We are one, we are EXO!
"We may be separated into two groups, but really, we are one big family."
EXO (Korean: 엑소) is a South Korean
-Chinese boy band
who debuted under SM Entertainment on April 8, 2012, after 23 teasers
. They are split into two sub-units, EXO-M and EXO-K, who promote in China and South Korea, respectively.
The group is composed of 10 members from South Korea and China. Namely, Xiumin
, and Sehun
. Former member Kris
filed a lawsuit to terminate his contract in early 2014. There was debate about the group disbanding for a while, but members have reassured their fans that they will continue on. Also, as of 10 October 2014, Member Lu Han
has decided to terminate his contract with SM Entertainment as well. There were rumors as far back as September 2014 which said that Lu Han would be leaving due to his health and because SM would make him work despite his health, so as sad as fans were that he decided to leave EXO they were not surprised.
The group's two albums, the 2012 debut EP Mama and the 2013 comeback studio album XOXO, were major commercial successes, selling over 1.5 million units in total worldwide. The group was also named the Best Korean/Japanese Act at the MTV EMA Awards.
- Xiumin - (March 26, 1990)
- Suho - (May 22, 1991)
- Lay - (October 7, 1991)
- Baekhyun - (May 6, 1992)
- Chen - (September 21, 1992)
- Chanyeol - (November 27, 1992)
- D.O - (January 12, 1993)
- Tao - (May 2, 1993)
- Kai - (January 14, 1994)
- Sehun - (April 12, 1994)
- Lu Han - (April 20, 1990)
- Kris - (November 6, 1990)
Studio Albums:Extended Plays:
- 2012 - MAMA
- 2013 - Miracles in December
- 2014 - Overdose
EXO provides examples of the following tropes:
open/close all folders
Band and Member Tropes
- Accidental Pervert - D.O walked in on Kai dancing in the shower.
- All Chinese People Know Kung-Fu - Averted with all the Chinese members except for Tao, who was trained in wushu starting from a young age.
- Animated Music Video - The introduction of their MAMA music video.
- Animal Motif
- The concept for Wolf.
- Tao is often compared to a panda because of his eyes.
- Chen is a camel.
- Lu Han is a deer. Bonus points because his name means "deer of the dawn" in Chinese.
- Lay is a unicorn.
- Annoying Laugh
- Baekhyun tends to sound like he's having an asthma attack.
- Back-to-Back Badasses - Shown here, about two and a half minutes in.
- Badass - Tao, aka a Wushu champion. Xiumin and Baekhyun also know martial arts.
- Badass Adorable - Tao (who is a Wushu champion), Xiumin (who practices Taekwondo and Kendo), Baekhyun (who practices Hapkido), and D.O (who utilizes jujitsu often). And they're all adorable.
- Badass Baritone - Chanyeol has quite a low voice, which compliments his rapping which is generally well-received and seen as awesome.
- Big Little Brother - Sehun is the youngest member yet is one of the tallest members. And he's still◊ growing!◊
- Bishōnen - All of the boys have a pretty face and are lean and attractive. Technically kkotminam, since they're Korean.
- Boy Band - One of the most popular examples in Korean Pop Music.
- Breakout Character
- Lu Han, who is by far the most popular member of the group. He was also voted as Asia's Most Handsome Man of 2013 and shows up often in Chinese newspapers.
- Xiumin is also "the trend" in Korea.
- But Not Too Foreign - Kris was raised in Canada and can speak fluent English.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys - And how! (See: Bishōnen.)
- Catholic Schoolgirls Rule - Gender-inverted examples.
- Embarrassing Nickname - Lu Han does not like the nickname "Marilyn Monroe."
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth - Chanyeol's teeth is known for being quite white and pretty.
- Even the Guys Want Him - D.O is the most popular member among men.
- Everyone Is Gay - Normally invoked in fanfiction where all the members want each other.
- Eye Scream - Baekhyun was hit with some fireworks after standing too close to the edge of a stage during a performance.
- Fangirl - Only two months after they debuted, they became the 2nd most popular tag on Tumblr. Not to mention the fanchants...
- Female Gaze - Certain fancams aren't, uh, shy with following members' certain body parts and only said body parts.
- Flanderization - Their fans are experts at this in their fanfiction.
- Forgetful Jones - Lay, who frequently enters and leaves their house because of this. He's also so forgetful that he forgot he was forgetful.
- Friend to All Children
"It seems as if there is a young boy living in the body of a young man. As soon as he came into the studio, he squealed while looking at the baby shoes and had fun while touching the baby clothes that were hung in the closet."
"The little kids clearly all really liked Lu Han, and kept talking to him. Lu Han would always stoop down to listen carefully, nod intently, and reply. Afterwards, as soon as the kids raised their heads, he would stoop, lean over and listen with a really gentle expression. Later, because it was easier to chat with the kids, he just crouched down and would keep one eye on the recording while constantly playing with the kids."
- This video of Kris playing with a little kid. Shows just how much of a softie he is.
- Gratuitous English - Shows up quite frequently, most noticeably in the beginning of MAMA.
- Groupie Brigade: Frighteningly taken Up to Eleven with fans in South Korea and China, so much that the members are often injured by the groping, wind up with scratches and cuts, etc.
- Guyliner - Baekhyun loves it.
- I Have Many Names - Kris, oh my God, Kris. His birth name is Li Jiaheng. He changed his name to Kevin Li when he was in Canada and while he was in SM Entertainment, he chose Kris as his stage name and currently his stage name while doing solo work in China is Wu Yi Fan or Kris Wu.
- The Illegible
- Kris and is questionable writing is the main offender.◊
- Sehun too. One time he was supposed to write "오세훈", and his writing... didn't look anything like it.
- Multicolored Hair - Sehun during the Wolf era◊ had his hair dyed all sorts of colours at once.
- Panda-ing to the Audience - Tao whose Animal Motif is a panda.
- The Perfectionist - When asked who was a perfectionist in EXO-M during an interview, Lay pointed at himself.
- Perpetual Frowner - Sehun tries to be this because he dislikes his smile.
- Personality Blood Types - Sehun has a thing for blood types.
- Performance Anxiety
- Chen has a phobia with public speaking, although he's managed to avert a lot of his initial fears.
- There are also dozens of interviews where Sehun barely speaks.
- D.O tends to stutter or mess up a lot of scripted lines, and generally keeps quiet unless prompted.
- It wasn't until EXO Showtime that Xiumin began to talk and stand out a bit more. He even said on EXO 90:2014 that unless he's spoken to, he'll rarely speak to people.
- Prolonged Prologue - After 23 teasers...
- Reality Show - They got their own show, conveniently named EXO's Showtime!
- Later, they had EXO 90:2014, alternately named "K-Pop Time Slip"
- Real Men Wear Pink - Kai likes the color pink and doing ballet... which makes him the butt of Chanyeols jokes.
- Teen Idol - Just about all debuted as idols in their teens.
- Terrible Artist - The less said about Kris, the better. Fans have also started sarcastically calling him Kriscasso.
- Title Track - MAMA.
- Trademark Favorite Food
- Bubble tea for Lu Han.
- When Kai wakes up in the morning, the first thing he does is order fried chicken.
- Trauma Conga Line: The Overdose era is seen as this by fans of EXO, with Kris and Tao falling ill, Chanyeol hurting his arm, Sehun injuring his hand, Kris filing a lawsuit to leave EXO, Kai collapsing from pain during a performance, Lu Han lashing out at stalkers and reports of Baekhyun and Taeyeon dating causing hate to spread like wildfire. THEN, to cap it off (hopefully), Lu Han filed a lawsuit as well, citing his health and the company's poor handling of the group's Chinese members among other reasons.
- Unicorn - Lay's Animal Motif.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Lay◊ dyed his hair blue once.
- Wholesome Crossdresser - Chanyeol◊ once dressed as a girl in what seems to be a crossdressing contest predebut.
- Cover Version
- Christmas Songs - "Miracles in December" contains Christmas themed music.
- Dubstep - Their music is very, very heavily influenced by the genre.
- Genre Roulette - EXO's music spans a rather wide variety of genres, ranging from standard teen pop and R&B to hip hop, baroque pop, harsh Electronic Music and the occasional ballad.
- Merchandise-Driven - EXO-K's song for the Samsung ATIV Smart PC.
- Metal Scream - MAMA in both versions:
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They managed to enter the scale with MAMA, which is a solid 6, and Wolf, which is a hard 6/borderline 7 due to its intense rhythms and dubstep-influenced sound. On average though, their music can range from a soft 2 to a solid 6, with their ballads more likely to ping at 1 or go off the low end of the scale.
- Mondegreen: Many heard the first line of EXO-M's "History" as "Listen, enjoy the mayo".
- Translated Cover Version - EXO-K and EXO-M sing in Korean and Mandarin, respectively. All three albums have two versions: Korean and Mandarin.