What it was, to be honest with you, was a campground. It was one of those modern ones with swimming pools and miniature golf and video games, the kind that's popular with people whose idea of getting close to nature is to turn the air conditioning in their recreational vehicles down to medium.Oh, look. It's Alice Sue spending her day in that very fancy (and pretty expensive looking) place wearing nice clothes and sipping on what looks like an espresso or a martini. She looks like she's living the life. But there's just one thing... Alice is spending the day with her friends camping in the woods; where everyone else is sleeping in regular tents, fishing at the lake and roasting marshmallows. This is usually done by the City Mouse or just about anyone who couldn't bear at the mere thought of, "roughing it." The things this person brings with them can range from televisions and refrigerators to even a whole house or mansion. Everyone else who sees this (especially if one of them has experience in living in the woods) will surely point out that that person is Comically Missing the Point. Obviously a comedy trope. Often coincides with Lots of Luggage (how else are they going to get all that stuff there?) and Horrible Camping Trip.
— Dave Barry, "Valuable Scam Offer"
open/close all folders
- An Australian TV spot for the lottery depicted a family going camping after a big win, in enormous tents with real beds, electricity, and running water, and having meals delivered by helicopter.
Films — Animation
- In A Goofy Movie, Goofy runs into Pete while camping. Pete is in an enormous RV with all the amenities, including a pool and a bowling alley.
Films — Live-Action
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys camp out for the Quidditch World Cup in a tent that's enchanted to be much Bigger on the Inside: it also contains a sitting room, bunks, and a kitchen with a stove. They use it again in Deathly Hallows, albeit with fewer creature comforts at hand.
- One of the girls in Nickelodeon's Sizzling Summer Camp Special brings with her a microwave, a home theater system, and even a collection of first lady commemorative plates.
- In one episode of Parks and Recreation, the Parks and Rec team go on a camping trip and Tom brings a luxurious tent complete with an absurd amount of accessories and electronics. When asked how he affords it all, he says he buys it from Sky Mall and then returns it the next day. He powers his electronics with the car battery, which quickly kills it and strands the group.
- In the Beverly Hills Teens episode "Roughing It", Troy takes Larke to camp in a secluded, untouched spot. Bianca wants to join them, but once she finds it's too much for her... Troy and Larke arrive only to find the whole gang along with several airdropped high-tech tents.
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Jimmy uses his inventions to make a luxury campsite (guided by a holographic butler) not only because he couldn't bear to enjoy any trip without those conveniences, but also because his father is bad at being a camp leader.
- In an episode of Garfield and Friends, while on a camping trip Garfield not only brings the television, but also the fridge, microwave and whole lot of other stuff....even an inflatable house to store it all in!
- In one episode of Hattytown Tales, Sancho recommends to the king to have a picnic. Unfortunately, he isn't quite clear with explaining what it means, so he finds the king in the forest, sitting behind a large table with dishes being served.
- Hey Arnold!: Arnold, Gerald, and Grandpa Phil go for a traditional camping experience, and end up down the road from Helga, Phoebe, and Big Bob, who use an RV so huge that it makes a campsite by running down trees. Arnold and especially Gerald are envious of the luxuries the other camp has, but Phil's survival advice comes in handy when both groups (minus Phil) go on a hike and all the electronic appliances Bob brought (and arrange the whole trip to test) malfunction.
- On the Mickey Mouse (2013) short "Roughin' It", Donald and Goofy go camping in an RV with all the amenities, while Mickey insists on camping the old-fashioned way. Things take a turn for the worse when Donald cranks up the power, causing the RV to go haywire.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Sleepless in Ponyville", Rarity bring a two-story tent on the sisterly camping trip with Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Applejack, Scootaloo, and Rainbow Dash. She even adorns the place with flowers in a fancy vase.
- Rarity is a bit better about this in "Campfire Tales", sleeping in an ordinary tent like the other ponies. Though she still packs three bags' worth of luggage and insists on decorating the campsite with paper lanterns.
- The Proud Family: Oscar takes his family out camping using a fairly state-of-the-art RV, but their rich neighbors, the Boulevardezes, use a massive collapsible mansion. When both groups try "real" camping in three groups (men, women, and kids), a Macho Disaster Expedition ensues.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: When Montana Max goes to the woods to hunt deer, he brings his entire mansion with him!