Video Game: Lester The Unlikely
Lester the Unlikely is a 1994 Cinematic Platform Game for the SNES. In the beginning, a typical teenage boy named Lester, who is "kind of geeky" and "kind of sleepy", recently got a new issue of the Super Duper Hero Squad comic book. He was reading it while walking on a pier, until he fell asleep next to a cargo crate lying beside a cargo ship. After he and the cargo were loaded onto the ship by a crane and cruised off, the ship got hijacked by pirates who scuttled it. Lester luckily found a life jacket and swam toward the nearest island while the cargo ship sank. Lester must find his way home by exploring the island for someone or something that can help him survive.
This game contains examples of:
- Action Survivor: Lester.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Once he defeats the Killer Gorilla and gets a Smooch of Victory, Lester's posture improves, he no longer flails his arms while running, and he loses his cowardice.
- Cinematic Platform Game
- Damsel in Distress
- Desert Island
- Face Your Fears: A major theme of the game. When Lester encounters an enemy for the first time, he runs from it (removing control from the player temporarily). He will then approach it cautiously. Once that particular type of enemy is defeated, Lester will not show any fear toward it.
- Fur Bikini: The cover shows a lady wearing one.
- Killer Gorilla: Lester fights one to save a native girl.
- Nintendo Hard: This game plays a lot like Prince of Persia, but with stiffer controls.
- This Loser Is You: Explicitly stated in the intro. Apparently the dev team was catering to geeky narcoleptics with this game.
- Character Development: Lester becomes a lot less of a loser as the game goes on.
- Unlikely Hero: Lester the Unlikely, obviously.