It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
So your favorite couple is in the middle of a deeply romantic scene. The camera zooms, the lighting is perfect, and the music swells up. Chances are, the music playing is the couple's love theme. May also be designated as such in official soundtracks.
This music can take on several forms, depending on the characters involved, the setting, and the story moment when it is played. If it plays over a deeply romantic scene like a Big Damn Kiss
or a Grand Romantic Gesture
, it's likely to be an epic, sweeping Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
. However, it may also be a Tear Jerker
if played over a breakup, a Last Kiss
, or when one lover dies in the other's arms
. Many themes end up as both a CMoH and a tear jerker at some point. In musical theater, such a theme is likely to show up as Duet Bonding
and then repeat instrumentally.
Compare Love at First Note
, Dance of Romance
, Duet Bonding
, and Falling in Love Montage
Subtrope of Leitmotif
open/close all folders
- The Disney version of Aida, "Elaborate Lives" serves as Radames and Aida's love theme. It recurs as a Dark Reprise near the end when they're dying in the tomb.
- Les MisÚrables has "A Heart Full of Love", which is Marius and Cosette's big love duet. However it only re-appears once and different themes are used for their other scenes together, so there isn't as strong an association as there might be.
- The Phantom of the Opera's "All I Ask of You" between Raoul and Christine, with a reprise later by the Phantom.
- The Student Prince has "Deep In My Heart, Dear," reprised in all four acts.
- "Some Enchanted Evening" from South Pacific.
- Dragon Age:
- Mass Effect has one for each game:
- Final Fantasy X: "Suteki Da Ne" plays as Tidus and Yuna find comfort in each other after several world-shattering revelations.
- The aptly-named "Theme of Love" from Final Fantasy IV plays during scenes between Cecil and Rosa, the Official Couple.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has "Romance In The Air", when Link and Zelda first talk.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: When two characters reach S level support (marriage) either "Id~Serenity" plays if the Avatar is one of them or "Ha, ha! Yes, it will take some getting used to" if between other characters.
- Mother 3's Love Theme, although it's more a theme for love in general (platonic, motherly, romantic, etc.). Also a Recurring Riff.
- Played with in Metal Gear Solid 4, which has a Recurring Riff called "Love Theme", but it is used to represent scenes of Snake's suffering.