Manga: Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa
Mako is more than just a girl.Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa
is a manga by Yui Toshiki.
Hiromi is very excited that her cousin Makoto is coming to stay with her and her mother. Hiromi remembers playing with Mako when they were little and is hoping “he” has grown into a handsome young man. However, when Makoto shows up as a very buxom young woman it starts of a chain of misunderstandings, secrets and cover-ups
This is an Ecchi
manga and features adult situations, explicit sex scenes, and nudity. Some of this is played up as fanservice, but there is a lot of sex tied into the plot as well.
The manga includes examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Mako-chan, which often leads to...
- Caught with Your Pants Down: As Hiromi frequently walks in on her.
- Covert Pervert: And then assertively proceeds her molestations of Mako, with contrived reasons like "if you let it build up and have a wet dream, you could...get YOURSELF pregnant! Seems I'll just gave to overcome myself and help you, for your own good," and flustered explanations that she couldn't possibly be doing it out of interests (all to appease her own confusion over her attraction, oblivious of how the constant rejection - in the most intimate of moments, no less - hurts Mako, and makes her already highly unusual view of sexuality progressively more skewed)
- Accidental Defloration: Hiromi's overly eager molestations in the bathroom lead to a one-in-a-million slip and fall on Hiromi's part. Hiromi, shocked, stops things from continuing naturally, to the disappointment of the bemused and mostly delighted Mako. This becomes a turning point in their relationship for both, though, unfortunately, of turning away when it comes to Hiromi. Mako, having discovered sex, develops an interest in Hiromi, but in the face of numerous signals of rejection, eventually goes off to seek it elsewhere.
- Action Girl: Mako can kick much butt when the need arises.
- All Men Are Perverts: Averted with Hisamatsu, but played straight with his friend Keigo...and Mako.
- Amazon Chaser: Keigo suddenly becomes interested in Mako after she beats up a group of muggers trying to steal her mobile telephone.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Runs on the standard Rule of Ecchi — nipples are fair game, genitals aren't drawn.
- Berserk Button: Don't call Mako-chan a monster.
- Bi the Way: Both Makoto and the resident Casanova. For Makoto it's inherent in her biology though she eventually settles on women. The latter is not all that choosy to begin with.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Mako-chan and her father.
- Boldly Coming: Inverted. Here, it is the aliens who initiate "first contact", and not because Mars Needs Women.
- Perhaps double subverted, as it is Kanako who actually initiates the affair when she gets bored and lonely as a guest on the alien ship.
- Book Ends: It starts and ends with Hiromi opening the door, expecting somebody else, and being surprised when Mako arrives. The panel layouts and character movements are the exact same as well.
- Buxom Is Better: Most of the guys, and a few of the girls are impressed with Mako-chan's ample chest, which is an F-cup. (Japanese sizing, but still big)
- Everybody Wants the Hermaphrodite: Mako herself seems to prefer girls: she has the thought that the only people who really accepted her as she was were girls. (The two guys she dates don't exactly leave her a great impression of men.)
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: After the reveal that "Aunt" Kanako is actually Makoto's mother it dawns on Hiromi that she and Makoto are actually stepsisters instead of cousins.
- Gainax Ending: More of a highly rushed ending, but it does resolve the plot in an almost lightning speed manner that is a little confusing to follow.
- The majority of the series is spent being a kind of Slice of Life Romantic Comedy revolving around how to keep the fact that Mako is a hermaphrodite a secret with a mysterious force in the background. The last few chapters kick in with it being revealed that Mako is actually an alien, people want her to hold for ransom so they can get alien technology from her father, she then goes back to her father's homeworld, seemingly disillusioned with Earth and gone for good... and suddenly appears, months later, on Hiromi's doorstep in the last few pages, sheepishly but nonchalantly stating she reconsidered just because she realizes that she absolutely must screw Hiromi properly, no matter what, and nothing else matters.
- Gag Penis: From her bouts of morning wood and states of arousal, it can be drawn that Makoto is ....well endowed for her age.Which serves to hurt her first relationship with a man when it's implied that she's actually bigger than him
- The Bus Came Back: With a quintessentially alien profession of love. In an oddly fitting, and to her, supremely romantic way.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When Makoto's alien powers kick in.
- Happily Adopted: Hiromi, though we don't find out until after she and Makoto engage in some borderline (and not-so-borderline) incestuous behavior.
- Hermaphrodite: Mako has both male and female genitalia.
- Human Mom, Non-human Mom/Dad: Mako and her parents.
- If It's You, It's Okay: aggressively lesbian Kanna's reaction to being deflowered by Mako, commencing an unexpectedly heterosexual-style affair, where Mako consistently boinks her lesbian lover using the boy parts and also straight with Keigo. Averted with Hisamatsu who says they're okay with it but when it came down to it... it didn't go as planned.
- On a meta level, Mako's hermaphroditism. Everyone who learns of it accepts it; none of them ever try to out her to the world at large. The ones who struggle most with the concept are, strangely (or perhaps tellingly?) Mako and Hiromi.
- Complete understanding and eager full mutual acceptance of each other as the curtain falls.
- Interspecies Romance: Makoto's parents. And to some extent, every romance involving their daughter is that.
- Lethal Chef: Eating all of Makoto's bentou is a very bad idea.
- Love Triangle - subverted: both Hiromi and Mako separately engage in meaningless sex with Hiromi's womanizing ex to push each other away at the worst possible moment and unwittingly hurt each other
- Love Triangle: played straight, though Mako has no clue that it's also serious for poor Kanna.
- Ambiguous Innocence / Kids Are Cruel: various bungled attempts to figure out their sexualities inflict pain generously all around, mostly obliviously so, especially coming from the utterly naive Mako (whose unique situation and alien views hardly help), but nearly as much so from Hiromi, whose meticulously constructed wall of denial makes her about as clueless
- Laser-Guided Amnesia deployed on Mako's decision to leave for her father's world makes it all better for everyone except Hiromi, who alone remembers everything. And is deeply traumatized by the experience, having finally started to figure out what was going on and how she felt about it all. until Mako, who surprisingly understood it all too - albeit in her own way - swaggers onto the final page to blatantly announce that she's back because she remembered she'd never got the chance to have sex with Hiromi. Hiromi's reaction implies she knows she's teasing.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Hiromi's adoptive mother is actually Mako's mother.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Both Makoto and Hiromi use the nurse's office (not with each other), and Mako also makes use of various other locations around the school with Kanna.
- Not Blood Siblings: After some accidental (and some not-so-accidental) incestuous behavior, Hiromi reminds Makoto that she is adopted — meaning they are not blood cousins. It also means that they are not blood sisters either when Hiromi's mom Kanako is revealed to be Makoto's mother, but stepsisters by way of adoption.
- Older Than They Look: Ayame looks like she's about twelve.
- Playing Doctor: Mako-chan and Hiromi as kids, leading to some amusing misconceptions.
- Porn with Plot: The balance shifts
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Kanna, Tamami and Hiromi, sort of.
- The Tease: Makoto teases the heck out of Hiromi early on as payback for Hiromi first trying to peep on her to discern her true gender and then acting uncomfortable when her suspicions are confirmed.
- Sister Sister Incest: Mako and Hiromi at the very end though they are Not Blood Siblings, they're stepsisters by adoption. The reveal is a bit... sudden though.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Mako catches Keigo cheating on Hiromi with one of the school's teachers...who also happens to be Kanna's older sister.
- Transsexual: Tomoki describes herself as "a girl trapped in a boy's body".
- Yuri Genre: A good part, if not most of the romances are between girls. Although Mako is a hermaphrodite, her female side is clearly predominant (except during sex)...there's a reason "she" uses 'boku'.