open/close all folders
- In a commercial for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Marcy does a kick revealing that she wears shorts under her schoolgirl skirt.
- Hersey's Air Delites animated ad.
- A male version is found in this Lycos seach engine ad here (It's in French with English Sub). A man in a kilt is having a hard time keeping his kilt down while playing the bagpipes. The dog in the commercial brings him some of these shorts so all is safe from being seen.
Anime & Manga
- Mikoto Misaka of the A Certain Magical Index franchise has this trope as her fashion calling card, much to Kuroko Shirai's dismay. Also, Shizuri Mugino does it once. Mikoto's clones wear striped panties instead, which often helps Touma determine when he's speaking with one of them, rather than with the original.
- Bakemonogatari: Suruga Kanbaru wears this, in conjunction with her school uniform. Of course it's left unclear whether or not she's actually wearing anything underneath them.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- Setsuna wears compression shorts under her skirt, and has a bit of both shyness and tomboyish traits. Akamatsu did this to show that she was a less sexual character than the other girls. She later ditches these, but wears long-boyish underwear instead.
- Asuna dons in later chapters, too. Although in her case it's less about tomboyishness and more about not wanting to flash people whenever she fights in a miniskirt after a certain Going Commando incident in the Kyoto arc...
- Hayate the Combat Butler:
- Katsura Hinagiku wears a skirt over her bicycle shorts.
- Izumi also wears these in the first season of the anime for a quick joke/censorship reasons, but in the manga she is shown not to, at least on some occasions. She was wearing them when Hayate needed to use his special attack on Yukiji and feared the side effect would lift Izumi's skirt.
- Satsuki Miyanoshita of Ghost Stories wears them in one episode, after getting tired of Hajime flipping her skirt and revealing her panties.
- Eureka of Eureka Seven wears a pair under her very short dress.
- Ai Nanasaki from Amagami SS wears her School Swimsuit under her clothes, leading Jun'ichi to think he got a view of her panties when... he didn't.
- Suzuna of Eyeshield 21 wears biker shorts under her cheer uniform. This is partially because she's the Token Mini-Moe of the cheerleading team and partially to reflect her Short Tank personality.
- A common Running Gag in How to Read Manga is "don't you dare wear bloomers/shorts": basically, a man gets so angry when the Panty Shot he anticipated is ruined by the girl in question wearing shorts or covering bloomers that he slaps her.
- Crystal, when she's introduced in Pokémon Special, drops her skirt to take on some Slugma, revealing that she's wearing bike shorts underneath.
- With all of Sapphire's impressive physical feats, it was really quite thoughtful of Ruby to make her bike shorts along with the skirt.
- An episode of Pokémon where we see May changing into a swimsuit confirms that that strip of white cloth over her shorts is indeed a skirt, rather than an extension of her undershirt.
- Korrina, the Shalour City Gym Leader, is a lot more free to show off on her rollerblades knowing she has a pair of these.
- Kaname in an early chapter of Full Metal Panic! wears gym shorts under her skirt to prevent panty shots.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Vivian Wong does this in the 4kids dub—but ''not'' in the original.
- Wendy Garret of GUN×SWORD wears black bike shorts underneath her trademark yellow dress: probably a wise choice for someone who plans to hike across a whole continent in a short skirt.
- Bakuman。: In the Show Within a Show PCP, Annojo Mai has these. Mashiro and Takagi were very deliberate about this.
- A teacher in Urusei Yatsura gave Lum a pair of shorts to wear underneath her uniform after noticing that she was flashing other students as she flew around the school.
- The title character in Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne wears these with her Magical Girl outfit in the second season. In the first season, her outfit had no shorts underneath and was more following the Magic Skirt example.
- Isanami from Brave10 wears cycling shorts under her miko open attire. In 1599.
- Fabiola Iglesias from Black Lagoon wears black shorts under her full length skirt. And she does still need them when she busts out her capoeira moves.
- Plotpoint in Ultimate Teacher where the resident Cute Bruiser Hinako can only fight when she's wearing Lucky Kitty bloomers, a brand that she's worn constantly since childhood so that she could fight without getting teased about showing her panties.
- The extras in one volume of Fruits Basket examined the school uniforms. It notes that if your skirt is as short as Tohru's, it's a good idea to wear shorts underneath.
- Arisa Bannings' battle outfit in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT, which is a pink Mini Dress Of Power and jacket combo worn over a pair of cycling shorts.
- In All Rounder Meguru Kamiya explains that everyone wears gym shorts under skirts these days. Cue Big "NO!" from two upperclassmen.
"What's with them?""That's the sound of their lecherous dreams being shattered..."
- Kiki's Delivery Service uses the bloomers variety to avoid inappropriate upskirt shots of the often-flying heroine.
- In episode 9 of Tokyo Mew Mew, Bu Ling is shown to wear her regular clothes, shorts and all, under her maid uniform.
- Kodomo no Omocha's Sana Kurata is revealed to be wearing a pair when her school's gang of bullies shred her skirt with box cutters.
- Variable Geo: Jun wears a black pair of bike shorts with her waitress uniform. Which prevents any peeks up her skirt during her high flying specials, like her signature finish: the "Kubota Special".
- Bleach: During Renji's flashback to how he and Rukia met, he is wearing a very short kosode, but clearly visible underneath are the skin-tight shorts he's wearing, which come further down his legs than his kosode does.
- In the manga version of Azumanga Daioh, the girls hang Chiyo upside down from a window as a good-weather charm. She's wearing shorts under her skirt.
- Kashima, the resident Bifauxnen of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, is shown to wear shorts under her uniform's skirt in her official profile.
- Sakura from Naruto wears a pair of bike shorts under her dress. Ino is shown to use bandages for the same purpose when first introduced.
- Some of Sakura's outfits in Cardcaptor Sakura involve these.
- Wholesome Crossdresser Aoi Futaba of You're Under Arrest! wears biking shorts under his skirt.
- Action Girl Benio of Twin Star Exorcists sports a pair. In one episode of the anime adaptation, she goes without because they're being washed. Of course, that winds up being the day that she's forced into taking part in what amounts to indoor parkour with Rokuro as part of a test of their ability to work together. He quickly agrees to forget that he saw anything.
- All of the titular team of Smile Pretty Cure! wear biker shorts under their skirts.
- They're worn by other Cures, too, such as Cure Black.
- The title character from Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! wears shorts under her skirt because she's active (not to mention a Kick Chick); on top of that, she wears a fairly short skirt with her school uniform because it's easier to move around in. In one story arc her friend Misuzu forces her to lose the shorts in an attempt to draw the attention of her best friend Junichiro. Naturally, Finagle's Law is in full effect, and a stray gust of wind gives Jun a good look at Tomo's panties.
- Mina Ashido from My Hero Academia is stated to wear shorts under her skirt, presumably to facilitate her hobby of dancing. Resident perv Mineta notices when she does some breakdancing.
Mineta: What's the point of a skirt if you're just gonna wear shorts underneath?!
- Lampshaded in SOS Pretty Cure after Haruhi takes down some bullies. They express disappointment at not seeing her underwear, and she flips her skirt deliberately to show them her bike shorts just to add insult to injury as she remarks, "Sorry to disappoint."
- Cure Dragon wears this in Futari Wa Pretty Cure Dragon; Rica Watson also wears this with her school uniform.
- In the semi-genderbent Sword Art Online story, The Kirita Chronicles, Kirigaya Kazuta wears shorts underneath her skirt in the real world prior to the beginning of the Death Game.
- The over-the-knee bloomers make frequent appearances in SFW Touhou doujins, particularly action-oriented ones with lots of movement. They fit right in with the outfits most characters wear.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- In the first Resident Evil film, Alice wears black shorts underneath her red dress.
- In A League of Their Own the female baseball players uniform includes skirts and shorts. Also in the Real Life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League upon which the film is based. The players originally wanted to wear slacks, as they had always done when playing baseball. They are at first horrified and disgusted to find that their uniforms will include skirts, with the catcher muttering: "I have to squat in that thing."
- In The Poseidon Adventure, all of the women except Stella Stevens were wearing shorts under their evening gowns, for some reason.
- Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill.
- In the Live-Action Remake of Blood: The Last Vampire Saya wears short under her already long skirt to avoid Fanservice. This is in tone with the original film, where Panty Shots are averted.
- Firefly: River wears black bike shorts under her dresses. There's a couple times where she skips the skirt part and just wears the shorts with a top, as well.
- Highlander's Duncan MacLeod is a rare male example: In flashbacks to his long ago youth in Scotland, Duncan inevitably wears biker shorts under his kilt, often visible in action scenes.
- See a female in a skirt on Power Rangers? There's a really good chance that they have either black or Ranger colored shorts on underneath.
- Kimberly wears a leotard under pretty much every single outfit from the first season and a half. Even if she's not actually wearing a dress! Around late-season two she switched to skorts, which give the same effect.
- Ashley from Power Rangers Turbo and Power Rangers in Space wears black/yellow shorts that extend past the hem of her tiny miniskirts pretty much whenever she moves. Especially in the latter season.
- Tori from Power Rangers Ninja Storm goes the extra step of wearing shorts while morphed. However, in comparison to other female Rangers with contrasting leggings in the franchise, it actually gives the allusion of a Panty Shot rather than actual modesty shorts.
- While Super Sentai typically loves the Magic Skirt trope, there are some exceptions.
- Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger: Umeko and Jasmine even went as far as to wear shorts under a Qipao.
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: Ahim, being a Pretty Princess Powerhouse, wears shorts that match her dress.
- The note for Tori from Power Rangers Ninja Storm applies to her counterpart Nanami in Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger. It's not apparent as often as in Ninja Storm, but the Modesty Short/Panty Shot was definitely brought over from Japan.
- Ninja Sentai Kakuranger has a rare male example in Sasuke, whose jean shorts are so tattered that they look almost like a very risque skirt, and so he wears bike shorts underneath.
- Austin & Ally has Ally wearing short dresses in almost every episode, and she usually has black shorts on if she does something that flips her dress up. It's usually just a shadow, since it IS a Disney show.
- Shake It Up! had Rocky wear this at least once. She wore biker shorts during a spotlight dance, and for good reason since the skirt spent almost as much time up as it did down.
- That's Just Me had an episode where Elizabeth wears a jumper-dress to gym class because it's the last week of school and they won't be doing anything. Her mom doubts this, however, and makes her put gym shorts on under it.
- In the first episode of the sixth season, ''Do I HAVE to Go to High School?!', she's been told her class will be active, so instead of dressing nicely but casually, she shows up in a super fancy 50's style outfit with shorts under the skirt. The activity was later revealed to be dancing, so she never needed shorts, but her feet hurt from her diamond flipflops.
- Friends : When Rachel is trying to impress a guy, she puts on her old high school cheerleader uniform. When she turns a cartwheel, we see she's wearing shorts.
- The "Caramella Girls" are shown wearing compression shorts under their short skirts while they're dancing the Caramelldansen.
- Kpop idols wear safety shorts under their skirts and dress and be seen in music videos while dancing and twirling like in f(x)'s "Electric Shock" and "Rum Pum Pum Pum" as well as Girls' Generation's "Visual Dream".
- These kind of shorts were Macaela Mercedes's backup when she was placed in an evening gown match, in case she lost(she did at least once to The Diva).
- Daizee Haze's most common ring gear basically is modesty shorts with a really tiny skirt. Ditto her protege Veda Scott.
- Common attire in Irish Whip Wrestling and especially necessary for Tara Doyle, whose skirts have sometimes detached under the strain of her intense technical mat work.
- Persona 4: Chie wears compression shorts under her skirt, perfectly justificable because she is a Kick Chick.
- Lightning in Final Fantasy XIII and Serah Farron in Final Fantasy XIII-2 both wear black bike shorts under their miniskirts.
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth with Kay Faraday — official artwork shows that she is wearing a pair of shorts under her skirt.
- Bloomers are prevalent in Touhou fanart due to the Lolita-style outfits and highly-acrobatic depiction of the game's Bullet Hell fighting. Also canonical for at least some of the characters in the spin-off fighting games.
- Street Fighter
- Sakura Kasugano wears her gym shorts underneath her uniform. Though given how short they are, the effect is mostly lost on most western gamers.
- Street Fighter Alpha 3: Karin Kanzuki wears a red schoolgirl outfit over her biker shorts.
- Super Street Fighter IV: Ibuki and Makoto's alternate outfits are their school uniforms, with bike shorts under their skirts. For Street Fighter V, Ibuki's default outfit is more like Sakura's in that she's wearing dark gym shorts, not biking shorts, which show off more of her upper thigh.
- Aika from Skies of Arcadia wears black shorts under her mini.
- Ling Xiaoyu◊ from Tekken commonly wears a qipao with shorts underneath; if not for these, she'd be bare all the way from the hips downward. And for extra modesty points, when wearing her bonus schoolgirl uniform in Tekken 3, one of her victory poses note is disabled to prevent her from blatantly flashing her panties.
- In a male example, classic depictions of Castlevania's Simon Belmont had him wearing small shorts under the "skirt" plates of his armor.
- Kid Icarus' Pit's redesign used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising features black shorts under his toga (smart move, with all the flying around he does).
- Super Smash Bros.:
- After fighting with her bare legs under her dress in Melee, Zelda was given a set of leggings under it from Brawl onwards.
- Peach wears large puffy bloomers under her dress in Melee and Brawl. In the fourth game, this was changed to a black void past her lower legs.
- Palutena wears them too. In version 1.0.6 of the Japanese version, they got even more modest.
- The Legend of Zelda:
- Most of Link's incarnations have given him either a set of green shorts or, more commonly after the release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a set of tights under his tunic.
- In Hyrule Warriors, where Zelda takes the role of a fighter, she dons modesty shorts. A smart choice, given that her outfit is open in the front, kind of like a Showgirl Skirt.
- Linkle, Link's Distaff Counterpart from Hyrule Warriors, wears shorts underneath her skirt.
- Almost all of the Cartoon Doll Emporoium dress-up dolls, since they're made for kids, will have shorts when you strip them instead of normal panties, although while a few games have normal panties, they are usually black. The Dress Up Dream dolls, which usually share ties with CDE, do this same thing.
- Unless they are wearing a full-body costume, female Miis in Mario Tennis Open wear shorts under their skirts.
- Played with by Kick Chick Serina Leaf of Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars, as her skirt is so frilly on the underside that it's impossible to see above her knees. Illustrated perfectly in her official art, which is an upskirt shot.
- ARMS has the singing Ribbon Girl, who wears compression shorts under her skirt.
- The playable Inklings always keep the same shorts on regardless of what outfit they're wearing, making them work like this for outfits with skirts such as the female variations of the school uniform and the Squid Girl tunic.
- Marie of the Squid Sisters wears a pair of black shorts under her dress and over her leggings.
- Splatoon 2 allows players to customize Inklings' pants, one of the options for girls is a miniskirt over the usual bike shorts.
- Tales of Xillia's Leia has a school uniform DLC outfit that leaves her with a short, plaid miniskirt. It's difficult to see, but if she's wearing it during her introduction scene, the player can see that she's wearing a pair of black shorts underneath.
- In The Wonderful 101, minor members Wonder-Tennis and Wonder-Cheerleader both wear black shorts under the skirt-portions of their CENTINEL suits, with the latter having tights on as well. In Wonder-Cheerleader's case, her "pose"note has her giving a high kick facing the screen that would have completely exposed her if not for the shorts. Both members still lose the shorts along with their suits when knocked out, as all members of the team get knocked out of their suits.
- Ajna of Indivisible has a skirt that she can hike up to allow her to move easier and black shorts under it.
- Elise from Fire Emblem Fates wears black short shorts under her hoop miniskirt. This also makes sense, considering she rides a horse into battle.
- In the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games, all skirts have either biker shorts or tights underneath them. There's also a few cases of Modesty Bras: Tops that expose male characters' bare chests (like Beerus' clothing or Gogeta's vest) can be worn by females, in which case they wear the default tube-top bra underneath it.
- When D.Va in Overwatch got a skin that has a proper skirt (essentially a Korean Hanbok, albeit much shorter than usual) in the Lunar New Year event, she had a pair of white biker shorts added underneath.
- Bridget from Guilty Gear wears these, though he still holds down his skirt after jumping and in one of his winning poses one of his yoyos accidentally gets caught in the dress and shows the shorts are rather form-fitting around his buttocks, much to his chagrin. Oh, and even though it's common knowledge by now, it bears repeating: despite appearances, Bridget is actually a boy.
- God Eater series: A few mini shorts underneath skirt available for female player character as a clothing option.
- In Rusty and Co., Madeline is sensibly wearing (anachronistic) biker shorts under her leather skirt in her first appearance. (In the second, she's wearing winter clothes, making the matter moot.)
- A Dumbing of Age story has Joyce go on a date with Joe, and wear a rather fetching yellow dress. After the date goes south, Joyce goes home and changes, revealing that she had pajama shorts underneath the whole time.
- According to Word of God in the commentary of this El Goonish Shive strip, Elliot's Cheerleadra form wears these. This was mentioned due to reader response to the previous comic where it very much looked like Mr. Tensaided got a bit of an eyeful as Elliot flew away.
- In Worm, Glory Girl's superhero costume (a white dress with cape, boots, and tiara) includes a pair of these.
- Called "activity shorts" by Cat Davis from Cat on the Prowl.
- On Recess, Upside-Down Girl wears shorts under her jumper to avoid any panty shots when she's hanging from the monkey bars.
- Subverted on King of the Hill. Hank sees Luanne wearing an oversized T-shirt and apparently nothing else. When he asks her to Please Put Some Clothes On, she raises her arms to reveal "I'm wearing shorts." Hank is disturbed by just how scanty the shorts are.
Hank: Six A.M. and already the boy ain't right.
- Another subversion occurs moments later, when Bobby enters the kitchen wearing an oversized shirt of his own. Without lifting its hem, he removes the underwear he has on underneath it and puts on another pair fresh from the laundry, eliciting the following response:
- The Winx in Winx Club wear shorts under their skirts (most often seen with Bloom and Flora), averting a few panty shots in the series.
- Twilight Sparkle, in her ballerina form, in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "A Royal Problem". Though it isn't really necessary for the ponies to wear anything under their skirts, seeing as how they usually wear nothing at all.
- The bunny twins from Kaeloo wear black shorts under their skirts.
- The dread gym knickers. Old-fashioned (still current into this millennium in some private schools) British school uniforms kept girls in short, pleated skirts for sports. For modesty, there were matching bloomers which you wore over your normal cotton knickers, in the same heavy fabric as the skirts. They were as sweaty and abrasive as they sound, and you still ended up with muscle injuries from bare legs in freezing temperatures.
- Though many think of them today as comically outdated women's underwear, over-the-knee bloomers were actually thought of as modesty shorts when they were introduced; they were mainly used by women riding bicycles in long dresses.
- Skorts are skirts with integral shorts underneath. They are commonly worn by athletes in some professional sports (such as golf, tennis, hockey, etc.) and for school athletic kits.