to frame and showcase the legs, while accentuating with the dramatic swoosh of a fine and lush skirt. It should also be noted this trope could work with a simple dress or even a Pimped-Out Dress. Florenz Zeigfeld is probably partially responsible for developing this style with his Zeigfeld Follies showgirls "glorifying the American girl" from the late 19th C and early 20th C. The key to telling if a skirt like this is to look at the waist. The skirt has to wrap between 1/3 to 3/4 of the way around the waist to count. Anything less or more doesn't count (like Leia's slave girl outfit). This can be done with Skirt over Slacks, as it's still showcasing the legs and the pants (although tights are preferred, but not necessary). Usually a Sub-Trope of Impractically Fancy Outfit, and almost always a kind of Fanservice. Compare Bare Your Midriff, She's Got Legs, Lady Legionnaire Wear. Contrast All-Encompassing Mantle.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ken Akamatsu really likes this, going by the number of crescent-shaped skirts he throws into the costumes of the girls in Mahou Sensei Negima!
- Alcyone in Magic Knight Rayearth wears a white skirt over her armor, paired with a white cape. Umi's fully powered outfit is a belted sleeveless coat that drapes like this.
- Signum's Barrier Jacket in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.
- Misty's magician's assistant outfit in Pokémon is based on Goldeen (a pokémon like a goldfish), and has the tails draping to form such a skirt◊.
- Mew Lettuce in Tokyo Mew Mew.
- Also Ringo, in the game.
- Glenda wore one in a fantasy sequence in Petite Princess Yucie. It was basically a red, frilly skirt over her normal outfit.
- Seen from time to time on Cardcaptor Sakura. Most notable is her costume from the second movie, the gown worn in a school play. The skirt balloons out around her and trails behind, and her exposed legs are accentuated with asymmetrical red ribbons, including a garter.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Magician Girl's little pink skirt is a bit like this.
- Hagall has one in Ah! My Goddess.
- The Princess of the Crystal, aka Himari's possessor, in Mawaru-Penguindrum has one of these on her Pimped-Out Dress. It's also the first part of it to go as she makes her speech Once an Episode.
- The Simple Yet Opulent dress Stella wears to the awards show in Interstella 5555 does go all the way around the waist, but the front is a lot shorter than the back, to invoke this trope.
- In The Marriage Of Hercules And Xena comic, Xena is under a Hate Plague to kill Hercules (they faked a wedding to find out about a local curse on newlyweds), and is given a red leather outfit with a brown fur skirt.
- A cover◊ for Katy Keene showed her wearing Raygun Gothic outfits, the middle one having a green skirt.
- In Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell, the eponymous heroines need to go undercover in Vegas, and Zatanna changes Canary's appearance so she can be the Lovely Assistant. The outfit includes a short black feather skirt with a matching feather boa.◊
Live Action TV
- Often worn in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows, including one Tyra Banks◊ wore that was trimmed with white fox.
- Centauri female court dress in Babylon 5.
- Kahlan's supposedly practical traveling clothes in Legend of the Seeker.
- Mission: Impossible: Casey wears one while posing a magician's assistant in "The Pawn".
- Masters of the Universe: The "Ready In Red" outfit for She-Ra lets her wear her cape like this.
- The fairy familiar in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
- Many outfits in Ragnarok Online. In fact, a lot of MMORPGs seem to have this for some class outfits for ladies.
- Everquest 2, while normally avoiding the women wear skimpy clothes cliche of MMORPGs, offers one of these skirts to female characters as a prestige item.
- All over the place in the designs for Dissidia: Final Fantasy — and they're all male, to boot: Warrior Of Light, The Emperor, Onion Knight, Squall Leonhart, Sephiroth, Kuja, and even Jecht. Most of them are at least wearing pants as well - unfortunately, that doesn't include Kuja.
- Final Fantasy X-2 has the Gunner Class/Job/Dresssphere which features this. It's also Yuna's default outfit.
- It also appears in Dissidia Duodecil Final Fantasy.
- Vanille in Final Fantasy XIII wears a brown fur version. It's a hunting trophy.
- Maria Traydor of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time wears one of these, although the effect is closer to a Badass Longcoat.
- The RAcaseal class (android gunner girls) from Phantasy Star Online has one of these skirts, made from decoratively dangling metal plates. It's also cut in a way that combines this with Mini Dress Of Power.
- Most of the waist options for armor in Neverwinter Nights work out to these.
- Dawn Star in Jade Empire has a perfectly sensible shirt...and then her clothing below the waist consists of underwear and four evenly spaced wide ribbons that flutter behind her when she is running.
- Neo Metal Sonic wears one in Sonic Heroes, though it's probably meant to be a cape attached at the waist rather than the shoulders.
- Saika Magoichi of Sengoku Basara 3, who wears trousers underneath, so it's probably just for dramatic effect.
- Mesmers in Guild Wars are especially in love with this trope. Close to half of the female Mesmer armor sets consist of what would be an ankle-length, A-line dress or coat were it not cut to reveal a miniskirt beneath and show almost the entire leg. Elementalists and Necromancers also partake liberally of this trope (with Elementalist Elite Luxon armor◊ being particularly notable).
- Some of Cassandra's costumes in Soul Calibur have this.
- Milly of Baten Kaitos Origins.
- Judith of Tales of Vesperia.
- The showgirl in Bloody Good Time wears a pink leotard with pink feathers as the skirt.
- The Last Story has this as the skirt part in Skirt over Slacks on some of the armor sets.
- Rosa in Death Smiles.
- Ruby from Omega Five.
- Eliza in Skullgirls.
- ReBoot: Hexadecimal trades her cape for one of these when she assumes her Sprite form in Season 4.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Shows up when Pinkie Pie puts on a show for the Buffalo and the Appleloosan homesteaders in "Over a Barrel". The characters weren't too impressed with her cutesy song about sharing and understanding, but fan reaction to Pinkie's dance hall girl outfit was predictable.
- Trixie Lulamoon wears one as part of her scenic outfit in My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks
- In Transformers, any female Transformer will have her kibble become this while in robot mode.
- Named for Vegas Showgirls, who often wear this skirt.
- This picture◊ of Marilyn Monroe. It's just not as obvious unless you can tear your eyes away from the Fur Bikini.
- Child pageants will even have this, among other questionable costumes.
- If anyone has ever seen Northmead High School perform at Rock Eisteddfod...
- At least 2/3 of the female performers/background-singers at 2010's Eurovision Song Contest wore these.