Whoopee cushions are items that make a farting sound when someone sits or steps on them. Frequently used by pranksters.
Anime and Manga
- Kon uses one of these on Ichigo in Bleach. Ichigo responds by throwing him through a window.
Film Live Action
- Polaris Psyche becomes the victim of one placed by Jokey's "resurrected" father in the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Days Of Auld Lang Smurf".
- On Supernatural, Castiel sat on such a cushion once. "That wasn't me."
- In a 3rd Rock from the Sun episode where Dick was trying to understand humor, he sat Harry down in a chair with a whoopee cushion. Harry cluelessly responded to the farting noise by saying, "Excuse me," ruining the joke.
- Whoopee Cushions is a talking whoopee cushion whom Gonzo hires for the tribute show in The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Turns up in the "Cheap-Laughs" sketch.
- Mentioned in the sketch about Jean-Paul Sartre.
Mrs Conclusion: What was Jean-Paul like?
Mrs Premise: Well, you know, a bit moody. Yes, he didn't join in the fun much. Just sat there thinking. Still, Mr Rotter caught him a few times with the whoopee cushion.
- In the That '70s Show episode "Prank Day", Kelso uses one on Hyde. Hyde remarks: "A whoopee cushion? What are you, two? (presses the cushion, smiles) These things are great."
- One episode of The Golden Girls has Sophia decide to pull pranks all over the house after someone pranked her. She rigged a chair with a Whoopee Cushion that made a thundering noise, embarrassing Dorothy and Blanche when they sat on it (Blanche especially, after making comments about herself being "graceful and sophisticated"). To top it off, Sophia knew how not to set it off herself if she sat on it.
- On What's Happening!!, Roger did this to their teacher, Mrs. Collins. For good measure, he also put a bumper sticker reading "Don't Tailgate" on top of it, making it a double prank.
- On Are You Being Served? Mrs. Slocombe is greeted with one in her first day as "Mrs Slocombe, Senior Person." It came with a note:
"I'm sure you'll be a big noise in Grace Brothers. (Beat
) Signed, Mr. Lucas.
- A whoopee cushion can be found as a joke item in Terraria. It does nothing but produce funny noises.
- This is one of the pranks child and teen sims can play in the Generations expansion for The Sims 3.