The third adaptation of The Punisher
, released in 2008.
Ruthless vigilante-hero Frank Castle (Ray Stevenson), waging his one-man war on the world of organized crime, sets his sights on overeager mob boss Billy Russoti (Dominic West). After Russoti is left horribly disfigured by Castle (who accidentally kills an undercover FBI agent during his attempted hit), he sets out to get revenge on Castle under the alias of Jigsaw. With the "Punisher Task Force" hot on his trail and the FBI unable to take Jigsaw in, Frank must stand up to the formidable army that Jigsaw has recruited before more of the mobster's evil deeds go unpunished.
This film has the examples of:
- 10-Minute Retirement: Frank goes through one after learning that he killed a FBI mole.
- Big Applesauce: War Zone moves Frank back to New York, as Marvel probably caught on to the whole every hero in New York thing and decided to start expanding a bit, like they did with Iron Man.
- Bullying a Dragon: The orderly really should have been nicer to Loony Bin Jim...
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to the 2004 film, adding Bloodier and Gorier to boot.
- This film is easily one of the darkest Marvel films ever created, if not the darkest.
- Diagnosis From Dr. Badass: Loony Bin Jim, during his fight with Frank Castle in the toilet, begins to say what is wrong with Punisher during each blow:
Loony Bin Jim: Blood in the urine, an early indicator of kidney failure.
Loony Bin Jim: You should be seeing double right about now.
Loony Bin Jim: That would be a torn meniscus.
- Faux Affably Evil: Billy "Jigsaw" Russoti, though he does really seem to care for his brother.
- Guns Akimbo: Punisher uses both pistols all the time until he is out of ammo.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The first thing Loony Bin Jim does when he's busted out of the mental hospital is eat an orderly's kidneys.