We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Manga: Himouto! Umaru-chan
The Hot Gamer Chick
Umaru Doma, age 16, is the perfect girl at school and around town; beautiful but with a kind heart, always gets high test scores, and while popular remains humble and is greatly admired by students and faculty alike, but...
Umaru at home is a barely functioning otaku
slacker who lives with her white-collar worker brother, Taihei, who more or less caters to her every whim due to being easily nagged into things
. Can Taihei fix his broken sister, who would rather eat junk food and play video games all night than go outside and play, or will his weak will allow her to become a complete shut-in?
Tropes found in the manga:
- The Ace: Umaru is the kindest and most beautiful girl in town, is fluent at everything she does, has perfect scores at school and is beloved by all. As her secret identity U.M.R she's one of the best gamers in Japan. She achieves all this virtually effortlessly.
- All Take and No Give: Umaru and Taihei's relationship is somewhere in the co-dependant area of the trope.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Umaru to Taihei.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite everything, Taihei and Umaru both get moments that show they care about each other.
- Big Eater: Umaru and Ebina.
- Bland-Name Product: Several. Zonama for Amazon, Gapcom for Capcom, Batsune Migu for Hatsune Miku, Jumpiece for One Piece...
- But Not Too Foreign: Taihei's kouhai Alex, and Umaru's classmate Sylphin, are half-Caucasian. They are confirmed to be siblings in chapter 71.
- Clark Kenting: When it looks like Kirie has discovered Umaru's double life, Umaru is able to fool her into thinking Umaru's home self is actually her little sister, Komaru.
- Umaru hides her identity for a game tournament by pulling on a domino mask and becoming U.M.R. It convinces Sylphin, who recruits U.M.R to help her beat Umaru.
- Closet Geek: Umaru is invested in maintaining her outside image.
- Cuteness Proximity: Kirie when around Inside!Umaru A.K.A. Komaru.
- Umaru when it comes to stuffed cat dolls.
- Declaration of Protection: While she has never actually said it outloud, Kirie has a good many Imagine Spots where she declares her intent to protect Umaru.
- Defeat Means Friendship: This is revealed to be Sylphin's reason for wanting to compete with Umaru so much, since a defeated rival becomes a new ally. Apparently, though, this only applies when she is the victor.
- Even the Girls Want Her: More than a few girls can be seen admiring Outside!Umaru along with the men. Then there's Kirie, who has a massive crush on Umaru.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Sylphin Tachibana has flower-shaped pupils. So does her brother, Alex.
- Extreme Doormat: Taihei can't say no to Umaru's whims and when he tries she'll nag and throw a tantrum until he concedes.
- Face of a Thug: Kirie. It really doesn't help she's shy around strangers.
- Girlish Pigtails: Ebina.
- Hidden Depths: Kirie is actually very good at sports.
- Hikikomori: If not forced to Umaru would never leave her house.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Most chapter titles are in the format "Umaru and [X]".
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Ebina doesn't know Kirie considers her a rival for Umaru's affections. Vice versa, Ebina considers Kirie to be a rival for Taihei.
- In the Hood: Inside!Umaru almost always wears a hamster hood.
- Last Name Basis: Ebina's first name, Nana, is only revealed on a splash page. Even Umaru, her best friend, refers to her as Ebina-chan.
- Lazy Bum: Umaru basically refuses to help around the apartment.
- Living a Double Life: Outside!Umaru, the perfect student, and Inside!Umaru, the lazy otaku.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Ebina casually says things once in a while that give this impression.
- Luminescent Blush: Seems to be Ebina's default facial expression, to the point that you can't tell if she's really nervous till steam starts coming out her head.
- Oblivious to Love: Taihei doesn't notice Ebina's feelings for him and Umaru seems to have no idea that Kirie wants to be more than friends.
- Odd Friendship: Kirie became friends with both Outside!Umaru and Inside!Umaru, and both friendships are odd, in different ways.
- Sylphin, meanwhile, wants to beat Umaru with her new friend U.M.R's help.
- Otaku: Umaru. She is totally obsessed with Anime and gaming merchandise, and hoards a pile of them at home.
- Promotion to Parent: With their parents absent, Taihei's taken the parental role.
- Shrinking Violet: Ebina and Kirie. Ebina, though, is mostly normal until Taihei is around.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Averted; while their classmates think there is animosity between Umaru and Sylphin, both are quick to deny there are any such feelings.
- Spirited Competitor: Sylphin loves competing against people and will enter any competition or game just to prove her skill, though she dislikes gambling games that rely on luck. She has singled out Umaru as her ultimate rival, but holds no actual hostility toward her, in fact it's a strange attempt at becoming friends.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Umaru looks a lot like her mother.
- Super-Deformed: The moment Umaru walks through the front door she becomes a chibi with a Cat Smile.
- Third-Person Person: Inside!Umaru.
- Tohoku Regional Accent: Ebina occasionally slips into this, having originally come from Akita.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Umaru is absolutely addicted to cola.
- Unknown Rival: Sylphin considers herself Umaru's rival. Umaru doesn't seem all that interested.