From left: Princess Lavender, Maid Felicia, Sir Grengis.
Lavender Legend is a Low Fantasy
webcomic which uses the classic "Topple the evil King" quest plot to frame some very poignant questions about free will, identity, and attraction.
Set in the medieval kingdom of Maeve in the slightly magical land of Ever, the story introduces us to Princess Lavender, a naive Blue Blood
effectively imprisoned within an opulent manor and forbidden to see or be seen by any males by order of her father, King Meavian
. She is aware that there exists more to life than tea parties and desserts
, and that her father has been waging a ruinous religious war against the neighboring country of Amonun for years, but she is initially powerless to change anything and is despondent over her impotence.
Working at her beck and call are a small team of female maids
, including the tall and aloof Felicia, who is far more serious and dour than the other girls.
Lavender and Felicia quickly form a close bond, and soon vow to leave their respective lives behind them in order to face the king and demand answers from him, even as they try to figure out what they mean to each other... and what Felicia's identity means to himself.
Provides Examples Of:
- Art Evolution: Chapter two is when the artist really starts to hit her stride, mostly in terms of visual aesthetic but also writing quality.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Felica.
- Celibate Hero: Felicia, to a T. Lavender... less so. Much less.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Lavender can be this when Grengis tries (and fails) to flirt with Felicia. (See picture.)
- Death Seeker: Felicia.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Averted. Lavender is practically a prisoner in a gilded cage and not happy about it, even though she puts on a cheerful face. Her mother is also a prisoner of sorts and unhappy enough to work towards overthrowing her husband.
- Gender-Blender Name: Felicia Though he suspects his mother gave him that name thinking he ''was'' a girl.
- Handicapped Badass: Sir Grengis is still quite an adept and capable fighter even with his left leg amputated to the mid-femur.
- Handsome Lech: Sir Grengis is not above making passes at a pretty girl... or a group of pretty girls.
- Ice Queen: Felicia towards Sir Grengis, though it's FAR more complicated than Grengis thinks.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Lavender's explanation, before The Reveal, of her feelings for Felicia.
- Incompatible Orientation: Sir Grengis towards Felicia. Again - FAR more complicated than Grengis thinks.
- La Résistance
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The site's title banner gives away Lavender and Felicia's feelings towards each other - but nothing else.
- Love Triangle: Type 4. Sir Grengis -> Felicia -><- Lavender
- Luminescent Blush: Felicia, whenever Lavender starts getting... cheeky.
- Masquerade: Felica's gender.
- Parental Abandonment: Lavender is imprisoned and promptly forgotten by her father, though her mother does try to send her gifts. Felicia's father died in the war. Then his mother dies in childbirth.
- Maids: Of the demure Meido variety, rather than the sassy French variety.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Lavender wants Felicia regardless of his gender.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Felicia.
- The Chick: Lavender.
- The Lancer: Sir Grengis.
- The Leader: Felicia.
- The Reveal: WITH DRAMATIC SHOUTING
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: Subverted and Played for Laughs. Subverted after The Reveal, when Felicia decides not to kill Lavender. It's played for laughs afterwards when Felicia is irritated at Lavender's inability to kill him.
- Villain with Good Publicity: King Maevian XIII is very savvy when it comes to putting a good spin on his nefarious deeds.
- Will They or Won't They?: Lavender and Felicia.
- Word of God: The creator of Lavender Legend is very explicit in the comments about referring to Felicia with masculine descriptors, and insists that Felicia is not a truly transgender character... or at least that he does not qualify as being one seeing as how he was forced to live his life as a female and has never been given a chance to figure out for himself if he is transgender or not.