A staple of many anime, the School Swimsuit (also abbreviated to sukumizu
, from "school mizugi
[swimsuit]") is either the older skirted two-piece◊
, or a newer, simple "competition" swimsuit◊
(the former most often for elementary schoolgirls, with the wearer's name on a large white label in front, and the latter for middle and high school girls); while it is not particularly exposing, it nevertheless manages to serve as fanservice
, as well as nostalgia (for those lovely
school swimming classes!) and moe
While most such School Swimsuits are dark blue, occasionally, girls are shown wearing white
versions, for similar reasons to why men love wet T-shirt contests
If a character even brings this to the Beach Episode
rather than wearing a bikini, it is to show that she is more prudent (or in some cases, more immature) than the rest of the cast.
Contrast Barely-There Swimwear
. See also Joshikousei
, Sailor Fuku
and Catholic School Girls Rule
Important note: If image links are provided, please be discreet, tasteful, and/or discerning!
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- There are numerous examples of the girls of Gensokyo shown wearing such swimsuits. The most common targets are Nitori and Youmu.
- Of special note is the artist/musician WINN, who has a whole series of fanart and fanvids featuring the Girls wearing school swimsuits.
- Winn is almost certainly the best example of this trope (at least as far as Touhou + school swimsuits goes), considering that he (?) even manages to work in action scenes and the occasional Crowning Moment of Heartwarming (although YMMV). That is... not exactly easy when your main character is dressed in Fetish Fuel. See for yourself.
- Glee has a synchronized swim team, which allows the scenes with Coach Roz Washington as well as Fanservice. The usual uniform is red◊, while the suits worn in "We Found Love"◊ are of the "skirt" variety. One episode of The Glee Project also featured the red suits.
- Ar tonelico has a fair amount of artwork of the Reyvateils wearing school swimsuits.
- One of the randomly selected pictures shown upon clearing a stage in Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice depicts a number of the female class types wearing these, which is fitting, considering the game's school setting.
- Pangya has one of these swimsuits available for Kooh to wear.
- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure. Our protagonist, Parin, has one of these as her swimsuit of choice. It's also a bonus costume.
- The Dead or Alive Xtreme subseries have school swimsuits in navy blue, navy blue with name tag, and white. The main series occasionally features them as well, going all the way back to the PlayStation port of the original game.
- Mokoto Aihara from Rumble Roses wears one for her alternate swimwear attire. Her Heel persona comes with a much skimpier version.
- Arcana Heart: Kira Daidouji wears one all the time.
- Triggerheart Exelica: Exelica's body suit is white school swimsuit.
- In Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken, the dark-blue older version of it is Yuki Shirogane's unlockable alternate outfit.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha As Portable: The Gears of Destiny, this is one of Reinforce Eins' unlockable alternate outfits, complete with a swimming tube. Yes, Reinforce Eins. The tragic, mother-like, Really 700 Years Old personification of a Weapon of Mass Destruction. Rule of Funny.
- Averted, strangely enough, in Persona 3 and Persona 4, where none of the cast ever wear thse, despite them all being in high school AND other fanservice clothing being available (such as Meido, Chainmail Bikini and almost Barely-There Swimwear).
- The young female Tuber trainers in Pokemon Diamond And Pearl and Platinum wear these.
- Japan-based swimsuit maker, Footmark has developed a new design, which is even more conservative than the current school swimsuits and cuter in style.
Officially named the "Double Flare Skirt One-Piece", this newly released swimsuit allows young girls to cover up during swimming lessons at school. The skirt portion of the swimsuit features a double flare design and ruffled sleeves. It also has a raised, boat neck-style neckline, reducing the amount of exposed skin.