Feed With Candy
Cut the Rope is an addictive physics-based puzzle video game
for the iOS, Android and DSiWare
The objective of each of the game's levels is to maneuver a piece of candy into the mouth of a cartoon monster, called Om Nom, and also to pick up up to three stars per level by touching them with the candy.
All you have to do is cut the rope to let the candy drop into Om Nom's mouth... at first. Later levels provide bubbles, automatically-appearing rope, sliding rope as well as hazards in the form of spikes
and electrical traps. Its direct sequel, Cut the Rope: Experiments
, builds on prior mechanics in the same vein, adding stuff like gravity manipulation and ropes attached to suction cups. A third game, Cut the Rope: Time Travel
, adds the challenge of feeding two Om Noms.
Despite sounding similar, this game is completely unrelated to You Have to Burn the Rope
, other than the fact that both games involve rope and breaking it.
Tropes used for this game:
- A Winner Is You: The ending is pretty much bare bones, showing Om Nom on top of a massive mountain of candy and the words "Thank You For Playing".
- Bandit Mook: The spiders, sort of. They will try to steal the candy once they reach the end of the rope they're on (which is attached to the candy). To prevent them from doing so, cut the rope they're on.
- Big Eater: Om Nom. The A Winner Is You ending shows him on top of a 10-metre high mound of candy.
- Cartoon Creature: What exactly is Om Nom supposed to be (other than a monster)?
- Casual Video Game
- Easter Egg: Try touching Om Nom and see what happens.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: You have to cut the rope.
- Excuse Plot: You have a monster, and he's hungry for candy.
- Evil Laugh: The spiders do one when they nab your candy.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The stars. Three of them are in each level, and the path to getting them is less than easy...
- There's also the pictures. You have to click on suspicious parts of the background to find them, and those are very subtle.
- Gravity Screw: Present in the Cosmic Box, and also a few levels in the Magic Box.
- Herr Doctor: The professor in Cut the Rope: Experiments.
- 100% Completion: Getting all the stars.
- Identical Ancestor: The various Om Noms from different eras in Cut the Rope: Time Travel.
- Meaningful Name: OmNomnomnomnomnomnom...
- Our Monsters Are Different: And this one's adorable and harmless...
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Om Nom, the little green monster. And if he fails to get his candy, he makes a little "aww..." sound along with a sad face. A ridiculously cute sad face.
- Up to Eleven in the web series Om Nom Stories which show him looking for candy in the real world.
- The first 11 episodes of Om Nom Stories feature Om Nom in the real world. Starting with episode 12, the episodes are fully animated. And we get to meet some of Om Nom's ancestors. D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
- Shown Their Work: In terms of physics, this game is very accurate- tension, gravity, momentum are all fully and well-implemented.
- Six Legged Spider: Unfortunately, the spiders do fail biology by having only six legs.
- Spikes Of Doom: Present in many, many levels. Don't let the candy touch these - it will crack, and Om Nom will be sad.
- Spin-Off: Zepto Lab, the creators of the game, made a series of short subjects called Om Nom Stories. As of this writing, 17 episodes, a pilot, and two "Behind the Scenes" reels have been posted. Here is the first episode.
- Springs Springs Everywhere: The Toy Box introduces bouncy platforms which the candy will bounce off from.
- Teleporters and Transporters: The Magic Box introduces the magician's hats, which act as transporters. The sweet retains its speed if it passes through one, allowing some interesting situations.
- Timed Mission: Several of them, especially those where the stars disappear after a short time.
- Also, if there's a spider involved, you have to get rid of it (by cutting the rope it's on) before it gets to the candy, otherwise, cue the spider grinning as it leaps off the screen with the candy, followed by Om Nom's sad face.
- Time Stands Still: On Cut the Rope: Time Travel there's a "freeze time" button in some levels.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Candy for Om Nom, and presumably the spiders who try to steal it.