Good thing that skirt covers the most important parts.
This is a skirt that wraps only partly around a lady's waist, thus making a crescent instead of a full circle.
While a regular skirt is designed to cover up the legs, and slit and wrap skirts cover the legs unless the lady moves right, this kind of skirt doesn't really cover the legs (unless you look at it from the right angle). The point is actually to frame and showcase the legs
It should also be noted this trope could work with a simple dress or a Pimped-Out Dress
Florenz Zeigfeld is probably partially responsible for developing this style with his Zeigfeld Follies
showgirls "glorifying the American girl" from the late 19th C and early 20th C.
The key to telling if a skirt like this is to look at the waist.
The skirt has to wrap between 1/3 to 3/4 of the way around the waist to count. Anything less or more doesn't count (like Leia's slave girl outfit
Usually a Sub Trope
of Impractically Fancy Outfit
, and almost always a kind of Fanservice
Compare Bare Your Midriff
, She's Got Legs
Contrast All Encompassing Mantle
Anime and Manga
- In The Marriage Of Hercules And Xena comic, Xena is under a Hate Plague to kill Hercules (they faked a wedding to find out about a local curse on newlyweds), and is given a red leather outfit with a brown fur skirt.
- A cover◊ for Katy Keene showed her wearing Raygun Gothic outfits, the middle one having a green skirt.
- The "Ready In Red" outfit for She-Ra lets her wear her cape like this.
- The fairy familiar in Castlevania Symphony of the Night.
- Many outfits in Ragnarok Online. In fact, a lot of MMORPGs seem to have this for some class outfits for ladies.
- Everquest 2, while normally avoiding the women wear skimpy clothes cliche of MMORPGs, offers one of these skirts to female characters as a prestige item.
- All over the place in the designs for Dissidia: Final Fantasy — and they're all male, to boot: Warrior Of Light, The Emperor, Onion Knight, Squall Leonhart, Sephiroth, Kuja, and even Jecht. Most of them are at least wearing pants as well - unfortunately, that doesn't include Kuja.
- Final Fantasy X-2 has the Gunner Class/Job/Dresssphere which features this. It's also Yuna's default outfit.
- Vanille in Final Fantasy XIII wears a brown fur version. It's a hunting trophy.
- Maria Traydor of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time wears one of these, although the effect is closer to a Badass Longcoat.
- The RAcaseal class (android gunner girls) from Phantasy Star Online has one of these skirts, made from decoratively dangling metal plates. It's also cut in a way that combines this with Mini Dress Of Power.
- Most of the waist options for armor in Neverwinter Nights work out to these.
- Dawn Star in Jade Empire has a perfectly sensible shirt...and then her clothing below the waist consists of underwear and four evenly spaced wide ribbons that flutter behind her when she is running.
- Neo Metal Sonic wears one in Sonic Heroes, though it's probably meant to be a cape attached at the waist rather than the shoulders.
- Saika Magoichi of Sengoku Basara 3, who wears trousers underneath, so it's probably just for dramatic effect.
- Mesmers in Guild Wars are especially in love with this trope. Close to half of the female Mesmer armor sets consist of what would be an ankle-length, A-line dress or coat were it not cut to reveal a miniskirt beneath and show almost the entire leg. Elementalists and Necromancers also partake liberally of this trope (with Elementalist Elite Luxon armor◊ being particularly notable).
- Some of Cassandra's costumes in Soul Calibur have this.
- Milly of Baten Kaitos Origins.
- Judith of Tales Of Vesperia.
- The showgirl in Bloody Good Time.
- ReBoot: Hexadecimal trades her cape for one of these when she assumes her Sprite form in Season 4.
- Shows up in, of all places, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic when Pinkie Pie puts on a show for the Buffalo and the Appleloosan homesteaders in "Over a Barrel". The characters weren't too impressed with her cutesy song about sharing and understanding, but fan reaction to Pinkie's dance hall girl outfit was predictable.
- In Transformers, any female Transformer will have her kibble become this while in robot mode.
- Named for Vegas Showgirls, who often wear this skirt.
- This picture◊ of Marilyn Monroe. It's just not as obvious unless you can tear your eyes away from the Fur Bikini.
- Child pageants will even have this, among other questionable costumes.
- If anyone has ever seen Northmead High School perform at Rock Eisteddfod...
- At least 2/3 of the female performers/background-singers at 2010's Eurovision Song Contest wore these.