- They appear when the hero needs help.
- They are usually deceased and thus act as Spirit Advisors.
- They are usually related to the character, such as a parent, sibling or mentor.
- They have powers of their own and usually grant the hero new powers or restore lost powers.
- They provide advice or comfort to the hero.
- They may save the hero's life.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Queen Serenity from Sailor Moon fits this perfectly; She is the deceased mother of the titular hero, she restored all of the Sailor Senshi's memories of the past, and she grants Usagi/Serena new powers in the 2nd season.
Film - Animation
- Kubo And The Two Kings features Monkey, an monkey doll that was brought to life by Kubo's mother, who guides the titular character on his quest.
- Dobby tries to be this for Harry in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, but all his attempts to guide Harry involve injuring him or getting him expelled from school.
- Played for laughs in The Last Continent; Rincewind is periodically aided/annoyed by a divine being generally known as Scrappy, which can take multiple forms and interferes in his adventure in order to guide him to the fruition of his quest. Even though this is the last thing Rincewind wants.
- Gandalf of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit guides the heroes through their journeys with little direct interaction. As a Maiar, he's best left to leave the war to the Dwarves and Hobbits while he deals with the more demonic threats, like the Balrog.
- Cassiopea to Momo - she's a friend/familiar of the protagonist's Mentor and uses a thematically-appropriate power to guide her safely through the city full of baddies. She also cheers Momo up in her own snarky way.
- The owl Kaepora Gaebora in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and its sequel Majora's Mask shows up periodically to give background and direction, although he's so long-winded that players tend to skip his dialogue. To a lesser extent, there are statues (usually owl- or at least bird-shaped) throughout the Zelda games giving hints on difficult puzzles or bosses.