Webcomic: Always Raining Here
"Adrian is heartsick, Carter is horny. This is a story about their misadventures as awkward teenagers as they fumble through unrequited romances."
—Summary of Always Raining HereAlways Raining Here is a Boys' Love webcomic about a teenage boy named Carter Brooks, who recently realized that he was gay, and Adrian Hlaváček, a theater kid that is the focus of Carter's unwanted hormones.The first few pages start off during the 26th of March, 2011 with the two boys on the side of the road on either end of a pink bicycle. Dialogue is exchanged briefly before the first chapter actually starts, which explains the thirty-two days leading up to the opening scene.For the majority of the first and second chapters, Carter does his best to get Adrian to sleep with him, using every method from flat-out asking him in a bookstore to installing a confetti cannon into Adrian's locker and stuffing hand-written notes into seemingly every crevice. To Adrian's disdain, his friend Maria is even encouraging Carter's desperation. However, Adrian is still getting over a past love - David - and does not appreciate Carter's advances, to say the least.The story takes a somewhat darker turn during a party they attend, in which both Adrian and Maria drink something with roofies in it. Carter finds a drunk and horny Adrian in the coat room, where they make out for a few pages. Soon after, Carter leaves and ends up saving Maria from an unknown hockey player.In the second volume, both decide to start over and begin again as friends. Carter decides to get to know him better and genuine feelings begin to develop between the boys as they spend more time together. They eventually become rather close, as Carter helps him in gathering props in theatre, hanging out together in the treehouse, texting each other for hours, eating pizza with their best friends Maria and Jason, watching the stars together, and playing video games at Adrian's house.The first page can be found here.
This comic provides examples of:
- All Gays Love Theater: Adrian. He joins the school theater. And sings.
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: Played with in regards to Carter.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Adrian is implied to still have feelings for David while being the object of Carter's affections.
- Art Evolution: The art style used in the comic starts off very angular, and 'pointy', with the way characters pose looking slightly odd. Fast forward to the newest pages, in which the art looks more professional, shading and poses look well done, and Hazel (the artist) showing a teensy bit of manga inspiration.
- Back Story: Exists in the form of short side stories found here. Explains the relationship between Adrian and David prior to the comic.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Carter. Even though he's after Adrian for a one-night-stand and flirts like a mad man, he didn't take advantage of Adrian when he was drunk at the party.
- Deadpan Snarker: Adrian in response to Carter's antics.
- Fanboy: Carter is one of Nintendo, according to his character profile on the site.
- How We Got Here: The first few pages depict Carter and Adrian after a bike crash, and the thirty-two days leading to said scene are shown in the following pages.
- Incompatible Orientation: The problem between Adrian and David, as explained in the short story.Spring in December.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Adrian initiated a full make out session when he was drunk.
- The One That Got Away: David, for Adrian.
- Slice-of-Life Webcomics
- Stalker with a Crush: Carter towards Adrian, in the beginning at least.
- Straight Gay: Carter. One of his hockey acquaintances was surprised when he finds out that Carter's gay.
- But then again maybe that's because he's dated girls before.
- Tsundere: Adrian is this, especially in Extras.
- Wrong Guy First: Before Carter comes into view, it was David who stole Adrian's heart.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Maria, arguably, who gives Carter the combination to Adrian's locker so he can stuff it full of love letters, and makes faces like this when the two seem to be getting along more.