Short skirts are feminine and sexy, but if you move too much, it's very hard to avoid Panty Shots
while wearing one. This is where Modesty Shorts
come in. They let a woman jump, tumble, fight, or even fly without anyone catching a glimpse of her underwear. Other common variations are large puffy bloomers in non-period pieces which are used as a bit of a fancier version normally on more gothic characters. In Western works, spankies are worn for this purpose under cheerleading outfits.
This trope is common in anime, as School Uniforms
are almost always extremely short. It is often worn by Kick Chicks
, Action Girls
or anyone else with an active lifestyle.
Compare Skirt over Slacks
, which are visible when a woman walks normally and used as a fashion statement, though sometimes they can overlap. May be combined with Zettai Ryouiki
An alternative solution for this problem is the Magic Skirt
open/close all folders
- In a commercial for The25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee the Asian chick does a kick revealing that she wears shorts under her schoolgirl skirt.
- Hersey's Air Delites animated ad.
- A male version is found in this Lycos seach engine ad here (It's in French with English Sub). A man in a kilt is having a hard time keeping his kilt down while playing the bagpipes. The dog in the commercial brings him some of these shorts so all is safe from being seen.
Anime & Manga
- Added to Supergirl's costume from late 2009 until her costume change for the New 52 reboot. According to the artist Jamal Igle, “At the first meeting I had with [Matt Idleson, the editor] after I got the book, he said, ‘I never want to see Supergirl’s panties again'."
- In the first Resident Evil film, Alice wears black shorts underneath her red dress.
- In A League of Their Own the female baseball players uniform includes skirts and shorts. Also in the Real Life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League upon which the film is based.
- The players originally wanted to wear slacks, as they had always done when playing baseball. They are at first horrified and disgusted to find that their uniforms will include skirts, with the catcher muttering: "I have to squat in that thing."
- In The Poseidon Adventure, all of the women except Stella Stevens were wearing shorts under their evening gowns, for some reason.
- Go Go Yubari in Kill Bill.
- In the Live Action Remake of Blood The Last Vampire Saya wears short under her already long skirt to avoid Fanservice, this is in tone with the original film, where Panty Shots are averted.
- Firefly: River wears black bike shorts under her dresses. There's a couple times where she skips the skirt part and just wears the shorts with a top, as well.
- Highlander's Duncan MacLeod is a rare male example: In flashbacks to his long ago youth in Scotland, Duncan inevitably wears biker shorts under his kilt, often visible in action scenes.
- See a female in a skirt on Power Rangers? There's a really good chance that they have either black or Ranger colored shorts on underneath. Kimberly has gone even further by wearing shorts over shorts.
- Tori from Power Rangers Ninja Storm goes the extra step of wearing shorts while morphed. However, in comparison to other female Rangers with contrasting leggings in the franchise, it actually gives the allusion of a Panty Shot rather than actual modesty shorts.
- While Super Sentai typically loves the Magic Skirt trope, there are some exceptions.
- Austin and Ally has Ally wearing short dresses in almost every episode, and she usually has black shorts on if she does something that flips her dress up. It's usually just a shadow, since it IS a Disney show.
- Shake It Up had Rocky wear this at least once. She wore biker shorts during a spotlight dance, and for good reason since the skirt spent almost as much time up as it did down.
- That's Just Me had an episode where Elizabeth wears a jumper-dress to gym class because it's the last week of school and they won't be doing anything. Her mom doubts this, however, and makes her put gym shorts on under it.
- In the first episode of the sixth season, ''Do I HAVE to Go to High School?!', she's been told her class will be active, so instead of dressing nicely but casually, she shows up in a super fancy 50's style outfit with shorts under the skirt. The activity was later revealed to be dancing, so she never needed shorts, but her feet hurt from her diamond flipflops.
- The "Caramella Girls" are shown wearing shorts under their short skirts while they're dancing the Caramelldansen.
- Kpop idols wear safety shorts under their skirts and dress and be seen in music videos while dancing and twirling like in f(x)'s "Electric Shock" and "Rum Pum Pum Pum" as well as Girls' Generation's "Visual Dream".
- These kind of shorts were Macaela Mercedes's backup when she was placed in an evening gown match, in case she lost(she did at least once to The Diva).
- Daizee Haze's most common ring gear basically is modesty shorts with a really tiny skirt.
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth with Kay Faraday — official artwork shows that she is wearing a pair of shorts under her skirt.
- Bloomers are prevalent in Touhou fanart due to the Lolita-style outfits and highly-acrobatic depiction of the game's Bullet Hell fighting. Also canonical for at least some of the characters in the spin-off fighting games.
- Street Fighter
- Chun-Li wears tights beneath her short qipao.
- Sakura Kasugano wears her gym shorts underneath her uniform. Though given how short they are, the effect is mostly lost on most western gamers.
- Street Fighter Alpha 3: Karin Kanzuki wears a red schoolgirl outfit over her biker shorts.
- Super Street Fighter IV: Ibuki and Makoto's alternate outfits are their school uniforms, with bike shorts under their skirts.
- Aika from Skies of Arcadia wears black shorts under her mini.
- Ling Xiaoyu◊ from Tekken commonly wears a qipao with shorts underneath; if not for these, she'd be bare all the way from the hips downward. And for extra modesty points, when wearing her bonus schoolgirl uniform in Tekken 3, one of her victory poses note is disabled to prevent her from blatantly flashing her panties.
- In a male example, classic depictions of Castlevania's Simon Belmont had him wearing small shorts under the "skirt" plates of his armor.
- Kid Icarus' Pit's redesign used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising features black shorts under his toga (smart move, with all the flying around he does).
- Super Smash Bros. After fighting with her bare legs under her dress in Melee, Zelda was given a set of leggings under it from Brawl onwards.
- The Legend of Zelda: Most of Link's incarnations have given him either a set of green shorts or, more commonly after the release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a set of tights under his tunic.
- Almost all of the Cartoon Doll Emporoium dress-up dolls, since they're made for kids, will have shorts when you strip them instead of normal panties, although while a few games have normal panties, they are usually black. The Dress Up Dream dolls, which usually share ties with CDE, do this same thing.
- Unless they are wearing a full-body costume, female Miis in Mario Tennis Open wear shorts under their skirts.
- Played with by Kick Chick Serina Leaf of Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars, as her skirt is so frilly on the underside that it's impossible to see above her knees. Illustrated perfectly in her official art, which is an upskirt shot.
- In Rusty and Co., Madeline is sensibly wearing (anachronistic) biker shorts under her leather skirt in her first appearance. (In the second, she's wearing winter clothes, making the matter moot.)
- A Dumbing of Age story has Joyce go on a date with Joe, and wear a rather fetching yellow dress. After the date goes south, Joyce goes home and changes, revealing that she had pajama shorts underneath the whole time.
- In Worm, Glory Girl's superhero costume (a white dress with cape, boots, and tiara) includes a pair of these.
- Called "activity shorts" by Cat Davis from Cat on the Prowl.
- Junior high school girls in Japan typically wear their gym shorts (knee-length) under their (calf-length) uniform skirts. This is a practical necessity when they have to switch to their P.E. clothes two or three times a day, in schools which lack changing rooms. Most boys wear their shorts under their uniform slacks for the same reason.
- This also applies to elementary school girls: many of them, especially in the older grades, wear shorts to keep their modesty.
- The majority of schoolgirls around the world wear shorts under their school skirts, whether it's for warmth or modesty.
- Skorts (skirt + shorts), also known as culottes, which are Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Cosplayers dressing as sexy/scantly dressed characters can choose to wear underwear underneath the costume to prevent breaking city codes or harassment.
- Cheerleaders typically wear a type of shorts that are a bit of a cross between large panties and tight shorts. They would basically have to since most routines seem at least partly designed to flip up their skirts as much as possible.
- Medieval Icelandic women wore pants — women's pants — under their skirts.
- Many idols wear them in performances, to keep their pants from showing in dancing numbers.
- At Scottish cultural festivals, male athletes and dancers are required to wear black shorts under their kilts.
- The dread gym knickers. Old-fashioned (still current into this millenium in some private schools) British school uniforms kept girls in short, pleated skirts for sports. For modesty, there were matching knickers which you wore over your normal cotton pair, in the same heavy fabric as the skirts. They were as sweaty and abrasive as they sound, and you still ended up with muscle injuries from bare legs in freezing temperatures.