"In case you couldn't tell, (Tina Armstrong's) an American, and Americans always wear the stars and stripes. In fact I'm wearing a very patriotic thong."A flag design on swimwear, or similar garment, apparently to make the outfit even sexier, or at least very distinctive. For some reason, the U.S. flag seems to be the most common, but it's not the only one. It often shows up in advertising, particularly if being worn by a Hood Ornament Hottie. Some people consider this disrespectful to these flags (and Brazil actually bans its flag on swimsuits note ), while other people don't seem to mind, as shown by the popularity of this kind of suit. If an anime or manga has a Foreign Fanservice girl from the United States, and there is a Beach Episode, expect said girl to wear this bikini. A Sub-Trope of Wearing a Flag on Your Head.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In the Midori Days manga, foreign exchange student Lucy wears American flag underwear.
- Monica Adenauer of the American team in Yakitate!! Japan wears an American flag-themed bikini while on the deserted island alongside in the finals.
- Elizabeth Dawn from Gamble Fish wears one as her normal outfit.
- A brief scene in Super Gals has Ran and Mami fight over a U.S. flag patterned bikini. Unsurprisingly, the bikini snapped into half due to their tug-of-war with it, and their boyfriends had to pay for the damage.
- Mito Ikumi often wears one in Shokugeki no Soma.
- Wonder Woman's standard costume.
- Katy Keene had a cover where Katy, Gloria, and Lucki had a set that made a flag when standing together.
- Stargirl from Justice Society of America has a variant—while she does bare her midriff, her costume is closer to a tank top and bicycle shorts rather than a bikini.
Films — Live-Action
- The Pretender has a scene, that combines◊ this with Going Fur a Swim in a fake ad.
- Lois Lane from Smallville wears one in a strip club.
Chloe: All I can say is... God bless America!
- Seen in the Hustle episode "And This Little Piggy Had Money" as part of a fantasy the mark has about what his life will be like when he accepts the high-paying job in California that Mickey's crew is offering him.
- In an episode of My Name Is Earl, Joy is trying to show that she's a good person to gain jury sympathy, so with some help from Darnell, she does a sexy photoshoot of herself in one of these (and her flag-painted Brat) to send to soldiers overseas, claiming that she's doing so out of pure-hearted Patriotic Fervor.
- Candi Suxx from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City wears nothing more than a American flag-themed bikini.
- Tina Armstrong's starting swimsuit in Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball is one of these.
- Christie's Sapphire suit is a one-piece Union Flag variant of this trope. Her amethyst suit also has a union flag motif but it's predominantly purple for some reason.
- In Rival Schools, the outfits of Tiffany Lords express a flag based motif.
- See the page image from Foreign Fanservice.
- In American Dad!, Obama wore a flag speedo.