from WORKING has a moment when she finds out that Souta doesn't use his self defense on her because it hurts (She thinks he doesn't want to hurt her)
- In Mayo Chiki!, Usami does this very briefly after eating an octopus ball at the school festival in episode 6.
- The schoolgirls often do this as well anytime Subaru is around.
- In Bodacious Space Pirates the members of the Space Yacht Club all Squee in unison when Lynn and Jenny have their Big Damn Kiss on board the Bentenmaru.
- In Gate 7, Chikahito, being a Kyoto fan and history nerd, squee over Kyoto's ancient buildings, food, temples...and reincarnated people of the Sengoku era.
- Tamayura has Riho squee when she meets Fuu for the first time.
- In the fifth episode of Rosario + Vampire Moka does this several times when she and Tsukune look for clubs to join.
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures fic Queen Of All Oni, when Jade first sees the first Teachings of Eternal Shadow tablet, she purrs.
- Happens again when she finds the second one.
- In the Official Fanfiction University of MREDURE, it is established that in any continuum where "squee" is a noun, squeeing produces human-sized versions of whatever or whoever a squee is that glomp the squee-er and vanish.
- This sounds a lot like how Drow Tales said chibis are formed...
- In this fanfic, which parodies Sues and Fangirls, Fangirls not only Squee on a regular basis, but the herds they travel in are also called Squees.
- DC Nation universe example: Green Shield AND Speedy both do this after Mia dishes that Connor finally worked up the nerve to kiss Mia with no major angst or world-destroying crap over their heads. Made funnier by how much of a Snark Knight Shield usually is.
- In the Neon Genesis Evangelion fic Nobody Dies, Rei is prone to these. Maya does it somewhat often, usually involving Ritsuko. And after the main cast briefly visit the Canon!Eva verse, Canon!Rei picks this up (albeit subdued) from her counterpart.
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero Mikuru does this after seeing a picture of Kyon in an apron.
- In Loathing, Yaoi Fangirl Alyssa is very happy upon walking in on Kurt and Dave kissing.
Alyssa: Ohmigod, ohmigod, I'm so sorry I just walked in like that, but I wanted to surprise Kurt with an early Christmas present, and and Oh my God, I just can't I mean, Kurt sometimes talks about a boyfriend, but he never mentions who or where the guy attends and, and! Oh. My. God! Eeek, I'm so happy! Seriously, you don't know how happy you two just made me. Kurt, don't even get me anything for Christmas, okay? Like, seriously. The mental image of you two kissing has been forever photographed into my memory, and it's like crack to me.
- Alex frigging Mercer lets off one of these in Unfamiliar. Admittedly, it's at the sight of a large, well-stocked armory, but still. Throughout the entire fic, he continues to pronounce his love of explosives in an uncharacteristically giddy manner.
“Missiles!” Mercer squealed. “And launchers! And guns and grenade launchers! Jackpot!”
- In the Soul Eater fic Noir Ange Liz and Patty exchange "Squees and Kawaiis" over what Kid writes in his Diary about Crona.
- In CSI Death By Chocolate, Greg Sanders is a huge fan of Wonka candy, to the point that this is his reaction to actually meeting Willy Wonka.
- Turnabout Storm: While maintaining her composure on the outside, Twilight goes full squee in her Inner Monologue after she discovers from Phoenix that those locks and chains she's been seeing lately over some ponies (Psyche-Locks) basically mean that she's become a Living Lie Detector.
- A Hard Day's Night has examples of Squee in the film itself, most likely inspired by Real Life. Hilarity Ensues.
- Zombieland: Tallahassee's reaction to BILL-FUCKIN-MURRAY!
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Knives Chau's reaction toward Scott and his band screams this.
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?: The Soggy Bottom Boys' impromptu appearance at the Stokes campaign dinner leads to a roomfull of squee.
- Cher Horowitz squee'd at least once in Clueless.
- The Avengers features both a regular and a meta example. The normally reserved Agent Coulson struggles (and fails) to avoid gushing like a fanboy about meeting Captain America, eventually bringing up the subject of his trading cards. Meta-wise, Clark Gregg (the actor who plays Coulson) admitted in an interview that the SHIELD helicarrier made him squee, even mentioning it by name and explaining that he'd never really understood the meaning of "squee!" until that moment.
- Charlotte from The Princess and the Frog squees over a newspaper report that Prince Naveen is coming to town, complete with clutching the newspaper to her chest and leg-flailing.
- Time Scout:
- When Kit and Malcolm take Margo shopping in preparation for her trip to London. She goes catnip crazy for the fancy clothes.
- While investigating Jack the Ripper's occult connections, the Ripper Watch Team runs into Malcolm's favorite poet, William Butler Yeats. He can barely restrain from soiling himself.
- Black Tide Rising: Faith tends to do this when presented with new ways of killing zombies, so much so that in Strands of Sorrow she's specifically ordered to not squee before being told of the tanks and other armed military vehicles at the Blount Island facility. She does it anyway, before catching herself.
Live Action TV
- Doctor Who:
- In "The Romans", Vicki emits a high-pitched sound of delight when told she can come to Rome, and does it again when she meets Nero for the first time. At the end of the story, the Doctor gets in on the act: Vicki points out to him he had changed history, having been accidentally responsible for Nero's burning of Rome. When the Doctor realises this is the truth, he gibbers and squeals in delight.
- Often the reaction of the Doctor, his companion, or both to meeting a particularly awesome historical figure. William Shakespeare, Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens all produce particularly nerdy reactions in the Doctor.
- Furthermore, in Series 3, episode 2, with Tennant:
The Doctor: Come on, we can all have a good flirt later.
Shakespeare: Is that a promise, Doctor?
The Doctor: Oh, 57 academics just punched the air.
- Ten(nant) did this simultaneously in and out of character, over the 5th Doctor in the mini-episode Time-Crash.
"You know... I loved being you. Back when I started at the beginning I was always trying to be old and important, like you do when you're young. And then I was you."
- In "Planet Of The Dead", Dr. Malcolm Taylor of UNIT has a complete squeeing Fan Boy crush on the Doctor, having read about him for years. The Doctor decides to just roll with it if it saves the day quicker.
- In series 6, the Eleventh Doctor is reduced to giddy incoherent squee noises when he finally finds out who River Song really is.
- At Comic-Con 2009, John Barrowman let out a positively ear-splitting one after David Tennant kissed him. Said squee was so loud it managed to be heard over the squees of most of the DW fanbase.
- Seb, an AI working with Missy, has this reaction when the Doctor pulls out a TARDIS key while falling out of a plane and manages to summon the TARDIS in time to save himself. Missy gets annoyed and vaporizes him.
Seb: Permission to squee!
- Happened on Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Dawn squeed upon discovering that Willow and Tara were back together. She then retreated downstairs, leaving them alone.
- Earlier than that, Willow gave an unintelligible high-pitched squeal when Buffy's mother's paramour gave her computer upgrades for free, which Xander described as the sound she makes when she has a surge of geeker-joy.
- Tough girl Faith gets as close to this as she'll ever get when the Mayor gives her a PS1. That more than anything else seems to be the deal maker for her working for him.
- A great example from the Christmas-cookie episode of Good Eats:
: Two hours?
In two hours I'll be three time zones from here! I don't have that kind of time! [touches nose, the lights flash]
Alton Brown: What was that?
SC: Localized temporal displacement...magic. It's now two hours later in your kitchen! Dough's ready!
AB: Is not. [pulls the dough out and checks it] It is! Santa really is magic! * squee*
- In Dollhouse, Bennett Halverson has a quiet moment like this when she learns she's about to meet Topher Brink, who she has a huge geek-crush on. Topher has this afterward regarding Bennett, when he calls up himself in Victor's body.
- Parker does this by name to The Mark as part of her Honey Trap in an episode of Leverage.
- Detective Kate Beckett becomes a fangirl when she meets Joe freaking Torre. She manages to keep the Squee out of her voice until Torre is away.
- In Season 4 Episode 2, a killer chops the "victim", who was in the early stages of raping a girl in an alley, in half vertically. The first shot Castle and Beckett see of the suspect from a security camera shows that he's wearing a superhero costume. Castle squees with delight all episode about chasing down a superhero.
- In Mad Men, Sally Draper's reaction to Don's birthday gift to her (tickets to a Beatles concert) is a classic tween-girl squee.
- In Scrubs, Turk, of all people, squees quite loudly when JD's current girlfriend happens to be the granddaughter to Billy Dee Williams (aka, Lando from Star Wars).
- House of Anubis: This has basically become Willow's catchphrase.
- Sarcastically invoked in an early Garfield, where Jon excitedly announces to a grumpy Garfield that he will be getting liver for dinner; Garfield (without changing his facial expression) responds with "Oh hooray, hop about, clap paws, squeal with glee."
- In 'The Answer' storyline from Persona 3: FES there's a flashback to Akihiko-senpai in junior high after winning a boxing match. When he brushes off a recruiter from another school, his fangirls do this—"Squee!" is written in their dialogue.
- Merrill squees at Donnic and Aveline when they get together in Dragon Age II.
- In Hyrule Castle Town, Link in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has a trio of fangirls who hang outside Purlo's tent. If he wins the STARS minigame, they squee whenever he talks to them.
- In Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, when you feed a Hungry Luma to fullness, it lets out the most epic squee.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, Veronica gives a squee if you give her a dress.
- In Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, Sugar squees if you agree to go on a 'date' with her to a special place.
- Portal 2: "Space? Space! SPAAAAAAACE!"
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you can bring the Elder Scroll required for the main quest to the orc loremaster at the College of Winterhold once said Scroll has expended its usefulness as a Plot Coupon. This is probably the first time in history you'll get to hear an orc squee.
- Saints Row: The Third: The Player Character does this, upon discovering that the Mayor of Steelport is Burt Reynolds, and that he wants him/her to do a mission for him. Viola even demands that you "Stop being such a fanboy." as you leave.
- Kimi of High School Story tends to punctuate her dialogue with "Squee!" when she's happy.
- In Puyo Puyo, Amitie has one when she wants to find out what Maguro's "you-know-whats" are. She shortly ends up getting disappointed.
- In an unlikelier scenario, Schezo will squee at the sight of Dongurigaeru or Onion Pixy, which he finds to be cute in their own ways.
- The Nostalgia Critic finds himself cooing over the classic Sesame Street characters in Follow That Bird.
- The Nostalgia Chick doesn't really do this often, preferring to mock it instead with shouts of "PUPPIES!" every now and then, but she was utterly delighted when Santa Christ gave her Othello in Kickassia.
- She also squeed over "Dougie!" Jones in her video review of Hocus Pocus.
- And she had a practical fangirl sugar high when injected with truth serum by Dr. C. Tease in her review of X-Men: The Animated Series.
- JesuOtaku also did this during her and the Critic's co-op review of the Digimon Movie over seeing Seraphimon.
- Also in the Legend Of Korra vlogs, Doug Walker's brother Rob squeed over the re-appearance of Uncle Iroh in the Spirit World in the episode "A New Spiritual Age". Twice, the second time literally squealing the word "Squee!".
- When The Cinema Snob learned that the film he was watching starred Pierre Kirby (having thought he'd already seen every Kirby movie, as imdb didn't list this one), he emits the noise of a rubber duck being squeaked.
- This backfires on him when he tries to invoke it by name in a later episode:
[clenching] "...the hell? Where's my Squee sound?" [Tries again and 'breaks wind'; exasperated] "Great. A fart joke.
- Also of Channel Awesome, Jew Wario of You Can Play This! is a grown man whose squee reaction to things such as cats is almost hilarious to behold.
- A non-erotic example of squee.
- Gaia Online's Rina does this a lot.
- Neurotically Yours actually had FOAMY, the biggest Jerk-Ass on the internet, do this and give his COFFEE BREWER a hug.
- BEHOLD! The Daily Squee. Now say goodbye to your efficiency.
- Spazz and Disneyworld in Project Million.
Spazz: Disneyworld? You mean the Disneyworld. The one that opened in 1971 housing the fourteen parks, home of the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcott, and Hollywood Studios? Why aren't we there now?!
- In the Siblings episode "Dog Daze of Boredom", Rob does it after Johny tells him "I think that school's warping your mind."
- Chuggaaconroy finds a shiny.
- Wizard and Boomstick of Death Battle get a case of this when it's revealed that the 25th episode would be Superman VS Goku.
- Gaijin Goombah has this reaction in Game Exchange when he learned Tank! Tank! Tank! was going to be released on the Wii U
- Youtuber iHasCupquake evokes this trope passionately and often, especially with cute animals (virtual or not).
- Sursum Ursa's review of The Avengers.
Sursum Ursa: "There may come a day when I can talk calmly about [this movie]..but it is not this day, because EEEEEE!"
- In The Heroic Review during the review of Rainbow Falls, panelist Swedely gives a massive one during his introduction when Derpy is revealed.
- During "Teens React to Doctor Who" several are literally squealing with delight at the 50th anniversary trailer; meanwhile Bryson deadpans "I should be freaking out about this if I was like a fan, right?"
- In episode 17 of Dragon Ball Z Abridged, King Kai is trying to talk Goku out of fighting Freeza, and failing horribly as everything he says just makes Goku want to fight Freeza even more. When King Kai says that Freeza has slaughtered billions of people Goku starts squealing out of joy.