Wait guys! I changed my mind. I donít want to come in!
A character, usually male, has to get into a group shower for the first time, but finds the idea of getting naked in front of others uncomfortable. He will often try to avoid having to take a shower using various excuses, before finally summoning up the courage to go through with it, and then realizes he has no reason to be ashamed.
This trope is mostly found in series set in a school, where the character is a student who has to shower with his classmates after PE. Although group showers are the most common example, it can also apply to other places where people are usually naked, like a public bathhouse.
- In Digimon Adventure episode 8, the Digidestined visit a hotel and take a bath, but Joe is too shy to join the other boys. In the uncensored original (pictured above), Matt and Tai try to force him to come in.
- Juvia Lockser of Fairy Tail is shown to be very uncomfortable bathing with the other girls at the Fairy Hills baths.
- In the 1978 movie El Cantor, the 2 daughters of the protagonist refuse to participate in a group shower, mostly because it's both mixed gender and mixed age.
- It's not a plot point, but it's mentioned in the first American Pie movie that Finch showers with his bathing suit on.
- In Freaks and Geeks episode 6, "I'm With the Band," the school introduces the rule that students should shower after PE, but Sam is too shy to do so. Things only get worse for him when he finally tries to overcome his fear, but is pushed out of the locker room and into the hallway without clothes or a towel, leading to a major Humiliation Conga. Although his crush ends up being impressed by it in the end.
- There have been multiple Zits strip about Jeremy's discomfort about having to shower with the seniors after gym. One strip had proposing personal pixelation as a soloution.
- The All Grown Up! episode "Whatís Love Got to Do With It" has Chuckie trying to avoid having to shower, until one of his attempts to do so gets him stranded outside the locker room with no clothes or towel. At the end of the episode he finally overcomes his fear.
- The As Told by Ginger episode "Gym Class Confidential": Hoodsey is not too fond of showering after PE, but Carl manages to convince him otherwise at the end of the episode.
- Another episode reveals that no girl in Ginger's class ever showers after gym because the stalls are so gross, until Courtney does it to be safe during a lice epidemic.
- King of the Hill: This happens to Bobby Hill in "The Incredible Hank."
- The Danny Phantom episode "Eye For An Eye" mentions that Danny only showers after everybody has already left the locker room.
- An episode of Beavis and Butt-Head has Coach Buzzcut trying to force the boys to take a shower after gym, which they've never done before. They stall, and get ready to get in when everyone else has left. Suddenly, the fire alarm rings, and Buzzcut forces the two to leave immediately without letting them get dressed. The two get stuck outside in their underwear, with the whole school laughing at them. It's then shown that Principle McVicker and Buzzcut intentionally set off the fire alarm to get back at them.
- Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones? has Robot Jones avoiding showers in gym class, but not because he's shy of being around the other naked boys, but because he's a robot, he's afraid the water will make him rust. It turns out it doesn't make him rust, to his relief, but it electrocutes the other bathers.
- As proven by the many fora and blogs about this subject, this really is a problem for a lot of (high school) students who are suddenly required to shower after PE for the first time. Bullying (or fear of it) may have a lot to do with some cases.
- Hence why there are a lot of cases of this sort of thing dying out in a number of high schools; as high schools become more oriented towards preparing students for college, they begin to offer more ways to get PE credit.