open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Arashi No Yoru Ni was always this, but became most obvious after the 2005 animated film, when both lead characters were cast with unmistakably male voices. It's about a wolf and a goat who become best friends however it's tinged with romantic subtext.
- Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa is a Romantic Comedy with an intersex protagonist.
- Wandering Son is a Slice of Life revolving around two transsexual children. While Takatsuki (a trans boy) doesn't have any major crushes but the trans girl protagonist has had quite a few crushes on girls (including Takatsuki himself though) and even gains a girlfriend half way through the manga.
- Aoi Hana, by the same author as Wandering Son has a predominantly straight cast overall, but the main characters are mostly lesbians.
- No. 6 is officially a dystopian Sci-Fi story, but the heavily romantic relationship between the two male leads is a major theme throughout. By the end of the story, they're the Official Couple.
- Ohana Holoholo is a part Slice of Life, part romance story revolving around two bisexual women who used to date and are now trying to live together platonically.
- Bokura no Hentai is a Otokonoko Genre deconstruction where the main characters are a straight trans girl, a straight crossdresser, and a gay crossdresser. Marika has feelings for both of the others main characters, Ryousuke eventually falls for Marika, and Parou likes both. There's also the Long-Haired Pretty Boy Satoshi who has feelings for Marika no matter her gender.
- Yuureitou is a mystery-murder manga about a NEET named Taichi who befriends a bishonen trans man named Tetsuo. There are a lot of gay and bisexual characters. Taichi and Tetsuo are the Official Couple.
- Faith and Buffy's Super-Happy-Ending-Bedtime-Story Story's Page on TtH.: This is an epic telling (three novel-length installments so far and counting) of the love affair between Buffy and Faith, in a version of the universe that is as close as possible to what we saw in the show itself. The story takes no shortcuts—the two girls start as enemies, and the transition to loving relationship is slow, and strewn with setbacks.
- In Vathara's Desert Fox, there is a lesbian couple consisting of a human and a gargoyle, both original characters. The human is a Native American woman and undercover DEA agent and they're both on the run from drug smugglers.
- Trowa and Quatre of Vathara's Upon a Fiery Steed, who come from another solar system instead of ours in this AU fusion where there's apparently so much acceptance that the word for "spouse" is "life partner."
- One of the main subplots in The Glaceon and the Shadow is a very cute romance between Larissa and Sofia, which triggers major character development for both of them.
Film — Gay
- All Over The Guy, a story about two friends who set up their gay friends up on a horrible first date.
- Beautiful Thing, a British Coming of Age and Coming-Out Story from 1996, set in a London Council Estate.
- Bedrooms and Hallways, a movie about a gay man who falls for a straight man who is the boyfriend of an ex-girlfriend of his, said girlfriend is still able seduce him.
- Bent, a movie about gay Jews in a concentration camp falling in love.
- Big Eden, a story about a middle aged gay man who returns home to take care of his father finding that he also has to deal with his old crush.
- The indie Blue Citrus Hearts, is summed up as the story of a boy who loves a boy.
- Brokeback Mountain is about a hidden romance between two cowboys that lasts several decades.
- Brotherhood, a story about a man who joins a neo nazi group later becoming close to a member he befriends. Not to be confused with the tv series about a mob, Brotherhood
- Christopher And His Kind, a Bio Pic of Christopher Isherwood starring Matt Smith.
- Contracorriente (Undertow) : A Peruvian movie from 2009 about a closeted fisherman and his secret affair with an artist.
- Eating Out, a series of sex comedies akin to American Pie.
- Fashion Victims, a story about a female clothes salesman whose son falls for his rival at work.
- For A Lost Solder, a story about a child and a soldier.
- From Beginning To End, a story about two brothers who love each other deeply since childhood.
- Get Real, another British Coming of Age and Coming-Out Story from 1998, set in a small-town suburb.
- Is It Just Me?, a cute love story about a gay man meeting a person online.
- Just A Question Of Love, a French movie about a young man who is struggling to come out to his family.
- Keep The Lights On, a Slice of Life featuring a relationship spanning just short of ten years.
- Kiss The Bride, a story about a man who goes to stop the wedding of the guy he once loved.
- Lan Yu, a story about an older man who falls in love with a student.
- Latter Days, involving a Mormon missionary and his relationship with the out-and-proud guy next door.
- Lilies, a story about how a man ended up a prison because he was convicted of killing the one he loved.
- The Love Of Siam, a story about two childhood friends who meet up again as teenagers.
- The Man I Love, a French movie about a swimming pool employee falling for a straight man.
- The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life Of Ethan Green, a story about a gay man who fails at his relationships.
- Morgan, a story about a recently disabled athlete who meets a guy while going out to buy more alcohol to keep himself drunk.
- Plata Quemada (Burnt Money), an Argentinian movie. Queer Romance WITH FUGITIVES!
- Private Romeo, a story about military academy students which somehow ends up becoming a story about Romeo and Juliet (but with boys).
- Trick, a story about a amateur song writer who spends his night with a go go dancer.
- The Trip, a 2002 romance movie set in the 1970s and 1980s.
- Twenty Four Nights, a story about a gay man who lives with his sister who writes a letter to Santa Claus.
- The War Boys, a story about 3 friends who often go out on the border to cause trouble.
- Weekend, a story about a gay man who ends up knowing more about his one night stand.
- Were the World Mine is about an entire town falling into a Love Spell that makes half the cast gay.
Film — Lesbian
- Aimée & Jaguar has a wife of a Nazi officer and a Jewish woman fall in love in 1940s Germany.
- But I'm a Cheerleader is about a teenage girl accused of being lesbian by her family and sent to a camp to "cure" her. As it turns out, she realizes she is lesbian when she falls for another girl at the camp.
- Carol, starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. Married mother Carol (Blanchett) has an affair with shop assistant Therese (Mara). This is in the USA in the 1950s, so matters do not proceed entirely to their advantage.
- Fucking Åmål, a Swedish movie about Agnes and Elin, two Schoolgirl Lesbians. Don't let the title disturb you, the movie is only about how Elin falls in love with Agnes, who is already secretly in love with Elin for a while.
- Imagine Me & You, which is about a woman who falls in love with the florist who helped with her wedding to a man.
- Mädchen in Uniform is a German film about a fourteen year old girl who goes to an all-girls boarding school and falls for her teacher. It's considered one of the earliest depictions of same-gender attraction in film.
- The protagonist of Out At The Wedding is a straight woman but there are two lesbian mains and a gay side character. The story is about a woman who pretends to be gay because she is afraid her parents will have a negative reaction towards her black boyfriend. Her recently married sister turns out to be lesbian but deeply closeted. She falls for her sister's beard and dumps her husband at the end.
Film — Queer/Other
- Boys Don't Cry is a biopic on transgender man Brandon Teena.
- Different for Girls: two best friends from high school meet again as adults and fall in love after one of them undergoes sex-reassignment surgery.
- Romeos is a film about a romance between two men, one who is trans.
- Soldiers Girl, based on a true story, this movie is about a soldier and a trans woman falling in love and how others react to the relationship.
- Tomboy has heavy elements of a Puppy Love between a girl and a female-character-presenting-as-male. It's vague if Laure is a Butch Lesbian or a trans boy.
- Annie on My Mind, a lesbian Young Adult novel. That rare thing: one with a definite happy ending for the lesbian couple.
- Aristotle And Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe, a novel that focuses more on the coming-of age aspect of the main character, but without brushing aside the LGBT themes.
- Boy Meets Boy, a queer high school romance (and possibly the most cheerful and adorable one ever at that) by David Levithan
- The Book of All Hours, where the central story is Jack trying to save his love Thomas from dying by finding the one fold in the multiverse of the Vellum where he isn't murdered. Also, a brutal criticism of the trope Bury Your Gays.
- The Catch Trap by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- A fair number of British boarding-school stories written by Dorita Fairlie-Bruce and Angela Brazil, among others. Just to what extent these reflect overt lesbianism is up to you, but kissing between best friends (implied to be several kisses in a row, delivered with feeling, and not just a hesitant stolen peck) occurs in the canons of both the above authors and would appear to satisfy this trope.
- Some of Edgar Pangborn's post-holocaust stories feature strong same-sex friendships, often implied to be gay ("Tiger Boy") if not stated outright ("Harper Conan and Singer David", "The Night Wind"). And yes, most of these friendships/romances are doomed, one way or another.
- Katherine V. Forrest wrote lesbian romances (such as An Emergence of Green) as well as mysteries and science fiction with lesbian relationships.
- The Giddy Death Of The Gays And The Strange Demise Of Straights focuses on the romance between two heterosexual men.
- Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin — a tragedy not a romance.
- Gossamer Axe — An Urban Fantasy with a Lesbian romance as the central theme (and the plot's driving force) and portrayed in a refreshingly positive light throughout.
- I Am J is about a teenage trans boy named J. A large portion of the book deals with troubles and tribulations being attracted to women while coming out and starting transitioning over the book.
- Keeping You a Secret — teen f/f romance with a happy ending
- King And King is a children's book about a prince who falls in love with another prince, rather than any of the princesses presented to him. Caused quite a bit of controversy...
- The Last Herald-Mage trilogy of the Heralds of Valdemar series has The Hero Vanyel's homosexuality as a primary plot element. His first love, Tylendel, awakens him not only to his sexual orientation but also to his mage powers, and his sexuality and the reactions of others to it is a defining part of his characterization.
- The Rifter a fantasy novel with a male-male romance at the center of it.
- Slave World has many relationships that breaks with heteronormativity in many ways, from being same-sex relationships to having a power dynamic that isn't at all based on gender.
- The Stone Dance of the Chameleon: male main character Carnelian has romances with two different males during the course of the trilogy.
- The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, a series about queer vampires. It doesn't exactly focus on romance, but it is a major theme.
- Wicked is full of gay and bi characters. The most obvious is Glinda's and Elphaba's relationship, which is very tinged with romantic implications though it's left vague if they were truly ever a couple. Even years after Elphaba's death, Glinda is in mourning.
Live Action TV
- The L Word follows the stories of a group of queer women in Los Angeles.
- Xena: Warrior Princess has Les Yay as a core story element. Since Xena and Gabrielle are soul-mates, they get together in many different incarnations. In the twentieth century, they end up with their clones getting together, their reincarnated selves getting together, and their suspiciously familiar descendants getting together. Therefore, this could be considered a happy-ending, even though the original characters, onscreen, don't get one.
- Orange Is the New Black has quite a few characters that are lesbian or bisexual, including Piper, Poussey, Alex, Nicky, Sophia and Suzanne. The show also includes a transwoman, Sophia, who has had a troubled relationship with her wife and son since transitioning. Romantic relationships are in focus just as much non-romantic ones, and much tension derives from them. The show also addresses and acknowledges issues of homophobia and transphobia.
- Aside from being a serial killer drama, Hannibal focuses a lot on psychology, emotions and the relationships between the characters, mainly the complicated one between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter. They early on develop a deep sense of kinship and mutual understanding, and by the end of the series, its revealed that they have romantic feelings for each other.
- Studio Killers is a 'fictional' band with a bisexual female singer. Cherry has quite a few songs about feelings for women, such as "Jenny" being about her wanting to date her best friend.
- There are several romantic pairings in the play The Miracle At Naples, but possibly the most adorable is the two male best friends who fall for each other.
- Among other themes that were considered subversive at the time, there is a gay romantic pairing in the play Spring Awakening by Frank Wedekind (you may know it from the recent musical version).
- RENT features two main non-straight couples: Maureen/Joanne and Collins/Angel.
- Angels in America revolves around a number of queer characters, including a drag queen, a pair of closeted gay men (not together), and a few open gay men.
- Thrill Me is based on the Leopold and Loeb case, and so Nathan and Richard are in a sexual relationship. Whether it's romantic is a matter of opinion.
- Torch Song Trilogy: follows the romance between Arnold and Ed.
- Black Closet is half detective game, half lesbian-romance game. It's set at a One-Gender School, so both the protagonist and all the romance options are female. Various background characters are also mentioned as at least flirting with being Schoolgirl Lesbians.
- The Freeware Game Calamity Annie.
- "Coming Out On Top" is essentially a series of different gay romances that the Player Character can have.
- The Interactive Fiction game Gun Mute.
- Hustle Cat's main character is specifically gender non-binary, with an in-game option to change chosen pronouns, even mid game. Also there is romance, and cats.
- Brad Evans and Billy Pilder in Wild ARMs 2. Though Billy has a severe traumatic head injury and no longer seems lucid, their love still endures.
- Alfdis And Gunnora - bearded lesbian lady-dwarves.
- The Boy In Pink Earmuffs is a webcomic about two boys who fall for each other.
- Sandra K. Fuhr's comics. Boy Meets Boy deals mainly with a male/male romance. Successor comic Friendly Hostility focuses more on the wider life of a same-sex couple, but keeps romantic elements. However, newest entry to the universe Other People's Business relegates same-sex romance to background details (albeit important background details).
- Fluttering Feelings is a Korean webcomic between two bisexual women slowly realizing their feelings for each other. Until then they had only dated men.
- Griefer Belt - queer criminals hooking up and hanging out.
- Homestuck: There is some teen romance that's given a fair-sized focus in Homestuck, including couples of all orientations: Rose/Kanaya, Dirk/Jake and Horuss/Rufioh, to name a few couples. At least two of the above relationships are rather unhealthy, though.
- Ignition Zero is an Urban Fantasy comic where the protagonist, Robbie, and his friend Orson fall in love. They're both asexual men.
- Incubus Tales focuses on the adventures of a traveling Incubus, and the people he meets.
- Khaos Komix focuses on romance between a cast of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and trans characters.
- Lavender Legend Features a romance between Felicia—a male who was Raised as the Opposite Gender—and the incorrigible Princess Lavender who becomes infatuated with him before she learns that he isn't a girl... though that doesn't slow her down in the slightest. Also, Felicia has a lot of issues to resolve in terms of what it means to hide his true nature in a medieval world that has no concept of "gender identity".
- Leif And Thorn features a slow-burn romance between the title characters, plus some consummated same-sex pairings in the supporting cast.
- The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal is a road trip story which follows the budding romance of a gay Indian man recently disowned by his family and a bisexual, free-spirited hippie as they travel across America.
- Lily Love is a Thai webcomic where the lead character begins to question her sexuality after falling for her neighborhood. Mew and Donut begin dating several chapters in.
- Misfile takes a while, but Ash and Emily become attracted to each other.
- Missing Monday - girl meets girl-from-another-universe.
- Niels - A Danish mob boss has a polyamorous relationship with a married couple.
- The Night Belongs To Us - vampire-werewolf girl-meets-girl.
- Parhelion has a central gay relationship, lesbian side characters, and about seventy percent of aliens go by 'they' when addressed in English.
- Punch an' Pie's main characters are a pair of bisexual women who end up getting involved with both men and women.
- Relativity follows the effects of a lightspeed space travel mission on an astronaut's relationship with her wife. As well as what happens when she ends up in an alternate universe where she and her wife divorced.
- Rockand Riot follows the high school life of two rival gangs in the 50s, with queer couples abounding.
- Their Story is a Chinese webcomic about a girl who falls in Love at First Sight with a girl from the neighboring high school.
- Threading - ladies kissing in space.
- Tripping Over You follows the lives of two British boarding students in love.
- Venus Envy deals prominently with the romantic love life of a bisexual MtF transsexual.
- Welcome To Room 305 has romance elements though most of the comic revolves around friendship between the Politically Incorrect Hero and his Camp Gay roommate, who has a boyfriend but who isn't seen for most of the series. Yoona's Coming-Out Story deals with her learning to deal with her heavy gayngst and becoming comfortable with dating women.
- Welcome to Night Vale features the Adorkable romance of Cecil and Carlos in addition to the usual eldritch horrors of the eponymous town in the desert, starting in episode 25 where Carlos reciprocates Cecil's crush and in episode 27 when they start dating.
- Mix Beer With Liquor And You Will Get Sicker is a romantic fiction between ambiguously autistic main, Lauchlan and Corbin, set in a pseudo historical, victorian setting.
- you could make a life is notable for having not one, but seven male/male romances, each with their own individual story set in a slightly modified NHL universe. Each one of them also covers a different type of relationship: there's the obligatory Coming-Out Story, but also a May-December Romance, a Destructive Romance, a romance between rivals, and more.
- Carmilla the Series is a Setting Update to the famous Lesbian Vampire story Carmilla. It features many queers and vampires, including the two protagonists, Carmilla, a lesbian vampire with loads of history, and Laura, a precocious university student and part-time investigator of the paranormal at Silas University. Their friends include childhood friends Perry, an orderly, mortherly girl who clean when she is nervous, and La Fontaine, a gender-queer science geek who may or may not be in love with a former digitalized human soul.
- Coupleish has the nonbinary Dee falling for a woman named Rachel.
- Gems in Steven Universe are Humanoid Aliens who have no gender, but all present themselves in a feminine way and use "she/her" pronouns. Ruby and Sapphire, the Gems who fuse to make up Garnet, are confirmed by both Word of God and in the show to be in a romantic relationship. One of the plot points for an episode is that Garnet doesn't want to be in a romantic relationship, because she is a romantic relationship. Pearl's devotion to and feelings for Steven's mother, Rose Quartz, have also been confirmed by both Word of God and shown in the show to be romantic.