Tripping Over You
is a Slice of Life
webcomic by Suzana H. and Owen W. It is a love story about the two male main characters
, Milo and Liam. It addresses the awkwardness that comes from having feelings for someone you shouldn't, especially when set in the odd mix of drama and humor that is secondary boarding school
. It also features their friends and their day-to-day lives.
Basically, think stuffy closet case meets camp flirt
. With British Accents
This webcomic contains examples of:
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Averted; both Milo and Liam turn out to have no prior sexual experience and have to consult the Internet about how to perform Their First Time.
- Allergic to Love: Archie nearly has an apoplectic fit when it is suggested he might be left alone with the girl he is currently on a date with.
- All Gays Love Theater: Milo, who receives homophobic insults from other students for his participation in theatre alone. Subverted with Liam, who is indifferent about the school plays until he learns that Milo is acting in them.
- All There in the Manual: Understanding the first pages and the comments on them gets a lot easier if you have the cast page open.
- Alt Text
- Ambiguously Brown: Milo. Word of God says that he's half-Lebanese.
- Art Shift: With the start of Chapter 5, the comic is now in full color.
- Bait-and-Switch Lesbians: Kat and Penny.
- Bathroom Stall Graffiti: Appears in this comic, though similar easter eggs appear frequently in backgrounds throughout the series.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Liam has specific demands in order to keep their relationship secret, and is unpleasantly surprised when Milo complies.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Milo and Liam. Although once they get over the first couple of humps in their relationship, they're actually closer to being Sickeningly Sweethearts in private.
- Berserk Button: Milo and Dirty Dancing.
- Camp Gay: Milo fits the bill, despite his feeble attempts to tone down his camp in public. Doesn't stop his friends from insisting that he's "good with girls", for some reason.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Milo. Played With as he does says it (and then some) in the first chapter, but it turns out it took him over two years to get there.
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate: Time travel paradoxes (or lack thereof) are serious business.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Milo constantly teases and flirts with Liam before and after they get together, but when Liam asks him to cut down on the PDA he fulfills his request so well that Liam comes to regret it, and Liam is actually the one to bring up the topic of Their First Time because Milo didn't think he would be interested in it.
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: Milo resembles Mika a lot. Ostensibly neither confirmed nor denied by the authors.
- Coming-Out Story
- Didn't Think This Through: Inviting Milo on Archie's date was supposed to help how?
- He apparently assumed Milo was "good with girls". Umm...
- Dogged Nice Guy: Milo to Liam in the first chapter. Archie can also be interpreted as this towards Chloe.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Liam, repeatedly. He's shown in the flashbacks to have started out with long hair only to cut it off because his father "said it made me look like a poof" cut off his long hair. In the present day, he confirms that he's growing his hair out but that his father wants him to cut it again
- Forgets to Eat: Liam has shown tendencies to do this.
- Geeky Turn-On: For Milo, time travel paradoxes◊.
- Kiss-Kiss-Slap: Kind of a Moment Killer.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Milo is partial to a little liquid courage, which Liam is quick to point out. That doesn't stop him from kissing back on two separate occasions.
- Half Truth: Liam's recounting of the events in the first chapter.
- Hand Behind Head
- Hypocrite: Liam invites Milo to Archie's date because he's "good with girls", then blows up at him for demonstrating it.
- It Seemed Trivial: Liam could have saved himself a lot of trouble if he'd thought to mention to Milo that the date was for Archie, not him.
- Lonely Rich Kid: It's implied Liam's been seeing a therapist for some time before the strip begins.
- Longing Look: It takes Liam a few seconds to detach his gaze from Milo's unintentional tonguework.
- Milo lights up any time he sees Liam.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Liam at first. "No more... staring at me... with those exceptionally blue eyes."
- Milking the Giant Cow: Milo is an actor, even when he's on his own.
- Must Have Caffeine: According to his description on the cast page, Liam's blood 'is more caffeine than plasma'. He also appears to forget an entire conversation held before his morning coffee.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever Zeigler had to do with thumbtacks, it's blackmail-worthy.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Milo pretty much takes any opportunity he can to play with Liam's hair.
- Oblivious to Love: Liam in the first chapter.
- Open Minded Parent: Milo's father, who doesn't bat an eyelash to the news that his son is dating Liam. He even likes Dungeons & Dragons!
- Opposites Attract
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Milo has this down.
- Relationship Upgrade
- Rich Bitch: Noel. Liam shares a lot of her attitudes on social status, though that might just be because it's Noel.
- Sarcasm Mode: Few things Liam says are not sarcastic; however, an eye-roll frequently lets the reader know his intentions.
- Say It with Hearts: Milo towards Liam at times. Liam begins getting on it too as their relationship deepens.
- Secret Relationship
- "Shut Up" Kiss: While Liam is in the middle of promising brimstone and hellfire if his father finds out.
- Socialite: Some people want to be doctors when they grow up. Noel wants to be a debutante.
- Stealth Insult: Milo to Chloe, before he figures out she's on a date with Archie, not with Liam.
- Something Else Also Rises: Liam's zipper is affected by Milo's proximity as much as the rest of him in these strips.
- Straight Gay: Liam, although there isn't much evidence of his sexuality outside his interactions with Milo.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry:
- Ten Minutes in the Closet: Milo and Liam's version of this in the bathroom, which ends rather unsatisfactorily.
- Their First Time: In chapter 5.
- The Chessmaster: Penny, who orchestrates a meeting between Milo and Liam at the Halloween party in spite of Liam's initial refusals.
- Transparent Closet: Milo keeps his so clean it sparkles.
- Twice Shy: Archie and Chloe. They are a match made in the most awkward of heavens.
- Uptight Loves Wild
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Although it becomes resolved at the end of the second chapter.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Liam towards his strict and conservative father.
- Will They or Won't They?: The first two chapters revolve around this.
- Word of God: there is a lot of information to be gleaned from the authors' answers to readers' comments and uStream chats.