Sweet chocolate love, it's SNSD!
Formed in 2007 by SM Entertainment, Girls' Generation, often abbreviated as SNSD (short for the romanization of their Korean name, So Nyeo Shi Dae
) is a popular Korean Girl Group
that started with nine members
. The group was initially seen, and to some extent still is seen up to today as something of a female answer
to label-mates Super Junior
, but has since gone on to become a unique and equally respected group in their own right.
Current members are leader Taeyeon, vocalists Sunny, Tiffany and youngest (a.k.a. "maknae") Seohyun and dancers Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sooyoung and Yoona. Main vocalist Jessica Jung left the group in September 2014.
SNSD began to achieve widespread fame and appeal in 2009 after the release of their first mini-album and its leading single, "Gee". "Gee" has since gone on to become the group's most memorable and most lauded song
, which was hailed as the "K-Pop Song of The Decade" by Melon (a Korean music website and award-giving body). "Gee" used to hold the distinction of being the longest-running #1 ranked song on Music Bank, one of Korea's most popular music chart shows, but it was eventually passed by the record-shattering hit "Gangnam Style"
After winning "Video of the Year" at the inaugural YouTube
Music Awards on November 4, 2013, they have been pushed into the international spotlight once again. Despite getting flack
from the fans of the other nominees, they have garnered attention and mostly praise from mainstream media. The win also made headlines in media outlets all over the world.
The girls are especially beloved among their fans due to their dorky natures when not performing and the copious amounts of Fanservice
that they dish out. They are also well known for the Les Yay
that the members often seem to be indulging in; the fans of course, enjoy all this and do a little indulging of their own in the form of the sheer amount of Slash Fic
they churn out featuring the girls.
On September 29, 2014, Jessica announced via her Weibo that she had been kicked out of the group
. SM Entertainment later released a statement confirming this
. You could almost hear the sounds of Sones' hearts around the world breaking in unison.
- Into the New World EP - 2007
- Girls' Generation - 2007
- Gee EP - 2009
- Genie (Tell Me Your Wish) EP - 2009
- Oh! - 2010
- Hoot! (009) - 2010
- The Boys - 2011 *featuring their first English language single
- Twinkle - 2012 *performed by TaeTiSeo (a subgroup consisting of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun - apparently, the first of several.)
- I Got A Boy - 2013
- Mr. Mr - 2014
Not to be confused with the ruling party of the Republika Srpska!note
Tropes related to SNSD:
open/close all folders
- Captain Obvious
- Seohyun. During an episode of Hello Baby, the girls were eating and wondered what they should do when they were finished. Seohyun immediately replied, "We should clean up." (What the other girls were actually talking about were the activities they were planning later in the day.) Afterwards, Yuri related an anecdote about a lady asking Seohyun who made their meals in the dormitory; Seohyun answered, "The rice cooker."
- Yoona had a good Captain Obvious moment in Hello Baby, when she and Jessica pranked the members by putting too much salt and vinegar on their food.
Tiffany: Why is [the food] so salty?
Sooyoung: What did you put in it?
- Catch Phrase
- "Heol! Daebak sagun!"note The girls tended to say this a lot during I Got a Boy promotions, especially during the video shoot.
- "Yah, Seohyun!"note The girls' somewhat affectionate way to call their maknae whenever they need something.
- Cat Smile - Sunny◊.
- The Cheerleader
- A non evil/bitchy example in Tiffany, who was a cheerleader when she was in middle school and when she was attending Korea's Kenta Kent Foreign School.
- Their costume concept in Oh!
- Chekhov's Gun - A certain◊ pic had been around the web for a while; it was rumored to be from a music video of a song that was supposed to be released instead of Gee in 2008. Fast-forward four years and it's revealed to be Dancing Queen, a Translated Cover Version of Duffy's "Mercy" which was officially released by SM Entertainment as a digital single and is also included in their fourth album. It was revealed that it couldn't be released back then due to copyright issues.
- Chronological Album Title - Their Japanese albums.
2. Girls' Generation II: Girls & Peace
- Cliff Hanger - In the end of the Oh! music video, the girls' house got wrecked by their evil counterparts. The second part of the story is in the Run Devil Run music video.
- Cloudcuckoolander - Jessica. Look at her in variety shows - she usually looks like she's spacing out, with a blank expression on her face. However, it's just that her facial expressions are... blank. There's more to her than meets the eye - and she wants to "melt" her "Ice Princess" image. As Yuri states it, "Jessica, you are a warm ice".
"People say that I look like I live without any worries. But that's just how I look on the outside. On the inside, I think a lot." - Jessica
- The Coats Are Off - In the "Paparazzi" music video and in Tiffany's "Umbrella" solo stage in the Into The New World tour.
- Combat Stilettos - Almost all of their choreography is done in high heels. The exceptions are "Oh!", "Into the New World" and "I Got A Boy" - this was mostly to show off their dance abilities.
- Comeback Tomorrow - When Yuri is in an argument with a person, she goes to her room and writes a list of comebacks for later use on a piece of paper. When the person she's arguing with has an unexpected answer, she excuses herself, goes back to her room, and writes more comebacks.
- Confession Cam - Implemented in Girls Go To School and Hello Baby, where it was frequented by Yoona and Yuri in the latter.
- Contagious Laughter - Taeyeon. Her ahjumma laugh is the butt of jokes, and whenever she laughs, everybody else ends up laughing along with her.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment - When Yuri first gets the "Worst Mom" title in Hello Baby, her punishment? A water-rafting ride.
- Costume Porn - The members of Girls' Generation wear some incredible themed outfits in many of their videos. Mod/60's style in the video for Hoot, or the Yellow and Black Taxi short skirts and vests in Mr Taxi, the bad girl outfits in Run Devil Run, the intro for The Boys, motorcycle gang clothing in Bad Girl, the Naval and Army style uniforms in Genie, etc. Girls' Generation have a lot to choose from in their wardrobe and are very detailed and distinctive, but still manage to tie into the overall theme.
- Could Say It But
“Usually, Tiffany is the funniest member. If Tiffany can do it the way she would with us, then her sense of humor would be funny on TV, but that’s not the case” - Sooyoung
- The Cutie - Sunny. Notable in that she's one of the elder members, and frequently gets called out on her overly cutesy behavior by the younger members. The other members are already immune to her "aegyo" (cuteness). She is known as the "fake maknae", since at a first glance people often mistake her as the youngest member of the group.
- However, it was revealed that she isn't overly cutesy in real life. Yuri reveals on Happy Together that “Normally, Sunny lacks expression on her face and has no strength but whenever a guy appears, all of a sudden expressions start to come out”. (See here from 4:52 onwards.)
- Dancing In The Street - In the "Love and Girls" music video.
- A Day in the Limelight - Basically the point of their show MTV Lifestyle, in which each member gets to be in the limelight for an episode. However, most of them brought along a companion / companions with them. Three of the members' (Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon) episodes featured the whole group, and Sooyoung and Taeyeon's were extended to 2 episodes.
- Dark-Skinned Blond - One of the latest to take on the role of blonde girl is Yuri, as of Mr.Taxi's release, though it's more of a dirty blonde for her. Compare pictures of her from a premiere performance of Hoot! last year (left) and those from the Hoot! performance (right).
- And now it's back to being Hyoyeon◊, who was blonde for Into The New World.
- Tiffany had blonde hair and tanned skin (courtesy of America) during her early days as a trainee in SM.
- Delayed Reaction - Jessica is usually a few seconds behind the rest when reacting to jokes.
- Design Student's Orgasm - The video for Visual Dreams.
- Surprisingly, Seohyun. Episode 64 of Running Man showed her competitive side, which was almost too extreme to the point where she would've eliminated her partner Yoo Jae-suk if given the opportunity.
- Tiffany definitely counts. She moved to Korea at age 15 (despite her father's protests) to pursue a career in the music industry, despite not knowing a single person in Korea or even speaking the language well. Being raised primarily in the U.S, Tiffany wasn't accustomed to the Korean traditions and was often called 'rude' by their standards, especially with no one to teach her any better, she had to learn through being insulted and ridiculed.
- All of SNSD counts. This video highlights how much they went through in order to get where they are now.
- Distaff Counterpart - Originally Girl's Generation was going to called "Super Girls", based on the name of their label mates Super Junior.
- Does Not Like Spam - Seohyun and burgers.
"Unnie, when you eat that stuff you will DIE!"
- Seohyun to Sunny, when the latter was seen eating a burger (Intimate Note)
- Do Not Call Me Paul
- Do Not Call Me Soonkyu, in Sunny's case. Let's just put it this way: She's not very fond of her real name.
- Do Not Call Me Miyoung for Tiffany. (Except that one time.◊) Rumor has it that the other members refer to her as "Miyoung" when her face is makeup-free, and after she puts on makeup, other members would call her "Tiffany".
- Double Entendre - The entirety of the song Reflection from their second Japanese album. If you thought the Gratuitous English lyrics weren't suggestive enough, search for the Japanese lyrics and you'll find out that the innuendos in there are anything but subtle.
- Dress Rehearsal Video
- Practically all of the videos to their album-leading singles feature cuts of the girls in full costume, performing the steps to their given song on a soundstage. On some singles, they digitally release videos composed solely of them performing the dance without any interruptions.
- They even play instruments (er, some of them) in their self-titled song.
- Embarrassing First Name: Korean names in their case - Sunny's Korean name is Lee Soon-Kyu and Tiffany's is Hwang Mi-Young. Neither of them like their Korean names very much something which is occasionally Played for Laughs by the other members.
- Epic Instrumental Opener - The music video for The Boys.
- Eurodance - The genre of Genie (Tell Me You Wish) according to the girls.
- Even the Girls Want Her - They have a sizable female fanbase, most of whom enjoy them for the same reasons the male fanbase does. The fandom on twitter and tumblr talk about "exploding ovaries" a lot. The girls themselves are well aware of it.◊
- Everyone Is Gay - Frequently seen in fanfiction, exacerbated by instances of Skinship Grope that the girls practice.
- Evil Counterpart - The Black SoShi, their dark-clad selves in the "Oh!" and "Run Devil Run" videos, are meant to be this. However it's mostly Felony Misdemeanor - for all the attention they drummed up, they do little more than trash the apartment belonging to the girls' cheerleader personas in Oh!, and whatever damage they do is fixed in a Fast-Forward Gag. See here.
- Expy - Hyoyeon, Jessica, Taeyeon, and Yoona were all been called "the next BoA" by netizens back when they were still trainees.
- Family Business - Jessica's younger sister Krystal is a part of the group f(x), which is also under SM Entertainment. In addition, Sunny's uncle is the founder of SM Entertainment.
- Fanservice - The costumes Hyoyeon wore during her appearances on Dancing with the Stars.
- Fan Disservice - The "Ugly Face-Off" on Horror Movie Factory. Comes with a side of Fanservice intermission numbers to help the viewers forget what they've just seen.
- Flanderization: In fanfics. There's a whole list of them here.
- Taeyeon: Is either a Memetic Molester that loves butts (especially Tiffany's) or depressed, angsty and emo that's forever mistaken for a middle schooler/kid.
- Tiffany's voice is so husky she sounds like she has a sore throat all the time.
- Jessica doesn't do anything but eat and sleep (except when cucumbers are around).
- All Sooyoung does is eat and tease Taeyeon & Sunny for being short.
- All Hyoyeon does is dance.
- Felony Misdemeanor - Seohyun was blacklisted in an airport because of tomatoes.
- Forgetful Jones - Tiffany, who was born in California, was asked by an emcee where she (Tiffany) was born. Tiffany replied with: "LA! (beat) Ah, San Francisco. (laughs) Sorry."
- In an interview, she was asked what her Korean name was and she said "Pani".note
- Freudian Slip
- Friendly Tickle Torture - To Tiffany, in an episode of Star Golden Bell.
- Friend to All Children - Taeyeon, who plays with children on airport queues.
- Friend to All Living Things - Taeyon is also one to all living things.note
- Funny Background Event - Judging from fan accounts, the girls do funny stuff when the cameras aren't focused on them during live events, such as concerts and the like.
- The "X-Files" (footage w/c were edited out) from Hello Baby has lots of funny background events.
- Keep your eyes peeled every time they're on camera. Sometimes, you wouldn't know where to look, since they goof off a lot, especially back in the day.
- Fun T-Shirt
- Fun with Foreign Languages: Jessica and Tiffany randomly breaking out in English in concerts and in TV shows.
- "I need my hairspray right now. N-O-W, now!" (Jessica)
- And their "Oh My God"s. It's a staple amongst their shows.
- Gamer Chick - Sunny is the most well-known example, the other members were once startled late at night because of the sounds in the game Sunny is playing in their dorm. Yoona and Taeyeonnote count as well.
- Game Show Appearance - Sunny, Yoona and Taeyeon in 1 vs. 100 (the Korean version). Also in their numerous guest appearances in the variety-slash-game show Star Golden Bell.
- Genki Girl - Tiffany during her early days as an SM trainee, described as a "very bubbly girl".
- Giant Poofy Sleeves - The video for "Kissing You" include a few relatively minor examples.
- Girl Group - One of the most popular Korean examples. Possibly the best example considering their worldwide popularity.
- Girliness Upgrade - Suuuure, they were already girly to begin with... but as time passes by, they show less of their adorkable sides in exchange for more ladylike behaviour, mainly because of the fact that SM does NOT like how the members (specifically, Sooyoung and Yuri) were acting like goofballs because they're supposed to be dainty teen idols. Doesn't mean their dorky sides have gone away completely, though.
- Gratuitous English
- Most of their album-leading singles have at least a couple of English words peppered here and there; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps the worst offender would have to be Genie, with the line "I'm Genie for your wish/dream/world" being repeated in the chorus. This was unfortunately still not corrected in the Japanese Translated Cover Version.
- Mostly averted with their single "The Boys". The Korean version has the typical English sprinkled in with the girls rapping. Then there's an English version. The English itself is quite impressive, when you look at the lines individually anyway. The song as whole doesn't actually make sense.
- Gravity Master / Artistic License – Physics - Parodied. Sooyoung said that they didn't use a 360° camera for the 10-second jump shot freeze frame◊ in the Genie music video; she stated that they actually jumped, floated, and stayed in the air for 10 seconds.
- Has Two Mommies - All nine members raised the baby (Kyungsan) in Hello Baby.
- Healing Factor - Doctors told Sooyoung that her bones "heal at the speed of light".
- Hood Ornament Hottie - There's a little of this going on in their album covers for Mr. Taxi◊/Run Devil Run◊.
- Hotter and Sexier
- Run Devil Run kicked off a change in style that saw the girls gradually become more and more like this in most of their succeeding releases, until it came to a head during...
- Their 1st Japan Arena Tour. Honorable mentions go to Yoona's "pole dancing" and Sooyoung's "lap dance" intro for her performance of "Sway" (and the performance itself), but the cake has to go to Taeyeon and Tiffany's absolutely Stripperiffic outfits in their performance of Lady Marmalade.
- And now, the release of their concept photos for the Mr. Taxi repackage album.
- Their Japanese single "Flower Power" contains their first overtly "sexual" line: "Do you wanna be my lover?" and has them wearing◊ leather-esque outfits that have been described as "bondage-influenced".
- Seohyun, who was usually a little more conservative than her fellow members even in sexier concepts, jumped headfirst into this territory with her teaser◊ pics◊ from their fourth album, I Got a Boy.
- I Can Still Fight
- Tiffany fell and injured her leg during a concert, but instead of immediately seeking medical help, she went on to perform. During Gee promotions, she injured her ankle but still performed on music shows with a cast on.
- Sunny was also seen with a knee brace while performing.
- I Know Your True Name
MC: *reading from fan questions* Sunny do you not like your given name? And could you show us your charms?
Sunny: *looking away and laughing*
MC: So I wonder what your real name is.
Sunny: *ignoring the question* I'll show you my charms.
MC: Why don't we ask the writer what her real name is?
Sunny: No! No! No! No!
Sooyoung: Hey Soonkyu!
Sunny: *while hitting Sooyoung* What's wrong with you?
- Initiation Ceremony - When Yuri first came to SM Ent. as a trainee, Jessica, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung (who were in cool "unnie" poses) ordered Yuri to take her shoes off before entering the studio. When she entered the studio, everyone else were wearing shoes. It was just a prank, but awkward turtle Yuri was scared of them for a year because of that. She also talked to the three girls in honorifics even though they were the same age (and Sooyoung was actually younger, although they are considered the same age in Korean age).
- Innocent Fanservice Girl - Sooyoung accidentally revealed in Come To Play that Jessica doesn't like wearing clothes immediately after showers.
- Image Macro / Memetic Mutation - The "Ms. Bitch Please" reaction face used in memes is none other than... Tiffany◊.
- Irony - Their self-titled song is actually a cover of another artist's song by the same name.
- It's a Small World After All - Jessica and Tiffany were born in the same hospital in San Francisco in 1989.
- ...and they would coincidentally end up attending and graduating from the same high school in Seoul, Korea Kent Foreign School, during their trainee days.
- It Tastes Like Feet - Yuri's "ma" drink.note The other members don't like it... at all. When Yuri became a part of a [bogus] SNSD leader election, she proclaimed that if she becomes the leader, she would make all the other members drink "ma" every morning. The other members refused with a look of disdain on their faces. (and yes, that includes Ms. Uptight Lifestyle Seohyun)
- Jack-of-All-Trades / Renaissance Woman
- Sooyoung can speak fluent Japanese, and she plays the guitar, piano, drums, and viola.
- Seohyun can speak fluent Chinese and English, and she plays the piano, guitar, and violin.
- Japanese Pop Music - The group broke into the J-Pop market sometime in 2010, starting with the Japanese covers of Genie and Gee. This was followed by double A-Side Mr. Taxi/Run Devil Run and their 2011 Self-Titled Album.
- Kaleidoscope Hair - Sunny. As stated before, she frequently changes her hair colors through dying her hair or wearing wigs. So far, her hair has been in 7 colors (and counting).
- Kids Rock - A part of the song "My Child" was sung by a children's choir. However, it was revealed that the members of said "children's choir" were SNSD themselves.
- Lame Comeback - Here is a gem from Hello Baby.
Sooyoung (to the baby): [If you don't come here], I'll pray that your hands and feet... will become... feet? Until it becomes the wooden floor? ...Dough?
- Language Barrier - During Horror Movie Factory.
Sunny & Taeyeon: What?
MC: Do you wanna play the game?
Taeyeon: Do you wanna... fried chicken? Huh?
- Legally Blonde: The Musical - Jessica starred in the first Korean version in 2009 as Elle Woods.
- Like Brother and Sister - SNSD is like this to label-mates Super Junior and SHINee.
- Little Miss Badass
- Tiffany explained on the now-defunct Korean TV Show Star Golden Bell how Yoona got the nickname "Power Yoona". It goes like this...
Host: Anyone want to share a story proving just how powerful Yoona is, really?
Tiffany: She said she had to carry a box when we were moving but she didn't just carry one. She carried all of the members' boxes. So we didn't even need to call a movers because Yoona did them all.
Host: (to Yoona) Can you carry beds too?
Yoona: Our room is shared among the 3 of us: Taeyeon, Sooyoung and myself. We didn't like how the beds were arranged before so we switched it around ourselves.
Host: So you moved the beds..?
Sooyoung: Yoona did it all by herself.
Host: Sooyoung just proved it.
Yoona: In the studio [where] we practiced, we moved a couch from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor...
- And here we have video footage of her breaking 6 PAIRS of chopsticks at once without breaking a sweat.
- Taeyeon : Literally a "little miss badass"◊.note
- Look Ma, I Am on TV! - Yuri on Entertainment Tonight News.
Soooyoung: I actually personally really like Girls' Generation.
MC: Is there someone you like in particular?
Sooyoung: Personally... They're all trying to show me their merits and charm... but Yuri who is right in front of me.
MC: Can someone be more tacky?
Yuri: (waves to the camera) Mom, I'm on TV!
- Lunch With The Manager - Sooyoung once had lunch with their manager because the other members won't go with her due to their busy schedules.
- Lyrical Cold Open - I Got A Boy.
- Lyrical Dissonance - I Got A Boy has a hip-hop / dance beat. The lyrics, however, was described by the fandom as a stereotypical ''oppa saranghae'' song. note
- Taeyeon has two of them: her dukongs◊note and the Gingerbread Man◊note . Both of these are commonly associated with Taeyeon, and both of these mascots have made cameos in Taeyeon's instagram.
- Tiffany has Totoro (they look the same. Observe!) and mushrooms.
- Meadow Run - Spoofed by Yuri and Jessica (on a beach) in the SNSD in Phuket (Making Film A) DVD. They do it properly on the 2nd attempt, though.
- Sunny in Invincible Youth.
- In their earlier shows such as Factory Girl, the girls were usually seen wearing glasses.
- Yoona in the Japanese Oh! PV.
- Their single, Chocolate Love, as seen being performed in the above photo, is a promotion for the LG Cyon Chocolate Phone. There's also their other CFs for water coolers, the LG Cookie and various other items.
- The single Visual Dreams was made in promotion of Intel.
- Metal Scream - Taeyeon's Devil's Cry. The most metal thing that came outta SNSD. Ever.
- Midnight Sun - Taeyeon starred as Kaoru in a 2010 musical adaptation.
- Multicolored Hair - Hyoyeon in I Got A Boy◊.
- Retraux - The music video for Dancing Queen, which was recorded in 2008 (but looked like it was straight outta 1978).
- Running Gag
- Sooyoung and Yoona's Ahn Youngmi impression.
- Taeyeon's attempt at a Maria Sharapova impression. note
- Seohyun's Park Hui Jin impression.
- Sooyoung and Seohyun's "Christina" impression.
- Jessica's hatred of cucumbers.
- An old one: Sooyoung's Home Shopping/Endorsement segments.
- The girls' persuading people into voting for them in Music Core.
Sooyoung: If we win, I will yell out my lover's name!
(later, during their winning speech...)
: Ayo... Sone
! Yeah yeah.
: If SNSD gets first place, Hyoyeon will run around twice while I'm on her back!
Tiffany: If we win, we will all do push-ups!Spoiler
- The Scream - Jessica's dolphin scream.
- Self-Titled Album - Girls' Generation. (duh)
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness / Antiquated Linguistics
- Seohyun. Her default way of speaking is the formal way, and she finds it hard to speak informally, even refusing to drop the honorifics when talking to her 8 unnies.
- SNSD's resident wordsmith, spokesperson, and megaphone Sooyoung fits this trope to a T when it comes to writing AND interviews. Her flair for words is definitely one, if not her most, renowned talents. She once sent fanmail to Kangfull, a webcomic artist. Kangfull was impressed by how mature Sooyoung sounded like, so he made a comic for her.
- Sexy Santa Dress - Sooyoung in her "Santa Baby" solo stage.
- She's Got Legs - All of them, especially the taller girls (Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun). Taeyeon and Sooyoung poked fun at this, posting pictures of the two of them posing◊ in the same chair. It's also◊ Sooyoung's◊ trademark◊.
- Shipper on Deck - When Seohyun was fake-married to Jung Yonghwa of CN Blue for a television show, the other eight girls actively shipped them, referring to Yonghwa as "Seohyun's husband" every chance they got, even in other unrelated shows.
- Shout-Out - During their Marchen Fantasy concert in December 2013, various members of the group paid tribute by performing various songs done by their Girl Group peers in the industry. Cue heaps of Fanservice from Sunny's performance of Ga-in's "Bloom" and Sooyoung's performance of Sunmi's "24 Hours".
- Shy Finger Twiddling - Yoona in the "Gee" music video.
- Signature Move
- Their "crab dance" from "Gee", "kick dance" from "Genie" and "arrow dance" from "Hoot".
- Sooyoung, who likes to use◊ her◊ hands◊.
- Jessica and Taeyeon will often grab at their microphones when singing sustained notes. This◊ signature move from her also deserves an honorable mention, and it's also done with a little◊ help◊ too.
- Yuri's kkab dance.
- Sunny and her◊... ah◊... chest◊.
- Silly Love Songs - "Kissing You", "Gee", "Oh"... most of the songs from their early days count.
- Sleepwalking - Taeyeon. On top of introducing herself and hosting radio when sleep talking, she once sleepwalked, went down the elevator, and went back up. She said she couldn’t remember a thing. (Her father said that he heard someone opening the door so he got up and found Taeyeon sleepwalking.)
- She once lost her phone while sleeping, and it was found inside the refrigerator the next day. And of course, she doesn't remember this either.
- Sleepy Head - Jessica. She once wished for "a medicine that would give me the effect of sleeping for ten hours from only sleeping for one [hour]". She was also once reported missing only to turns out that she was sleeping in a 'bathroom'.
- Spoiled Sweet - According to accounts from various people they've worked with, despite their immense popularity, all of the girls tend to be very humble and polite to anyone they meet, up to and including getting coffee and sandwiches for staff during their variety shows. Tiffany and Sooyoung are especially famous for going out of their way to be kind to others despite their immense fame.
- Spy Catsuit - Their costumes for Hoot! are themed after these.
- Stage Names - Tiffany for Stephanie Hwang (or Hwang Miyoung), Sunny for Lee Soonkyu, Seohyun for Seo Juhyun, and Jessica for Jung Sooyeon could count as well.
- Super OCD - Seohyun has exhibited this at times.
- Surprisingly Good Foreign Languages - SNSD is a multilingual group, and all of the girls know basic English, Japanese and Chinese. In particular:
- Surprisingly Good English - Jessica and Tiffany. Justified, as both of them were born and raised in California.
- Sooyoung is fluent in Japanese. Justified by the fact that she was once part of the Japanese idol duo Route θ.
- Hyoyeon studied Mandarin Chinese in Beijing, therefore, she could speak the language fluently. Yuri and Seohyun are fluent in Chinese as well.
- Sweater Girl - As seen in the original Korean version of Gee.
- Talking in Your Sleep - Taeyeon. She speaks so clearly when she sleeps, the other members thought that she was actually talking on the phone. The other members said that she (Taeyeon) introduces SNSD when she sleeps.
- Talky Bookends - See: Oh!, Run Devil Run, Time Machine.
- Teen Idol - All debuted as idols in their teens. However they want to shed their "idol" image and prefer to be called as "artists", something that is unlikely since they have little control in their music as opposed to a "true" artist.
- The Show Must Go On - Watch episode 9 of Factory Girl, in which they helped a girl confess her love to a guy.note They helped serenade the guy for the girl (with Seohyun playing the background music on the piano), and despite everything that arose during the event,note Seohyun continued to play (and finish) her piano piece because she was told to do so.
- Title Track - Gee, Genie, Oh!, Hoot, The Boys, Twinkle, I Got A Boy
- Trademark Favorite Food - Seohyun's goguma (sweet potatoes).
- Translated Cover Version
- Their forays into the J-Pop market were initially composed of these, with their first two singles being covers of Genie and Gee. Partially averted in Mr. Taxi/Run Devil Run, with Mr. Taxi being an original song. Further averted in their 2011 Self-Titled Album; of the 8 tracks on the album which weren't released as singles, only the Japanese version of Hoot! is a cover.
- Run Devil Run, in turn, was taken from a Ke$ha demo that didn't make the cut, leading to the tune and the rights to it being sold to SM Entertainment.
- Dutch singer Nathalie Makoma's I Just Wanna Dance is an English cover of Genie.
- Demi Lovato's record company also happened to buy the rights of the tune that became "Born To Be a Lady". Demi's version is called Mistake (which coincidentally is the same title of another SNSD song, written by Yuri).
- Several covers were included in the I Got A Boy album: Dancing Queen, a "cover" of Duffy's "Mercy" recorded in 2008, and Baby Maybe, which was originally a demo by British singer/songwriter Pixie Lott named What You Do. Yuri, Sooyoung, and Seohyun collaborated on the Korean lyrics for the latter. Next is Talk Talk, which was originally recorded in Korean in 2008 but was released after the Japanese cover version, Boomerang, was released on the girls' second Japanese album in 2012. Then there is I Got A Boy itself - a demo by Katy Tiz that didn't make the cut, like Ke$ha's Run Devil Run, but it was called "Shiner On You" and it was basically the opposite of I Got A Boy's "Oppa Saranghae" filled lyrics.
- True Companions - The OT9 Soshi-bond. Though it's been up for question ever since the controversy of Jessica's departure arose.
- Tuxedo and Martini - The look and feel they were going for in the music video for Hoot! though it was Siwon from Super Junior in the tux.
- Up to Eleven - Nine in this case. What label-mates Super Junior are doing for the Asian Boy Band, they're doing for the Asian Girl Group.
- Updated Re-release - Their agency and label are the masters at this.
- Valley Girl
- Van in Black - About 90% of the vans that the girls or any other celebrity that appears ride in is a black van.
- Ventriloquism - One of SNSD's talents is being able to talk without moving their mouths (once demonstrated in an episode of Happy Together). They do this when they instruct each other on what to do next. They're quite good at this. Well, except Yuri.
- Volleying Insults - Invoked in Intimate Note, which served as a Crowning Moment of Funny to the members.
- Who Wears Short Shorts? - SNSD wears short shorts. At least, since Gee came out, short shorts have been common in their costumes; of course, this is to show off their awesome legs.
- Tiffany caught some flack for having her shorts be too short.
- Seohyun wore short shorts for her promos for I Got A Boy.
- Wig, Dress, Accent / Master of Disguise - The girls own "scream" masks which they sometimes use as disguises whenever they go out and have some fun. Four of the membersnote once used the masks in an amusement park in Japan, and they disguised their voices by speaking in a manly voice and calling each other "John".
- Sunny once shared a story about going to an amusement park with Hyoyeon, Jessica and Tiffany during one of their breaks. The girls went to an amusement park wearing scarfs. There were still some people who noticed them, so the 4 girls decided to buy raccoon masks sold by the amusement park. The girls were able to enjoy their rides with raccoon masks on.
- But before going home, they wanted to ride a roller coaster. They waited in line for an hour, and in order to get on the ride, they had to take off their disguises. They did, and their candids leaked on the 'net the next day.
- Man of a Thousand Voices - Gender-inverted, a Fan Nickname given to Taeyeon during her tenure as a DJ on ChinChin Radio was "A Woman of 20,000 voices", due to the countless voice impressions she did.
- Zettai Ryouiki - As seen in their outfits for debut single Into The New World. They range from Grade C to B.
- Taeyeon and Tiffany are Grade B for their "Twinkle" video.
- Sooyoung is grade A for the second half of I Got A Boy.
지금은, 소녀시대! 앞으로도, 소녀시대! 영원히, 소녀시대!
Right now, it’s Girls Generation! Tomorrow, it’s Girls Generation! Forever, it’s Girls Generation!