God, I went out with a lot of nurses, didn't I? Kryten:
I don't believe those are authentic uniforms, sir. Note the astonishing brevity of those hemlines. I believe all those girls are impostors, pretending to belong to the medical profession for some nefarious purpose as yet unknown.
A sexy but impractical nurse outfit. It is far more revealing
than the loose-fitting scrubs nurses of either gender wear these days. It plays to the fetish for nurses. Most of the time these are costumes worn by women who aren't nurses, but sometimes they pop up on actual nurses in Fanservice
This page is not for actual sexy nurses themselves — for that, see Hospital Hottie
— or for the relationship between caregiver and patient — for that, see The Florence Nightingale Effect
of Sexy Whatever Outfit
Anime and Manga
- Misa wears a nurse's outfit as a disguise in Death Note. Of course, it's a cute one.
- Suzumiya Haruhi: Mikuru wears a nurse outfit in the Baseball Episode. It manages to stun the entire team.
- England adorns one of these in the April Fools' 2011 event of Axis Powers Hetalia. A male example, this was meant to be Played for Laughs...probably.
- In one episode of Nanaka 6/17, on the way to check in on her ill childhood friend/love interest, Nanaka encounters her fanboy friend, who convinces her to borrow a nurse's outfit from the local hospital. It does not have the intended effect, however.
- Of course, any effect that might've occurred was sorely hampered by the fact that, due to Laser-Guided Amnesia, said fanboy pal is unaware (but her childhood friend is) that 17-year-old Nanaka has the personality and mindset of a 6-year-old.
- The hentai anime Night Shift Nurses. It's an actual sub-genre, and you see the costumes often enough even in other hentai.
- Dominion Tank Police: Buaku and his sidekicks break into a hospital in order to destroy some sensitive information. They probably would have been less suspicious if Buaku weren't wearing an improvised arm cast large enough to hold an SMG, and if the two "paramedics" wheeling him in weren't dressed as Night Nurses.
- Possibly a bit of Fridge Brilliance on that one, too. The Puma Sisters were sexbots and strippers before becoming criminals. They could have simply grabbed the nurse outfits from their own wardrobe and were ditzy enough to assume that that was what nurses actually wore.
- In the Ranma ½ manga, female-Ranma dresses up as an actual nurse to convince a sickly (and presumably moribund) boy to take the medicine that would save his life. Unfortunately, it only kicks his already blatant fetishes into overdrive.
- GITS: Solid State Society. Aramaki's mentor Colonel Tonoda is bed-ridden and attended by half a dozen sexbots in backless outfits. Ironically he's too far gone even to notice them.
- Basically the entire character of Mayumi in Trapeze.
- Haruko wears one in the first two episodes of FLCL.
- In episode 7 of the Tenchi Muyo!! OAV, Washu wears a nurse's uniform to perform her... experiments on Tenchi. And then Mihoshi walks in the lab by accident...
- Erza from Fairy Tail wears one while trying to help out Wendy. The males definitely approve.
- In episode 16 of Bodacious Space Pirates one of the many Cosplay costumes shown is a Nurse's outfit.
- Happiness Charge Pretty Cure invokes a subversion via Transformation Trinket. The nurse outfits are quite modest due to Proper Tights with a Skirt, and they are practical in that The Heroines actually do become Hospital Hotties while wearing them.
- Subverted in one issue of The Ultimates. A sexily dressed nurse brings in breakfast to a hospital bed-ridden Tony Stark, except she's actually a model hired by Tony to brighten up the place.
- Boo Cat does this for Tarot in The Shadow Witch part 3. It helps that she happens to own a costume shop.
- And it is used to disturbing effect in Issue #53. (Note: Link is probably NSFW.)
Shockingly enough, these aren't the discarnate spirits of a bunch of strippers. They are, in fact, a group of nurses - which means that that's what Jim Balent thinks nurses look like.
- Subverted by the character Night Nurse in Marvel Comics- she wears a Florence Nightingale-type classic nurse outfit, and only serves to administer actual treatment (or at least, until Doctor Strange: The Oath when she hooked up with the Sorcerer Supreme.) Incidentally, she's also an MD, not a nurse, which makes one wonder if the getup isn't a form of Cosplay after all.
- As she explains it, "'Night Nurse' is just catchier than 'Night General Practitioner'."
- Empowered Volume 4 features, in a rare case of gender equality, improbably hot female and male nurses in equally skimpy outfits - mini-skirts for the gals, micro-shorts for the guys.
- In the Buffy Season 8 comic-book, Buffy is exploring her dreamscape and stumbles upon one of her own sexual fantasies, which consists of a nude Angel, a nude Spike and her wearing a nurse uniform◊. Artist George Jeanty said in on Q&A session of the website Slayalive that prints of this panel were extremely popular.
- The Evangelion fic The Visitor has Shinji getting out of an Angel battle blind. While no one is around, Rei comes and... comforts him on the hospital bed without revealing her identity. Possibly subverted as her monologue afterward implies that she had a hand in his condition in the first place.
- Night Nurse (1931), starring Barbara Stanwyck and Clark Gable, may have given birth to this trope. It features a surprising amount of Fanservice for its era.
- Appears in a porn film shown in The Bank Job.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off has the singing (among other things) telegram somebody sent that poor sick boy down the street. Sadly interrupted when the wrong Bueller answered the door.
I heard that you were feeling ill
Headache, fever and a chill
I came to help restore your pluck
Cause I'm the nurse who likes to - * slam
played straight subverted in The Dark Knight, except for fetish fuel value. The nurse uniform itself appears to be somewhat more old-fashioned than what actual nurses are shown to be wearing, and wouldn't be half bad modesty-wise, though still sexy, but um, it's kind of on the Joker.
- Seen in Joey's dream from A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. Justified in that it's a teenage boy's sexual fantasy ... at least, until Freddy takes possession of the dream-nurse.
- Just about every Carry On movie about the medical profession, starting with Carry On Nurse, featuring a night nurse who is overpowered, and stripped (down to her slip - it was 1959, after all) by the male ward patients.
- Elle Driver in Kill Bill wears one of these outfits when she goes to assassinate The Bride.
- Played with in Rory O Shea Was Here. Siobhan dresses as a nurse for a costume party but the costume is fairly modest, though she already has Michael eyeing her anyway.
- Mentioned in the Women Of The Otherworld novel Haunted. While they are planning how to infiltrate a hospital, Kristof tells his ex-girlfriend Eve that he needs to put her in a nurse's uniform — which turns out to be incredibly skimpy and tight. When Eve starts to change into scrubs, Kristof admits that he wants her to play a patient, and that the nurse's uniform was just self-indulgence and not related to their mission. He also reminds her of a time when he had a cold and she spent the entire weekend in his hotel room nursing him back to health, while wearing an appropriately revealing uniform.
- The World According To Garp has the hero's mother screw a catatonic soldier dying in the hospital because she wants a child but can't stand men.
- Worn on the cover and album art of blink-182's album Enema of the State by porn star Janine Lindemulder. This same nurse shows up on the cover to another of their albums (and if memory serves, some of their music videos as well) making it a recurring motif of sorts.
- Yoshiki Hayashi has played around with this - on both sides.
- One of the options for the Fulfil Your Fantasy battle royal at 2004's Taboo Tuesday PPV, along with School Girl and French Maid. The School Girls got the most votes. We do get to see the nurse (and maid) outfits in the video game Smackdown vs Raw 2006.
- Michelle McCool dressed up as a nurse for a 2006 Halloween battle royal.
- In Silent Hill 4: The Room, Eileen has a secret extremely Stripperific nurse outfit. Ironically in the Youtube video showing it, she herself is bloodied and bandaged up.
- In the original game, nurse Lisa wears red high heels and an outfit that shows more than most hospitals would allow.
- And of course, the Monster Nurses would be this, were it not for the fact that their heads are just large, bloated pustules, they're filthy and ragged, and their proportions are just off enough to be disturbing rather than enticing. In Silent Hill 2 they, like most monsters, represent James' sexual frustration, and are based off the fact that his wife apparently wore such outfits earlier in their marriage (and probably also the fact that, during her illness, James probably would have found himself noticing a lot of nurses).
- Elite Beat Agents - athlete Bill Mitchell's white blood cells are all pink-haired nurses. The leader even gets a nude scene (well, it's censored, but still).
- Anesthesia from Rumble Roses.
- Darkstalkers. Q-Bee under the effect of Demitri's Midnight Bliss.
- Saluted in the Persona 4 video game, where your Devil social link is a lascivious nurse at your evening part-time job on a hospital's janitorial staff... Only for it to turn out that most of the Social Link is spent witnessing her angst about her life and helping her out of it, like all other S-Links.
Although she will "admire your muscles" with the right responses early on.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum replaces Harley Quinn's traditional black and red jester catsuit with a blue and red corset, kinky thigh-high platform boots and an extremely abbreviated nurse outfit, in keeping with her role as the new warden's sidekick.
- League of Legends: Players can enjoy the "Nurse Akali" skin for a modest fee.
- Kingdom of Loathing has the Naughty Sorority Nurse, although since the only visual aid is a stick figure, we're kind of taking the game's word for it. (But since it's supposed to be an orc, maybe that's for the best...)
- Miss Cummings, the school nurse in Wasted Youth.
- Valentine◊ from Skullgirls.
- The waitresses at the restaurant Heart Attack Grill all dress in Stripperific nurse outfits. Subverted in that they are definitely not real nurses, although everything they serve you will likely put you in the hospital at some point.
- Augmented by the patron being dressed in a hospital gown before being seated.
- The "sexy nurse" is one variety of the "sexy [X]" Halloween costumes which are marketed toward women and apparently will be until the end of time.
- Contrast with actual nurses' scrubs which look like the baggy pajamas a woman wears after many years of marriage.
- But of course, there's some appeal to that outfit as well.
- Actual nurses tend to hate this trope, at least in part because they are often the target of unwanted sexual advances on a daily or near daily basis while working a highly stressful job.