Film / Prom Night (2008)
is a Slasher Movie
from the year 2008. It is an extremely loose remake
of the 1980 film with the same name
It is about an ex-teacher named Fenton, who is murderously obsessed with one of his students, played by Brittany Snow
. Managing to escape from the police, he's prepared and determined to get to her at any cost during her senior prom.
This film has the examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Fenton, albeit in a sinisterly understated way. In the Cold Open, he was shown yelling and threatening Donna's mother, but on the titular prom night, he calmly and systematically knocks off everyone who gets in his way, one by one. At one point, he even casually asks one of his victims "Why the rush?" as she's fleeing.
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted, very surprisingly. Out of the six main teens, the only two to survive are the Final Girl and the black guy. Even her Love Interest dies.
- Break the Cutie: Donna: first her family are murdered, then all her friends, and then her boyfriend.
- Developing Doomed Characters: Done here to keep them from all being mere Monster Munch. In particular, one of the boys is shown to be a bit dickish, but not at all enough to deserve being killed for it.
- Evil Teacher: Fenton. A sexual maniac and a brutal killer.
- Final Girl: Donna. Twice.
- Infant Immortality: Averted. Along with her parents getting killed, Donna's little brother got knifed as well (they even show his body).
- In-Name-Only: The only things this film has in common with the original is the main character's sibling dying in the prologue, a killer on the loose at prom and a convicted psycho escaping from prison.
- Jump Scare: There's a rather infamous example with a lamp.
- Knife Nut: Fenton's Weapon of Choice is a sharp knife.
- Karmic Death: Fenton.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Fenton hopes that with everyone out of Donna's life, she can finally accept him.
- No Ending: After the cops shoot Fenton, there's nothing but a flashback to the principal characters enjoying themselves at the prom for the credits. We get nothing showing what became of the survivors afterward, no final assessment of the police who handled (or mishandled) this case, nothing.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Done several times to the audience in a number of subversions of the Peek-a-Boo Corpse. We know (though the characters don't) about several of the killer's victims, and the film keeps leading us to expect one of the remaining cast to stumble across one of the corpses, only to have them not stumble across it when it was there just a minute ago.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Fenton is one slippery devil, not only managing to elude the police this way several times even though they're watching all the hotel's exits for him, but somehow also managing to "teleport" a couple of his victims' corpses away to conceal them from his other soon-to-be victims.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Fenton manages to avoid the police partially by shaving his beard. This was originally a Beard of Evil, but by no means an all-concealing one, and he only shaves it down to Perma-Stubble, not clean off.
- Police Are Useless: Kicked around a bit in this film. The head detective is actually shown mentally kicking himself at one point when he realizes that he let the killer walk right past him out the hotel's front door, right before the SWAT team tossed the place in his Paper-Thin Disguise of a uniform he stole from one of the employees he murdered. Sure, they do finally shoot Fenton dead, but by then, he's killed a lot of Donna's closest friends..
- He's also shown cursing his superiors for only now warning him (so he could warn everyone else) that Fenton escaped three days ago, and tells his sidekick he'd thought the overwhelming evidence they'd brought against the guy for murdering Donna's entire family would convince the jury to give him the death penalty, but the jury decided imprisonment in a maximum-security asylum for the criminally insane was a better idea... because what could possibly go wrong? Oh Wait!.
- Also, they know the escaped killer is obsessed with one single person and though they discreetly post some guys at the prom to keep an eye on her, they elect not to tell her they're watching out for her escaped assailant because it would... ruin her prom night? More competent police would have hustled her to a more secure location immediately, no matter how important the event.
- Serious Business: The prom for the town, apparently. There's a red carpet, people all holding signs congratulating the kids... In a bit of Artistic License, one teen's wealthy father is even indicated to have rented most of the hotel for this event. Hell, the police are even reluctant to interrupt it over an escaped serial killer obsessed with one of the attendees.
- The Sociopath: Fenton.
- Stalker with a Crush: The reason why Fenton's at the hotel is because he wants to be with Donna again.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Fenton pulls this on Donna a lot.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: As stated above, it's because of the jury not giving Fenton the punishment he deserved that we even have the plot in the first place.
- Would Hurt a Child: As mentioned above, among Fenton's many victims is Donna's little brother.