Where the hero poses in front of (or next to) a prominently shown national flag.
Any sort of overly patriotic (or even generically heroic) speech will have the flag slowly descending into view behind the speaker and some music (usually the Dambusters
march, for some reason) slowly rising to match.
This use of the American flag can become Narm very
easily, especially outside the United States.
Largely a subtrope of Patriotic Fervor
. Compare Wearing a Flag on Your Head
Film - Animated
Film - Live Action
- Toy Story 2 has Buzz Lightyear give an inspiring speech as a waving flag appears in the background and "The Star-Spangled Banner" plays. This fades into the next scene, where Al is watching TV with the American flag on it. Averted in the international version, where the flag is substituted by a spinning globe, with a generic musical theme playing instead of the American anthem.
- A scene in Patton is the Trope Codifier, to the point where most modern examples are parodies of it.
- In Spider-Man 3, immediately before Spidey springs into action to save New York from Venom and Sandman, he takes a moment to stand impressively in front of a ridiculously large American flag lit by an unknown source of light in the middle of the night.
- Near the end of The Rocketeer, there's a scene where the character stands in front of an American flag and has a spotlight shine on him before a dramatic fiery takeoff. For better or for worse, he's about to go fight some Nazis.
- Small Soldiers has Chip Hazzard stroll in front of an American flag... or rather, a jigsaw puzzle of one, since the Commando Elite are all in a toy store at this point. The speech he gives is composed entirely of quotes from famous patriotic speeches.
- In the musical Chicago, Billy brings on Uncle Sam to drape an American flag behind Roxie during his Chewbacca Defense closing argument.
- Red vs. Blue has this happen when Sarge give a Rousing Speech to his comrades (and Grif), complete with anthem. Being RvB, this is quickly lampshaded.
Where did that flag come from? Grif:
Flag? Who gives a fuck about the flag? How about the guy who's singing?