"Wow, I've never sounded better. I can't believe I've been taking baths all these years."
A character is shown while singing while bathing
or said to do this
— depending on amount of Censor Steam
and Censor Suds
the author uses.
That being a small room with hard walls, its acoustics should be bad enough to resign all worries about voice and quality. Add to it that during the bath time one is alone (usually
) and feels secure (usually
), and it makes more or less a light-hearted version of What You Are in the Dark
. Though usually someone overhears the singing character anyway. As a narrative device, this usually is an opportunity to show that the character is in good mood and to demonstrate amusing quirks (beyond this habit as such).
Mostly a Comedy Trope
. Happens a great deal in Real Life
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
Films — Live-Action
- There's an old Norman Wisdom film in which somebody hides a microphone in our hero's bathroom, records him singing in the bath, and pretends it's his own work.
- Summer Stock begins with Judy Garland singing "If You Feel Like Singing" in the shower.
- In one of The Naked Gun movies, Jane is in the shower singing when an assassin walks in to try to kill her. He is entranced by her singing and starts to hum along, then gets louder and louder until he starts belting, which causes Jane to find out he's there and run away.
- Pitch Perfect contains a scene where the protagonist Beca's singing talent is discovered in this way. Beca is forced to sing a duet with Chloe while they're both in the shower and naked. Beca is embarrassed but Chloe doesn't see anything wrong with this.
- In To Rome With Love, Woody Allen's character discovers his daughter's future father-in-law has an amazing voice because of this. He gets him to audition, which fails horribly, because it turns out he can only sing in the shower. Eventually, they stage an opera in which everyone is in appropriate period dress, except him, who sings from a movable shower cubicle.
- In the beginning of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ferris starts singing "Danke Schoen" in the shower, using the showerhead as a mike. This of course foreshadows his performance when he hijacks a float in a parade later on that day.
- In Elf, Jovie sings "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in the shower. Buddy listens and tries to join in, freaking her out.
- In Easy A, Olive slowly becomes addicted to the song "Pocketful of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield over her weekend, and is shown singing it in the shower as she grows to like it more and more.
- The Love Boat: Gopher is overheard singing in the shower and is really good, so he's talked into singing at the crew/guest Talent Contest. But it turns out he's good at singing only while in the shower; so they make a prop shower for him to sing in for the show.
- Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger: Umeko’s favorite pastime, taking a bath, is often accompanied by singing.
- Doogie Howser MD: Doogie has been seen on a couple of occasions belting out a few random Rolling Stones and Righteous Brothers tunes in the shower (granted he can sing); usually ends with Vinnie subsequently barging in on him.
- Doctor Who
- The Doctor is heard singing in the shower in episode "The Lodger", while he's sharing a flat and trying to act like an ordinary human being.
- And the third Doctor sings the shower in the hospital his first appearance in "Spearhead from Space".
- This is how Mr. Schuester learns of Finn's singing talent.
- This scene is mirrored in season 2 with Finn hearing Sam in the locker room shower.
- Orange Is The New Black : Taystee sings in the shower in S 1 Ep 1, and Vee sings in the shower in Season 2. Red overhears the latter—this is how she discovers her nemesis is back.
- Sesame Street: Ernie sings "Rubber Duckie" (naturally enough) in the bath.
- The toon/game "One Two, One Two" on Homestar Runner has Strong Bad doing this, for some reason referring to himself as a woman and girl many times in the song (although he could just be singing an In-Universe existing song by a female singer and not bothering to genderswap the lyrics).
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: Eddy does this in the beginning of Over Your Ed.
- Stickin' Around: The beginning of The Scarlet Pimple shows Stacy Stickler doing this.
- In the Hey Arnold! episode "Mr. Hyunh Goes Country", Arnold and Gerald hear Mr. Hyunh singing surprisingly well in the shower, and convince him to record a demo and become a star.
- An entire episode of The Flintstones is based on the discovery that Barney could sing really well — but only while bathing. Cue a Zany Scheme to have him perform onstage in a bathtub.
- Wakfu: In season 1 episode 22, a mirage of Evangelyne under the shower is heard humming the show's tune.
- An episode of Recess had the teacher's discover Mikey's great singing voice (by Robert Goulet) that he only sings in while he's in the bathroom, so they train him to sing like that everywhere else (starting with dismantling the bathroom while he sings).
- In the Looney Tunes series, you can always expect the characters to be singing while bathing, usually either "Singing in the Bathtub" or "April Showers."