Manga: Himouto! Umaru-chan
The Hot Gamer Chick
Umaru Doma, age 16, is the perfect girl at school and around town; beautiful but with a kind heart, always gets high test scores, and while popular remains humble and is greatly admired by students and faculty alike, but...
Umaru at home is a barely functioning otaku
slacker who lives with her white-collar worker brother, Taihei, who more or less caters to her every whim due to being easily nagged into things
. Can Taihei fix his broken sister, who would rather eat junk food and play video games all night than go outside and play, or will his weak will allow her to become a complete shut-in?
An anime adaptation of the series has been announced.
Tropes found in the manga:
- Accent Relapse: Ebina will slip into her natural Akita dialect when excited or flustered, in her own mind if not out loud.
- The Ace: Umaru is the kindest and most beautiful girl in town, is fluent at everything she does, has perfect scores at school and is beloved by all. As her secret identity U.M.R she's one of the best gamers in Japan. She achieves all this virtually effortlessly.
- All Take and No Give: Umaru and Taihei's relationship is somewhere in the co-dependant area of the trope.
- All Work vs. All Play: Taihei and Umaru. Taihei spends nearly all his time working, taking care of Umaru or the house, while Umaru is a lazy bum.
- Aloof Big Brother: Inverted. Kirie is Bomber's aloof little sister. Bomber keeps trying to get closer to her, but Kirie is having none of it.
- Ambiguous Situation: Chapter 89 ends with what seems like Ebina about to confess her love to Taihei. Chapter 90 begins next morning with Taihei and Umaru and no real hint of what happened as a result other than Taihei preparing New Year's money for Ebina when in previous years he only did so for Umaru.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Umaru to Taihei.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite everything, Taihei and Umaru both get moments that show they care about each other.
- Beneath the Mask: Umaru looks to be mature, beautiful and sophisticated when outside her home. When home she's a lazy, annoying, selfish brat.
- Big Eater: Umaru and Ebina.
- Bland-Name Product: Several. Zonama for Amazon, Gapcom for Capcom, Batsune Migu for Hatsune Miku, Jumpiece for One Piece...
- Brilliant but Lazy: Umaru gets perfect grades and is the top in every class. But she spends most of her off time lazing around.
- But Not Too Foreign: Taihei's kouhai Alex, and Umaru's classmate Sylphin, are half-Caucasian. They are confirmed to be siblings in chapter 71.
- Butt Monkey: Bomber.
- Clark Kenting: When it looks like Kirie has discovered Umaru's double life, Umaru is able to fool her into thinking Umaru's home self is actually her little sister, Komaru.
- Umaru hides her identity for a game tournament by pulling on a domino mask and becoming U.M.R. It convinces Sylphin, who recruits U.M.R to help her beat Umaru.
- Kirie fools her own brother during a trip to an aquarium by wearing a straw hat.
- Closet Geek: Umaru is invested in maintaining her outside image.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Taihei having the affections of Ebina and Kanou.
- Curtains Match the Window: When Sylphin appears in full color (such as on tankōbon covers), she has blue hair and blue eyes.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Ebina trips quite a bit.
- Cuteness Proximity: Kirie when around Inside!Umaru A.K.A. Komaru.
- Umaru when it comes to stuffed cat dolls.
- Taihei around real cats.
- Declaration of Protection: While she has never actually said it out loud, Kirie has a good many Imagine Spots where she declares her intent to protect Umaru.
- Defeat Means Friendship: This is revealed to be Sylphin's reason for wanting to compete with Umaru so much, since a defeated rival becomes a new ally. Apparently, though, this only applies when she is the victor.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Kanou. She is incredibly kind to Taihei and has been after him since high school, but he of course doesn't even realize.
- Even the Girls Want Her: More than a few girls can be seen admiring Outside!Umaru along with the men. Then there's Kirie, who has a massive crush on Umaru.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Sylphin Tachibana has flower-shaped pupils. So does her brother Alex when excited.
- Extreme Doormat: Taihei can't say no to Umaru's whims and when he tries she'll nag and throw a tantrum until he concedes.
- Face of a Thug: Kirie. It really doesn't help she's shy around strangers.
- Friend to All Children: The shy Kirie has a much easier time with children then her peers and adults. This is why she befriends "Komaru" when she first meets her.
- The Gadfly: Umaru loves messing with Taihei
- Gag Boobs: Ebina. They were so big that when she moved to Tokyo, she noticed no one looked her in the eye because they were too busy looking at her breasts.
- Girlish Pigtails: Ebina.
- Hair Decorations: Sylphin wears a hairband.
- Hidden Depths: Kirie is actually very good at sports.
- Hikikomori: If not forced to Umaru would never leave her house.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Most chapter titles are in the format "Umaru and [X]".
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Ebina doesn't know Kirie considers her a rival for Umaru's affections. Vice versa, Ebina considers Kirie to be a rival for Taihei.
- In the Hood: Inside!Umaru almost always wears a hamster hood.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Umaru is manipulative, lazy and annoying. But she cares for her friends and truly cares for her brother.
- Last Name Basis: Ebina's first name, Nana, is only revealed on a splash page. Even Umaru, her best friend, refers to her as Ebina-chan.
- Lazy Bum: Umaru basically refuses to help around the apartment.
- Living a Double Life: Outside!Umaru, the perfect student, and Inside!Umaru, the lazy otaku.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Ebina casually says things once in a while that give this impression.
- Sylphin is revealed to be rich but seems to have no other friends beside U.M.R.(Umaru).
- Loves My Alter Ego: Umaru has this issue with her friends. Ebina, Kirie and Sylphin, as far as they know, are friends with Outside!Umaru, Komaru and U.M.R. respectively. They have either not met Umaru's real self (Ebina) or don't realize the person they know and Umaru are the same person (Kirie & Sylphin).
- Luminescent Blush: Seems to be Ebina's default facial expression, to the point that you can't tell if she's really nervous till steam starts coming out her head.
- Married to the Job: Taihei. He works overtime all the time and has little to no hobbies outside of cleaning after Umaru. On his one day off, he started zoning out because he had nothing to do.
- Oblivious to Love: Taihei doesn't notice Ebina's or Kanou's feelings for him and Umaru seems to have no idea that Kirie wants to be more than friends.
- Odd Friendship: Kirie became friends with both Outside!Umaru and Inside!Umaru, and both friendships are odd, in different ways.
- Sylphin, meanwhile, wants to beat Umaru with her new friend U.M.R's help.
- Once a Season: Starting with chapter 10, the opening panel of every tenth chapter is by another light novel/manga artist.
- Otaku: Umaru. She is totally obsessed with Anime and gaming merchandise, and hoards a pile of them at home.
- So is Alex. He and Umaru become good friends due to their love of anime.
- Promotion to Parent: With their parents absent, Taihei's taken the parental role.
- Shrinking Violet: Ebina and Kirie. Ebina, though, is mostly normal until Taihei is around.
- Umaru comes to the conclusion that this may apply to herself when she realizes that all of her friends approached her first.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Averted; while their classmates think there is animosity between Umaru and Sylphin, both are quick to deny there are any such feelings.
- Spirited Competitor: Sylphin loves competing against people and will enter any competition or game just to prove her skill, though she dislikes gambling games that rely on luck. She has singled out Umaru as her ultimate rival, but holds no actual hostility toward her, in fact it's a strange attempt at becoming friends.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Umaru looks a lot like her mother.
- Super-Deformed: The moment Umaru walks through the front door she becomes a chibi with a Cat Smile.
- Third-Person Person: Inside!Umaru.
- Tohoku Regional Accent: Ebina occasionally slips into this, having originally come from Akita.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While Umaru is still a Lazy Bum, the later chapters seem to tone down her jerkass tendencies compared to early ones. Most obvious in chapter 60, when Umaru picks a snack specifically for Taihei following his giving a presentation. The Jerkassery is still present, as she got the snack assuming he'd fail and would need a pick-me-up and was genuinely shocked when things went well. But the fact remains she got a present for her brother thinking he'd need it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Umaru is absolutely addicted to cola.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Taihei, Boomer and Kanou in high school always hung out together.
- Unknown Rival: Sylphin considers herself Umaru's rival. Umaru doesn't seem all that interested.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sylphin.