Not every love happens at first sight.
A 2014 drama film directed, written and co-produced by Daniel Ribeiro.
Leonardo is a blind teenager who has to cope with the way people treat him. Bullies at school and an overprotective mother at home, plus the fact that he has never kissed anyone. Trying to become more independent, he considers trying an exchange program abroad, but the arrival of a new classmate leads him to develop new feelings.
Originally titled Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho
(Today I Want to Go Back Alone), it was based on the short film Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho
(I Don't Want to Go Back Alone), by the same creator.
Provides Examples Of:
- All There in the Script: The teachers' names are only given in the credits.
- Ascended Extra: Subverted with Larissa.note She still plays her role, but she barely even appears.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: When Leonardo decides to sleep wearing Gabriel's forgotten sweatshirt...
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Fábio, who is the one who teases Leonardo the most. His evilest was attempting to trick Leonardo into kissing Karina's puppy believing it was a girl.
- Brick Joke: When Gabriel commented about learning braille being impossible, Leonardo replied that "impossible" would be for him to guide a bike. The movie's final scene is Leonardo guiding a bike with Gabriel taking a ride.
- Catch Phrase: Leonardo often reacts to his friends being silly by calling "Besta." (dolt).
- Coming-of-Age Story: It's centered on Leonardo's desire to be independent, with sexuality floating around it.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Leonardo has a dream about Karina calling Gabriel to go swimming with no need for bathing suits. It happens, but they keep their underwear on and have the courtesy of inviting Leonardo.
- Flipping the Bird: One of Leonardo's reactions to Fábio's teasing.
- Girlfriend in Canada: To avoid kissing Karina, Gabriel makes up stories about a girlfriend in his hometown.
- The Handicapped And The Helper: Being Leonardo's best friend, Giovana does him many favors, including taking him home everyday, even though she needs to walk two blocks further than her house. Gabriel later takes her role, causing some jealousy.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Leonardo wants to be independent, and claims to be sick of people trying to control him.
- In-Series Nickname: Leonardo and Giovana are commonly addressed as Léo and Gi. At one point, Karina calls Gabriel "Ga", which is not as usual.note
- Karma Houdini: The worst that happens to Fábio is the teacher sending him to the principal in the beginning of the film.
- Kick the Dog: When Leonardo is walking by himself, Fábio and his gang make him trip.
- Last Guy Wins: In the ending, another new student comes and takes the seat beside Giovana.
- Love Triangle: Giovana gets jealous about Leonardo and Gabriel's closeness. She hopelessly kisses Gabriel when they're drunk.
- And then Karina takes Giovana's place, only now Leonardo is the jealous one. Gabriel evades her through Girlfriend in Canada.
- One Steve Limit: Subverted. Leonardo's father is named Carlos and the vodka student is called Carlinhos.note
- Only One Name: Everyone. Very common, in Brazilian productions.
- Open-Minded Parent: While Laura states it's final that Leonardo won't go for the exchange program, Carlos later promises him that he'll try to convince her otherwise.
- Running Gag: People inviting Leonardo for vision-centered activities,note oblivious/forgetting about his condition. He ends up going to all of them, anyway.
- Sentimental Drunk: Vodka was the key for both Giovana to steal a kiss from Gabriel and Gabriel to steal a kiss from Leonardo.
- Shirtless Scene: When Gabriel goes to Leonardo's room for the school project, he changes his shirt in front of him.
- Shower Scene / Shower Shy: Leonardo refuses to shower with the other boys, and even when he and Gabriel were the only ones there, he kept his trunks on. For a while...
- Spin the Bottle: It leads to Leonardo's first kiss, in an unexpected way.
- Swapped Roles: Gabriel gives Leonardo rides on his bike. In the end, they switch.
- Take-That Kiss: Downplayed. A variation with no kiss.
(Leonardo, Gabriel and Giovana pass by, Léo holding Gabriel's arm)
Fábio: Hey! I see the relationship is firm, huh?
(They stop. Leonardo lets go of Gabriel's arm and they hold hands instead)
Fábio's friend: (chuckles) You fucked yourself, sucker.
- Title Drop: With the original title. When something kept Giovana from accompanying Leonardo on his way home, he stated he wanted to go back alone that day.
- Twofer Token Minority: The protagonist is blind and gay.