is about the story of Ann Uekusa from her adolescence to adulthood and of the friendships, relationships, and conflicts she encounters along the way.
When twelve year old Ann Uekusa moves from Tokyo to a rural country town named Shimane with her mother following her parents' divorce, Ann has trouble adjusting to her new home and life until she meets and befriends a boy named Daigo Kitamura, and two rich siblings named Fuji and Shika Tsukishima. Ann's happiness is brief, however, when her mother commits suicide, leaving Ann with an eternal emotional scar. That is when Daigo promises to always be with her, and the two slowly begin a slowly but surely blossoming romance that has many obstacles along the way...
Mangaka: Hinako Ashihara.
Has a Character Sheet
The manga provides the following examples:
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder
- Betty and Veronica: Ann (Betty) and Shika or Ayumu (Veronica).
- Daigo (Betty) and Fuji (Veronica).
- Broken Bird: Ann, whose mother's suicide causes her to become emotionally unstables at times. Shika, after she finds out she is the illegitimate child of the family, not Fuji.
- Disappeared Dad: Ann's father, who divorced Ann's mother because out his debts. He returns early into the story to take Ann back with him to Tokyo.
- Fuji's and Shika's mother had an affair a number of years ago, and the rumors go that the man is Fuji's biological father, who is revealed to be a sleaze bag and wants nothing to do with Fuji, leaving him sickened that he is related to such a man. It is only later revealed to be Shika's biological father and not Fuji's.
- First Guy Wins: Daigo.
- Held Back In School: When Fuji comes back to school he has to repeat the year.
- Hopeless Suitor: Fuji for Ann. Even when they become a couple, Fuji soon realizes that Ann will always love Daigo.
- Ayumu and Shika for Daigo.
- I Will Wait for You
- Knight in Shining Armor: Daigo wants to be this for Ann.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Fuji and Shika.
- Love Triangle: Ann, Daigo, and Fuji. Ann, Daigo, and Ayumu. Ann, Daigo, and Shika. Masahiro (Ann's father), Miwako (Ann's mother), and Kaede (Masahiro's old friend and eventual wife).
- Na´ve Everygirl: Ann.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Ann.
- Official Couple: Ann and Daigo.
- The Ojou: Shika.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Daigo (Red Oni) and Fuji (Blue Oni).
- The Runaway: Fuji.
- Second Love: Fuji, for Ann.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Fuji and Shika.
- Slice of Life
- Spoiled Sweet: Shika. Until she becomes a Broken Bird. She gets better after.
- Their First Time: Ann and Daigo, in an empty shack, shortly after Daigo punches the hell out of Fuji for kissing Ann. At first dealt with via Fade to Black, and confirmed shortly after.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ann and Shika. Ayumu and Ann.
- Troubled, but Cute: Fuji.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Fuji for Ann, Ayumu and Shika for Daigo.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Ann and Daigo.