It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
So you'll do it? Daria:
Right after I change into my fur bikini. (Tom smiles at this) Quinn:
Daria! (Quinn storms out of the room) Tom:
Hmm, maybe you should make it easy. Give the poor kids a break. Daria:
I lied about the fur bikini. Tom:
A two piece
bikini, or some close variant, that is covered, trimmed, and/or lined with fur (either real or fake
), or even feathers
. Usually worn for Fanservice
It's an uncommon, but highly pleasing costume. And unless it's heavily adorned, it's a bit more usable than a typical Impractically Fancy Outfit
— at least for running around in warm conditions.
Could count if there is just fur trimming. In this case if the bikini is red, and the fur is white, it overlaps a little with Sexy Santa Dress
(or even some Happy Holidays Dresses
If the bikini is actually meant for swimming, either the way water acts on fur will be ignored, or the fur will somehow be waterproof.
Everyday wear for a Nubile Savage
. If you are a Jungle Princess
, this is your Ermine Cape
This trope even avoids a Double Standard
, as men can have Loin Cloths
, the favorite impractical outfit for northern barbarians across the realms of fantasy.
Sometimes the wearer also has a Feather Boa Constrictor
of Pretty in Mink
A Sister Trope
to Seashell Bra
, Going Fur a Swim
(when the bikini and fur are separate garments), Fur Is Clothing
(in which a Funny Animal
has removable fur, which might result in this trope).
Compare Bare Your Midriff
, An Ice Suit
, Sweater Girl
, Sexy Santa Dress
, Playboy Bunny
Contrast Happy Holidays Dress
, Stylish Protection Gear
open/close all folders
- There's a notable variant with the more risqué works involving Petting Zoo People — where their actual fur or hair grows in exactly this kind of shape to cover their naughty bits while exposing as much of everything else as possible.
- Felicia in Darkstalkers.
- See the pic for the Trope Co. — Cat Girl page (done by an artist named Naritaya, who later went pro with the Alice Soft ero-ren'ai game company and removed most of his art from the web).
Anime & Manga
- When Giselle of Mystic is trapped in an exotic jungle pocket dimension, she transforms her outfit to a purple fur bikini, despite being low on magic.
- Tara and Shakira from The Warlord. Although Tara later adopts other outfits, Shakira wears the same fur bikini for the entirety of the run.
- Shanna the She-Devil, a character from the Marvel Universe, wears one in all her incarnations, even in the X-Men series from the 1990s. It was almost as modest as Jean's outfit.
- Squirrel Girl wears one in the cover of Deadpool/GLI - Summer Fun Spectacular◊. However, it should be noted that the fur in question is fake.
- Zawadi from the 1950s Monster Hunters team in the Marvel Universe.
- Archie Comics features a healthy supply in the "Archie 1" comics, set in pre-historic times.
- Empowered as Schrodinger's Cat Girl (in an Imagine Spot).
- Sheena, Queen of the Jungle is one of the Trope Codifiers, if not the actually Trope Maker.
Films — Live-Action
- The Sky People by S.M Stirling. Teesa of the Cloud Mountain People, much to the appreciation of Earth explorers on Venus.
- In Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland, all the women are turning into wolves (for complicated reasons), and their fur tends to develop irregularly. One of them, November, thus has a fur bikini completely incidentally, although she seems to be unique amongst the named characters in this regard.
- Actress Terry Moore wore an ermine one-piece suit to a USO show in Korea. She was almost removed from the show, before the soldiers shouted that she should stay.
- Girl Genius
- (Barely) worn by a side-plot villain, the Weasel Queen.
- Suggested as appropriate attire for Zeetha, the warrior woman from a lost tribe (to her shock).
- Ménage à 3: Zii is obliged to wear what's basically a fur-trimmed bikini (plus Animal-Eared Headband) by Cosplay designer Jung, and discovers some specific advantages, here.
- In Tales of MU, Mackenzie wears a fur bikini as part of her female barbarian costume for a Halloween-esque party.
- Occasionally a character will be reduced to one of these in an old Looney Tunes or Tex Avery cartoon.
- Daffy Duck gets one made of feathers in Along Came Daffy.
- Happens to Jerry in the Tom and Jerry short Of Feline Bondage.
- As does Kitty Katswell in episode "Hot Dog" of Tuff Puppy.
- Diana from the animated Dungeons & Dragons was stuck with this outfit.
- Daria's title character once sarcastically claimed she would put one on (with her boyfriend suddenly perking up). Jane also wears one in one of her alter egos.
- Cousin Mel from Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer dances in a Disney Acid Sequence wearing one of these.
- When asked to provide something "fierce" for Aisha and Bloom to wear to a conference between the royalty of the planets of the Magical Dimension in a Season 5 episode of Winx Club, Stella conjures up a couple of these. She's more than a little disappointed when these outfits get vetoed by the other two.
- On The Simpsons, one clip of the Fanservice-filled intro to the Eye on Springfield show features a girl in a bear-skin bikini posing in front of the statue of the city's pioneer founder Jebediah Springfield.
- Lois Griffin on Family Guy, wore one when she starred in the porno film Quest For Fur.